P4UL T

My wife's 15 year old Fiesta

This little car continues to impress me.

Just passed its MOT and as usual passed first time with no advisories!

She has had it from new and does very little mileage. It ticked over 12k this morning and it still feels great to drive, nice and tight. It's needed the usuals over the years (battery, exhaust and tyres) but these only needed to be replaced because to the lack of use it gets.

As of a few years ago, due to how little it's now worth it only gets serviced every 2 years (1800 miles) and when it gets warmer I will do the next one myself.

Obviously if the mileage was higher it may be a different story but over all it is great little car

Is that a W or X reg then? They don't rust much, not like the Fords of the 80s. That is seriously low miles though, why doesn't it get used much?

W reg Rich.

When she first got it she used to just drive a mile each way to work. Then we used to commute together.Then she had a few years off work when she had the boy and now again she only commutes a mile each way to the station.

To be honest we don't need both cars, but she is a really nervous/crap driver and will not drive too far or drive my car. Additionally the Fiesta is too small to be our main car.

It is cheap to run tho. £215 a year to insure us both on it, £145 tax, £40 mot and servicing is next to nothing. A tank of fuel lasts months! So we keep it

• Like 2

Nope, the garage is my workshop (that's what I tell the wife, it's really my man space for me to escape) and for storage.

Well i'm impressed that it's resisted the tim worm if it's been out in the elements for 20yrs.

They're pretty good now Fords especially that age, my Mondeo only had the rust on the arches, which most cars get anyway. Even the Accord does on one side.

It's definitely worth keeping if it's only costing that much to run, always handy having a spare car :)

No so much for the older car but 12k is really low...... Wonder what  it's worth?

Not much, probably under £800 I'd imagine, you can pick up them up very cheaply now.

We are looking at Fiesta's of this age for my son , been keeping an eye about for a while , i reckon a well loved low mileage one might reach £1200 , condition is key really

I told the insurance company it was worth a grand when we renewed. That was just guess. Not far off

700 miles later and it passed again,

Got an advisory this time tho. Apparently there is a small bit of play in the OSF top mount

700 miles in a year! :o

I'm amazed you don't get any issues from lack of use.

We have had, rear cylinders, exhaust rotted due to condensation build up and think the battery is getting a bit lazy

Bloody hell that's good going after a year asleep....... Makes you wonder how the top mount wore out in 700 miles though :whistle:

If i recall the top mount rubber is floating so when jacked up they do move :blink:

Passed again!

Different MOT station this time, no advisories either.

Only just over 500 miles this year!

That's good :)

Was nothing said about the last advisory, I take it that's actually ok?

The trouble with advisories is they are opinionated.... I mean how much exactly is worn to excess? 

That's good :)

Was nothing said about the last advisory, I take it that's actually ok?

Nope nothing at all. Im assuming it's ok, it was a different station and tester so if there was something wrong a different pair of eyes should have picked it up.