When are you fitting your winter tyres?

Rich

With this unusually hot weather we're having when are you planning on swapping yours over? I'm thinking at least a couple of weeks time now.

I bet we have another mild winter again but lets hope without the storms!

Your situation was dire and a environmental disaster born from the ignorance and financial shortfall embedded by the money hungry authorities who were meant to protect you and your property. In the event i only hope and pray lessens were learnt and what little money that has been spent to belay another sickening post like the one you posted at the beginning of the year.

I think I'll wait another week so the morning/evening temperatures are closer to 7 degrees, it was around 9-10 this morning, which still feels warm for the time of year.

Does anyone use the air machines at garages, how much are they? I have never used them before, always an air pump at home but it nearly killed my battery last year inflating 8 tyres! I think it'll be easier and quicker to run them down to the garage and inflate them.

I used to use the ones at garages (the ones I've used have always been free) but then got my own and do it at home.

Could just get something like this if it's causing your battery trouble?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-12w-acdc-fixed-voltage-12v-power-supply-n35az

I deflate my tyres to around 10psi for storing so with the pump I use it takes forever to reinflate them, around 20 minutes for 4 tyres. I don't like running the engine and leaving it to idle for that period of time. Plus the battery doesn't charge properly this way.

Thanks for the link though, I never knew they existed so will get one of those :) I was going to get a jump starter but they're not cheap so this would be ideal.

I know that but are they free or do they charge, I've never used one?

About 20p i think.

That's good to know, cheaper than I thought it would be.

Thanks for the link though, I never knew they existed so will get one of those :) I was going to get a jump starter but they're not cheap so this would be ideal.

Just noticed that one only does 1A - this is probably a better bet.

http://www.halfords.com/car-seats-travel-equipment/camping-caravanning/coolboxes/halfords-mains-to-12v-accessory-adaptor

Most tyre centres will do it for free..... We do.

Would they, most tyre centres like to rip you off so I'm not so sure. I would take them to WIM if it was only down the road but it's easier to just do them at home :)

Just noticed that one only does 1A - this is probably a better bet.

http://www.halfords.com/car-seats-travel-equipment/camping-caravanning/coolboxes/halfords-mains-to-12v-accessory-adaptor

I was just about the say the same thing and found that one as well. I'll have to check what rating my compressor is first but if that can power a coolbox it should be ok.

I ran the winters on the Corolla for 2 years and they're still on the car with the new owner although the fronts will need replacing soon. They have around 12k miles, which seems to be the norm with summer tyres on a FWD.