Meshing lower front bumper

Rich

I am planning on putting some mesh behind the standard grille on both cars cos they are really open which lets the stones and leafs in, causing damage to the condenser. Is there a minimum hole size I should get, I don't want to restrict the airflow to the rad and condenser too much?

Halfrauds and Demon Tweeks are very expensive, 2 sheets would be £50!! I can get 3 sheets delivered on ebay for £23 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191221177180?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I don't want it for styling, just for protection so price over quality is more important. I think 10 x 7mm holes should be fine and if I keep the original grille there as well that would still direct the airflow in the intended direction Honda wanted it.

Silver will be noticeable so I want it black. It will be behind the current grille and you will barely notice it unless you're on your hands and knees looking for it. I can't justify spending £50 on abit of mesh that I won't see!

I have just come across this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16CM-X-5M-GUTTER-MESH-ROOF-GUTTERING-GUARD-COVER-TO-STOP-LEAF-AND-DEBRIS-CLOG-/221395433017?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item338c323639

I think that should be fine, it's £20 cheaper and probably stronger? The only thing is 16cm might not be high enough, 25cm is plenty but I'd have to measure the grilles more accurately. Saying that at that price I might as well get it and overlap them if I have to, 5M would do both cars at least 5 times.

I wouldn't use that gutter guard, it's plastic and a stone at speed will probably go though it. I've got a few rolls of it here from when I used to use it on the gutters.

False economy - I'd buy wire mesh.

I would have thought the stone would need to be pretty big and travelling at some speed to break it. I can always double it up as well to provide extra strength so for a couple of quid it's got to be worth a try. It seems to be a popular option for people looking for protection, especially on Honda's, seems most of their lower bumpers are too exposed.

• 2 weeks later...

I've meshed both bumpers now and used the gutter guard. I doubled it up to give it some extra strength so I'll see how it goes but it should withstand most stones and stop the leaves getting in. I had to get the dremel out and drill several holes to hold it on with as well.

You can barely notice it on the cars. In the photo for the Civic it's more noticeable as there's nothing behind it but on the car you'd have to be on your knees and up close to spot it.

Total cost including 100 cable ties (used about 40!) was £4 :D

accord_mesh_01.jpg

accord_mesh_02.jpg

civic_mesh_01.jpg

civic_mesh_02.jpg

What amazes me is the manufacturers leave the bumpers so open and exposed like this, adding some kind of protection would only cost them pennies.

After seeing my rad yesterday (see photo in aircon thread) and all the feathers stuck to it I'm thinking of maybe adding some to the top grille as well.

What amazes me is the manufacturers leave the bumpers so open and exposed like this, adding some kind of protection would only cost them pennies.

When talking about thousands of cars, the cost implication might actually be quite high. Plus repairs needed from things that get through the gap is extra income for them too :)