When are you fitting your winter tyres?

Rich

• 11 months later...

I put the Accord ones on before the MOT last month so a little early but the summer ones are getting low on tread.

I'll do the Civic once I put the car back on the road, providing I've sorted the coolant issue. I think this will be the last winter I'll get out of those tyres but with any luck by next year it would've been replaced.

I'm having to take it easy already on my VRS, I had a comedy moment hitting boost yesterday in 2nd and lighting the wheels up

You know my opinion on winter tyres if it gets so bad they are essential I'll stay at home as the roads will be blocked anyhow, i'm happy to drive accordingly during the winter

A RWD auto BMW is asking to much in the winter even for the avid driver.

I disagree, but everyone has a different skill/confidence level.

Agreed about the skill but pushing the steering wheels is worse than pulling and steering.

• 2 years later...

Has anyone fitted their winter tyres yet? I haven't and looking at the forecast for the next 2 weeks it seems to be warming up again. I've never left it this long before but I seem to be fitting them later every year.

It's been frosty a couple of mornings but I guess by the time I go out it's warmed up. I'll put them on next week when the weather is supposed to be dry.

The tyres on the Accord will last this winter and then I'm selling the rims. If I keep the car I've decided to use winter tyres all year round once the summer ones need replacing. I'll probably be using it as a winter runabout.

On 01/11/2018 at 10:47, Rich said:

Has anyone fitted their winter tyres yet? I haven't and looking at the forecast for the next 2 weeks it seems to be warming up again. I've never left it this long before but I seem to be fitting them later every year.

I've never used them. do you have a seperate set of wheels with them on? what winter tyres do you use Rich?

On the Accord I have the 17" rims for the summer and I bought some 16" rims from a Civic for the winter. Those have had Toyo winter tyres onfor the last 4 years. They've been good but with the car not being used much now I'll be going back to one set of rims/tyres.

The Lexus I bought a set of rims that are the same as what came with the car, 17". Those have Nokian tyres fitted. They were only fitted last year and the winter wasn't too bad but they were great in the cold and frost. You definitely get more grip with them in bad weather even without snow and if you can afford the initial outlay it's worth getting them.

I'm not, the IS-F stays in it's warm garage most of the winter months and the Rav 4 on all weather tyres gets to do it's stuff.  Still have a full set of IS250 17'' rims fitted with Pirelli P-Zero winter tyres in storage if anyone is interested (fits IS250, IS200/300).