When are you fitting your winter tyres?

Rich

It was 4-5 degrees leaving for work at 7:45am and there was frost on the windows so winter is on the way!

Thanks for the link though, I never knew they existed so will get one of those :) I was going to get a jump starter but they're not cheap so this would be ideal.

Just noticed that one only does 1A - this is probably a better bet.

http://www.halfords.com/car-seats-travel-equipment/camping-caravanning/coolboxes/halfords-mains-to-12v-accessory-adaptor

It looks like this won't work, I don't know what amp my air pump is but it seems they're over 5A and in the questions on that link someone said it didn't work with theirs. 

I still have the old battery in the shed from the Accord that wasn't holding a very good charge. I've just bought one of these so I'll charge the battery up and see how far I get with it. If the battery is completely knackered I'm sure I can pick a used one up from somewhere.

Never felt the need for winter tyres. Even drove the MX5 through rain, snow and ice. Just 25kg of ballast (Maris Piper) in the boot no problems.

I don't get it.

I have nowhere to store the wheels even if I wanted to :(

Yep frost here as well and lots of fog first thing. We're on our way to Essex for my Nans funeral and it's showing as 5 degrees in the car. I think I jinxed the weather starting this thread! :lol:

It was 3 degrees here this morning... Our neighbour was scraping the ice of his car as i pulled my bike out the garage in my usual shorts and short sleeved top :lol:.

If your not near the cost then winter tyres are a good option but normal tyres should cope in the cold

It comes to something when your insurance company won't insure you for fitting winter tyres as they will be a different speed rating (y instead of w) and it's not "specified" in the handbook. .... If I did my insurance policy is void or I have to have an "engineers report" and an admin charge of £25.

So much for making the car safe.... I'd best use some Chinese imported ditch finder tyres with the "W" letter on then hey. ....

No wonder I hate insurance companies. .....

My parents put an eco tyre on their accord and it was a lower speed rating that what was on there before.

The insurance co did not care as the fastest you can legally go in the uk is 70.. So having tyres rated to 180 is pointless

My parents put an eco tyre on their accord and it was a lower speed rating that what was on there before.

The insurance co did not care as the fastest you can legally go in the uk is 70.. So having tyres rated to 180 is pointless

As long as you tell them then it's okay, and get their reply in writing. As soon as you have an accident and there's money to be paid out, a lower speed rated tyre is an easy way to get out of paying up. Essentially, the car must be fitted with the same spec tyres it left the factory with unless your insurance company have allowed a downgrade. Winter tyres are usually allowed at a lower speed rating due to the added safety factor, but you should inform them of the change regardless.

• Like 1

Changed the wheels over on both cars earlier. The adapter on the spare battery worked a treat, inflated all 8 from 15psi to 32psi with no sign of the battery losing charge. Well worth spending the 4 quid on it and saved me lugging them down the petrol station.

It's a shame one of the summer tyres on the Civic got a screw in the sidewall, it would've done another year so going to replace the pair. Although the uniroyal are good I'm thinking of trying something else.

When I took the wheels out of the shed all of them had condensation on them. I had this last year as well but is it ok to leave them like that or should I put an old towel in between the wheels? The Civic wheels are badly corroded and get worse every year, I'm just concerned the moisture might accelerate things, plus they might start leaking air.

WP_20141109_15_00_46_Pro.jpg