Ford Fiesta knocking noise

Rich

It's a 2010 (MK7 I think) Ford Fiesta that has developed a knocking noise on the NSF, mainly since hitting a pothole. It's gradually got worse and is very noticeable on full lock.

We can't feel any play in the wheel or when getting a bar in there, it all feels pretty solid. The ball joint boot has a split in it as grease is seeping out so we've got to change that but it looks like there is something odd with the TRE. When looking at it straight ahead I think the pin/ball part is bent, it's certainly sitting differently to the other side.

If this is bent could it cause this knocking noise?

We're not sure what else it can be. The drop links are the long type and you can twist them side to side in your hand but they feel solid.

The NSF tyre does have inside wear but they've only had the car 5-6 months so this is probably from before they bought it. I assume as with all Fiestas it only has adjustable front toe?

No definitely not a clicking, I went out in the car yesterday and it's a loud knocking noise, seems to be getting worse. In a straight line over bumps it's fine, which suggests the drop links are ok. If you steer left it's fine but steer right and you get a loud clunk, especially over bumps or turning into a driveway etc. Going to order a TRE and try that first, it definitely looks different to the other side.

The ball joint/thread part looks slightly bent as you look at it where it sits in the hole on the knuckle. We're changing it today and possibly the ball joint if we have time so will see what happens. The car is still driving and braking in a straight line though.

Well it's not the TRE and Allparts gave us the wrong balljoint so he's had to go back and change it. Going to fit that later I think, but it's lost alot of grease so if it's not that I'm not sure. Both NS wheels have flat spots but he's not noticed any vibrations and a rear tyre has a nail in it so not doing too well!

What a swine of a job that was but we got it done, I definitely need a press though. The old TRE we could twist by hand but the new one you can't and it also did get rid of some knocking after fitting but the ball joint has got rid of the rest :) Now I just need to convince him to get a geo done!

Do you mean the threads were slightly bent when you say folded? By eye there didn't seem to be much difference between the old and new but something obviously wasn't right.

To get the ball joint in we cleaned the hole with the dremel, put the joint in the freezer for a bit, heated the hole up and then it knocked in pretty easily :D But a press would've been better  :smile_anim:

We didn't have any problems getting the new TRE on but couldn't get it back in exactly the same position but the toe was out anyway.

I don't think I've ever watched that program but I've read about people using that method before so gave it a go :D

• 7 years later...

Hi Ryan, welcome to WIM.

It was a combination of the track rod end and Ball joint on the lower arm. But it may not be that on yours, other suspension parts can cause knocking noises too.

Have you jacked the car up to try and trace where it's coming from?