When are you fitting your winter tyres?

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

The roads are definitely getting slippery now in the mornings.

I've cleaned the summer wheels but I can't get them dry enough to put them away, it keeps raining. I think I'll be bringing them into the house, that's please the missus! :lol:

Well mine are done, cost me £25 this year though at the gaffer was there and he does things through the books not the pocket :( Just need to wait for a drier and warmer afternoon so I can wash and wax the old ones and put them away. Not sure if they will go in the covers as the alloys are 17 inch.If not I'll buy another set as they weren't expensive.

The same ones as you, I ordered them after you posted about them. Unitec 75555 Tyre Bag 4 Piece cost about £12.50 now about £14.50 so worth it if the current ones don't fit as it makes it easier to lift them into the garage loft.

Only one of the listings on Amazon / eBay says what size wheel/tyre combination they are for ( that's Goodyear ones ) so maybe they are fairly universal. The only problem was mine were the ties around the circumference one end was stitched on the wrong way round so i have to twist them before threading through and pulling the strap.

I have some Dunlop 4d winters in the boot of my car to be fitter tomorrow on my Grand Scenic. The Dunlop 3d's I had on my xsara (still on there now) lasted 3 years now? I think. just got down to the sip indicator with about 8mm tread left, with normal driving they have been exceptional all year round with no noticeable issues but much better in wet, muddy and of course winter conditions.

Hopefully the 4d's are as good as my experience with the 3d's, being on a different car I will have to see!

So my wheels and tyres are washed and waxed, was surprised to see the inside of the wheel was lacquered makes it much easier to clean, fitted the covers and put them away for the winter.

What does a summer alloy and tyre weigh 17 inch approximately. I'd guess at 35kg, am I close? As climbing a ladder with them to put in the garage loft is getting too much for me. May need to look for a block and tackle or similar for the spring. It's a standardish size loft hatch with about three feet clearance above and a brick wall to fix to. Any ideas?

Bit OT... But i have rented a seat leon estate in germany for a few days whilst i see my sister. Idecided to opt for the winter tyres to be fitted for an extra £10.

All i can say is wow. The grip levels are amazing, its not snowing but temp is between 0 and 5 degrees all day.i had to do a quick stop yesterday when a little boy kicked his football in tp the road and there was no drama from the tyres at all

I know its a couple of posts back but yeh, im just down to the first sip indicator, I think theres 2 on the 3d's its at about 8mm but it could be 6mm. First is before the sips run out and the second is when you reach the last fully functional part of the sips just before they run out at about 3mm (I believe).

I have the 4d's on the Grand scenic and its a joy to drive now. On the random different tyres at each corner the car felt so loose, but it feels much more like a coupe than a people carrier now and that's in the dry.

I always appreciated what decent tyres felt like over cheap ones.

I'm not sure I like these Toyo Snowprox I have on the Accord, it was 1 degree coming to work and I could feel the car wanted to slide at the rear on the frost. It didn't but I was driving really carefully. I've probably done under 1k miles on them so they should be scrubbed in by now. I wonder if it's the weight distribution of the car and how long it is, the front must be alot heavier than the rear so maybe I need some weight in the boot over winter?