audi a3 8l wheel tyre and coilover issue

jammy

Hey guys been a while since been online but need some help..got this a3 in and its been running 18" wheels with 225/40 tyres on it for months..friday it had new tyres fitted..same size and from other Audi alloys that was on it before. Since fitting tyres the n/s front now sits up against the coilover locking ring and plate..so much so I've had to put 5mm spacer on to bring it out..i know this car and never been crashed and was fine untill tyre change..matching tyres to so I'm out of ideas now

Haha oi ya cheeky git :) not staggered fitment..these wheels been on the customers car four months with not trouble lol..these tyres came off oem Audi wheels with identical specs and thay didn't rub on the car..the fact its only one side is puzzling

Lower arm ball joint i think is your culprit here. If this was not installed correctly the hub will sit incorrectly.

When you look at the car this one wheel must visibly have a greater camber angle than the one that is not touching?

Welcome home stranger...... You say it's "sits up against the coilover locking ring" does  this mean it's not leaning against the ring..... If it's up against it then the reason is new tyres= more tread hence the reason the old ones didn't rub. If this is the case a change in camber won't help but a change in the aspect ratio will, not good to read after fitting new tyres.

Hey tony hope your well?..whats got me is its only one side?I got customer in and we put the vest of the last four tyres on that wheel and don't touch stall now :) majority of 8l a3s with 18s are running 215/35/18 so once we have found the problem if any I have advised this tyre size as the way forward..how can I get a good check of the camber? By eye it looks ok,but looks are deceiving,l... I've got rack boots to change tomorro and then its on the ramp for alingment..camber issues should make the laser line sit further cocked then the divers side yes?

Well yes if it's a camber issue it will be more negative on the NSF.... It's not adjustable though but you can get a little by moving the subframe. 2006> the castor is adjustable.... If there is a bend we need to identify where so if your having the camber/ geometry measured I/ we need to know what the SAI AKA KPI is?

So I went and used my mates geometry machine..i was way to excited to remember its name etc :P spent a good hour checking the car over and making sure all was good.. Being as the car is decked on the ground and rock solid I assume any factory requirments are out the window? I cant upload any attatcments to the thread but a definate verdict of camber issue to the n/s/f its between half and 1 degree negative to the drivers side....the drivers side tire is proper close as it os so any small amount out and the tire was deemed to fail on the coilover....searching around the clubs it appears that setting the toe to 0 is a fav for slammed a3s? And although I have changed wishbones track ends and rods,when on the machine id got both sides al Mio st spot on to 0 :) further online search found the factory measurements for rod and end as r fitted to the car :) a nice experience for me if anything and apparently best the car has ever driven since tbay bought it 😇 so I'm going to locate a hub and then problem solved I hope 😃

No pulling mate,it did always pull when the car was bought,esp light was on and had a fault within the n\s front. This was for over a year before thay got car.during a major down poor here one of the owner got bit of a spin goin on a drain and the car made a sorta noise you get from tc when it kicks in and the light went off and car stopped pulling left..hub got hot?warped it like it done to my mondeo on the rear that time?

post-438-0-69395600-1423413496.jpg

post-438-0-06080500-1423413512.jpg

post-438-0-86611400-1423413525.jpg

post-438-0-03467000-1423413535.jpg

😊 not nad then seeing as its the first time I have used such equipment for alignment 😊 followed instructions and went on instinct from there..is the chassis easy to move?any alignment pins needed?