What's happening here...

S2IM

It's going in next week to get this looked over by Joe but not sure what's going on here.

When sitting in the drivers seat it almost feels like you are leaning into the centre console slightly. Ie the car doesn't feel even.

Under braking the front left (passenger side) compresses a lot further (dips down) than the front right meaning that the rear end feels like it wants to come round on me. Had this happen twice on the A41 when needing to brake suddenly. Testing on the way home on an empty road at say 30/40mph it does the same but not as extreme as i experienced twice before obviously due to going slower.

I know the car needs a front drop link doing on the front left. Would this cause these symptoms?

Changing the firmness of the dampers doesn't seem to change the behaviour too much either from soft to hard. It's probably worse on soft.

I did a quick measurement. Approx 320mm all round using a tape measure so that seems ok. But probably not exact.

The only other thing which I think is tyre related is the rear end is very loose. But this could also be a symptom of the pitch of the car under acceleration and braking as above. Hard to explain but it's not inspiring confidence. I think I could take a corner quicker in the CRV at the moment.

Maybe the only the only thing is now it has all fully settled something needs tightening

Hands up i don't like how this reads but i would like the drop-link replaced and those dodgy rear tyres and then we can survey our fitting/ geometry calibration and the product in the clear light of day.... I have spoken to Joe and he is more than confident there's not an underlying reason but maybe a combination of reasons, nevertheless i will be in on Thursday to examine the car with Joe....... You bring the milk though cos i like me tea :D

I would say about 6/7k but there's still plenty of meat on them. Think they were fitted last May? Can tyres go off?

Drop links are getting done Wednesday before WIM and although not gone yet, they are being replaced as precaution as one looked weak.

It's almost as if one of the shocks isn't working as hard as the other when braking at the front or a binding brake but if it was that I would expect a hot wheel etc etc.

Will be leaving the car on the drive till next week

I can bring milk but I hope the tea machine has been installed now :D

New machine is due :smile_anim: ....... We need to examine the car fully rather than speculate but whatever something isn't right.... Rich the roll bar is a transverse coil designed to control the sprung lateral load so even static it holds a memory position if connected.

Iain took me out in it tonight, it did it at first but then stopped. Brake hard in a straight line and the car veered off to the right, i.e could be towards oncoming traffic. The front left did dip down.

I thought maybe the front left caliper isn't working properly so the force of the right brake is pulling the car. However it braked fine after it did this and the tyres showed no sign of letting go even with the arse end out!

Have to see what they find on the ramp on Thursday...

I don't think it's the tyres, if they've gone off surely the problem would be there constantly? They were performing very well tonight!

In the past I've experienced worn wishbone bushes that can cause a pull (not as bad as this) under braking but usually it would also wander on the motorway as well as knock on bumps. This was with vertically mounted bushes and I think the MX5 has both of these horizontally mounted so the movement when worn should be less. If it was ball joint related I would expect a knocking noise from them. I'm sure Joe would've picked up on anything like this when fitting the coilovers and doing the geo though so we'll have to see what is found on Thursday.

How's things then :banana-popcorn:

Joe and myself reviewed all the work which was up to code but Joe dialled in some fine-tuning in regard to trim height/ pre-load and additional geometric castor for added stability.

Initial feel is that it's better. It's lost the floaty feeling at motor way speeds and the rear seems to be working harder. Only drove it down to Rickmansworth and back so plan is to give her a good old clean tomorrow and blow the cobwebs off round the lanes here. Been away for the weekend in the other car. Will provide an update tomorrow for you!

I appreciate the work you guys (especially Joe) are putting into this and trying to get it spot on. Thanks for having a mooch over it Thursday tony. The plug and play Teins I had on the Subaru just got on with it. This stuff seems to need a little more config to get it right for the driving style. Joe lowered it a little after the preload adjustment, so far only caught the exhaust once on a mother of a bump with a full tank of fuel and two fat blokes in the seats :D I also hope that will be the last trip until something new to do as conscious of the time/effort spent on the car so far.