Too much choice, and confused (MK5 Golf GTi)

juzzyp

I haven't been to the WIM forum in ages, it's good to be back.

I used to own a highly modified MK2 MX5 and RX7, Tony and the WIM guys worked on the alignment and fitted tyres on both of them. The 5 started to rust and the large fuel tank on the 7 was hitting the wallet - so I sold up and bought a MK5 Golf GTi.

It's a great little car, I'm leaving it stock but the options for tyres worse than the 5 and because there's SO many owners, so I've two questions:

1) What is a good tyre for a MK5 Golf GTi? -- I've heard good things about Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's and Goodyear Eagle Asymetric's are good, but looking for an all rounder, not just a summer tyre.

2) Some owners are saying, move the rear tyres to the front and replace the backs? .... but the fronts drive the car, so why do the backs, I know there's an argument for both.

The tyres depth are getting low, the gang at BB/WIM won't be happy when they see them, so any advice would be appreciated as they'll need replacing very soon.

Right... Is it a gti petrol or diesel?

The sessantas are great, i used then on my accord and they where the best tyres i had used on a car that size.

Mps3's are soft.. Very good grip.. But wear out rather fast (friend runs these on his audi tt quatro sport)

When replacing tyres, fit new ones to the rear and move the rears forward. This is due to the fact an understeer is easier to correct that oversteer.

Welcome back :D

The Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta get the best feedback and then the Goodyear Eagle Asymetric's but don't expect 20k out of them because mileage is sacrificial on these types of tyres.

As for moving them i say no and always have done.... Two reasons, one it was a ploy by the tyre shops to gain extra wheel balance before the rears go on the front and two modern tyres adopt a profile according to weight distribution so moving them means they need to adopt another profile and this can make them distort.

I had problems with the Eagle F1s (asymmetric 1 though, not the newer 2 version) in cold weather, they became very questionable below about 7C.

Replaced with Michelin PS3s and a lot happier with these. Don't do massive miles so wear isn't a major concern, but having said that they aren't wearing too badly.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread, great to see the forum community so active and helpful.

I popped into the boys at Blackboots, lightining fast service, decided to stay out of the way as they were very busy, the phone was going crazy and they had loads of customers (that's a good thing)

I went with the Vreds, the guy at BB runs them on his powerful car and another four were going on another Golf, the guys here also know their stuff, compared to other tyre centres I'd phoned who didn't even know the brand.

Initial Feedback: The steering is a lot lighter, nice feel, lots of grip, I don't who fitted the last tyres but they did a bad job because I had vibrations, stiff handling and struggled to park the car at times, now I've got less road noise and the car responds better - imagine what it will be like when I get the geometry done next year.

Top work by the boys at BB/WIM.  :D

Top stuff :D

That's why I went for them, Jay runs them on his Audi RS and if he rates them they'll be fine for my Accord.

I've never been a fan of asymmetrical tyres cos of the tramlining, which I did get for a while but it seems to have settled down and I hardly notice any now apart from on some roads with lots of camber.

It's fine Tony, you have the empire of WIM and BB to look after.

Jay looked after my car and I watched your mahoosive TV in the reception, plus I had 4G reception in the workshops to keep me occupied on the phone.

Usual bed in rules apply, I'm not going to go too mad, driving characteristics of the car have also changed to I'll go easy, see you sooner rather than later.

Vredestien did their research and the tyres are amazing. They really do work well.

I sound like i work for them!.

I was truely impressed when i hit a huge amount of standing water on the A3 during a heavy downpour.. Honestly i expected the car to go lite and aquaplane but the tyres dug in and did their job. Apart from a deceleration, they did not leave the tarmac

Within reason for a non-winter tyres. They don't have a temperature cut off like Toyo R888 or Hankook but like any all season tyre snow and ice is a careful playground.

As long as they're reasonable might give these a go next, the Eagle F1s just dropped off so badly below about 7C that they become a bit questionable.

Having said that I've really liked the Michelin PS3s, as well as great grip they're very quiet and comfortable which I also appreciate :)