S2IM's MK2 1.8iS MX5

S2IM

I know Jerrick at MeisterR and Alex from BCR because i wanted wim to have it's own brand of BCR's and Alex from BCR aka ( Apex Performance ) said no since they have sole rights, i then questioned how come MeisterR use BCR and he said well ok but other than them Apex have sole rights.

Hehe - I bought my BC's from Apex back in the day - they used to be big on 200sx's not sure if they are more broad now. i think i got them VERY cheap as well. Like £350 or something.

Jerrick was very helpful when i was looking into the tech details with the meisters which sold it for me.

Damping adjusted down to 7f and 5r today. I think that is the ideal setting now for a daily drive. Instead of the banging around I was getting a few days back, you now get a satisfying "ffft ffft" as you hear the dampers working over the bumps :) The way its driving now is brilliant.

They didnt feel hugely bad pre adjustment just  on those larger bumps at sounded like there was no travel.

I can fully imagine they ride just like the meisters now. Tbh i have up until now been adjusting mine at all four corners the same and been happy with the handling. I am running 5 clicks all round off full soft and it feels good. On full softs it feels positively wafty which i actually love. Its better than standard and glides over the bumps. So you should like that as well.

On track : set to full hard all round. Traction out of hairpins and full throttle was absurd. Zero slippage. I think thats what started my std clutch slipping at the end of the day hehe :

Also you might want to look at one of these if its the same as the mk1 : 

Damper-adjustment-extension-cable-01-300

I have one of these on the rear left. It allows you to adjust the damper without taking off the metalwork shielding the fuel filler pipework. I can get to the other side anyway as i lose the spare on track days :)

I can get to all 4 corners easily so no need. There is only a metal plate in the way of the passenger rear and I can get my hand down the back ok. Good idea though. 

Joe mentioned a drop link going so will get a set of those ordered in and book up to get them fitted in the next few weeks. See if we can get it measured and dropped by 10mm all round as well and I think that should be the ride and look all sorted. From what I am feeling, not sure it needs any more preload but again time will see.

You are - normally have to pay £10/£20 I think. Not sure when we are doing one next but hopefully April. Steve?

I would look for one with them Rich, financially viable that way! Only thing is you wont know the condition or if it was all installed properly. Remember, thats what really took time for me to get my head round. Spending the car's value on one thing! Hence keen to make sure it all works as it should.

As I said before you should look at it as a hobby/passion stop trying to look at things at what you will get when you sell it. You won't get your money back at best if you take them off to sell you might get half.

Just enjoy them it's not like you spend loads on anything else :)

I purely want one for weekends and to have abit of fun in. I'll probably only use it in the summer and sorn it over winter. Once I've got the car and sorted it I'll be keeping it for as long as possible. The only thing I would want to do is lower it, if it's not been done already.

I've seen some right minging ones on ebay that are over £1,500, some with badly corroded sills as well! I'm going to start looking after the summer.

As I said before you should look at it as a hobby/passion stop trying to look at things at what you will get when you sell it. You won't get your money back at best if you take them off to sell you might get half.

Just enjoy them it's not like you spend loads on anything else :)

I know mate. I am well past that point now on it as it owes me way more than its worth. Especially once it gets its sills done. 

I purely want one for weekends and to have abit of fun in. I'll probably only use it in the summer and sorn it over winter. Once I've got the car and sorted it I'll be keeping it for as long as possible. The only thing I would want to do is lower it, if it's not been done already.

I've seen some right minging ones on ebay that are over £1,500, some with badly corroded sills as well! I'm going to start looking after the summer.

Most of them will be rusted now. Mk1/2 just at various levels (some sills, some chassis legs). You need to budget for that work on them unless its been done and even at that point, a receipted well done job. I have around £600 worth of rust/rot to sort out but as above, it will get done as its now 70% of the way to becoming a well sorted car. Enough has been spent on the bodywork, hood, brakes, suspension and servicing.

Make it yours and drive the wheels off it. Nothing on these cost big money if it breaks.

So... Trackday in March /April :)

Aye. Lets get it done...and booked.  I would be quite happy with Bedford again as last time was in the S2000. Be interesting to see how this compares.

Most of them will be rusted now. Mk1/2 just at various levels (some sills, some chassis legs). You need to budget for that work on them unless its been done and even at that point, a receipted well done job. I have around £600 worth of rust/rot to sort out but as above, it will get done as its now 70% of the way to becoming a well sorted car. Enough has been spent on the bodywork, hood, brakes, suspension and servicing.

That's true, any car I get will need some work but being a weekend toy I can take my time. A mate of Dad's does body repairs in Essex so I might get a quote from him to cut them out and weld new ones if they needed doing when I get it. He did some welding on the XR3i, which looked like a good job.

Ideally I only want to spend £1k, I don't mind about having to replace suspension parts or brakes etc as I can do that myself at my own pace. I'm going to budget £2k in total for one though, I'll pay more if it's in decent condition. Tax for 6 months I think is £126, hopefully insurance would be under £300 so it should be fairly cheap to run.

What about cam belts, how much are they and when do they need replacing?

• 1 month later...

After 6 weeks of tweaking and adjusting the coils I think it's now perfect. Adjusting the preload again, adjusting the castor and having the new drop links fitted have made a pretty big difference.

Today the motor had quite a lot of time spent on it and then out on the country roads to test the tweaked set up. Tried the dry wash spray for the first time and was quite impressed! After a wash and vac, fitted the new stubby Ariel kit and adjusted the damping settings and took it for a blast. Massive grin when I got home. The car now holds the road really well and doesn't crash at all even after lowering it again. Mud flaps will come off at some point I think or trim the back as they scrub in hard cornering.

Thank you to Joe for his patience with me on this and Tony for having a butchers. I appreciate the effort that's gone in to get it right for me.

Here's how she's sitting at the moment

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=71137CB7529F3B7C!5172&authkey=!AILx32pp2PoEkew&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

People don't realize how well balanced the OEM MX5 is, so improving perfection is no mean task but when it's right the 5 is one hell of a car..... With your car we leant along the way meaning don't trust the BCR factory set pre-load.

After 6 weeks of tweaking and adjusting the coils I think it's now perfect. Adjusting the preload again, adjusting the castor and having the new drop links fitted have made a pretty big difference.

Today the motor had quite a lot of time spent on it and then out on the country roads to test the tweaked set up. Tried the dry wash spray for the first time and was quite impressed! After a wash and vac, fitted the new stubby Ariel kit and adjusted the damping settings and took it for a blast. Massive grin when I got home. The car now holds the road really well and doesn't crash at all even after lowering it again. Mud flaps will come off at some point I think or trim the back as they scrub in hard cornering.

Thank you to Joe for his patience with me on this and Tony for having a butchers. I appreciate the effort that's gone in to get it right for me.

Here's how she's sitting at the moment

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=71137CB7529F3B7C!5172&authkey=!AILx32pp2PoEkew&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

Looks a nice height , you see so many over lowered

Thats a good height mine is very similar. I'm going to raise mine though - i am fed up with having to nurse the car over speed bumps to get in and out of my house and work. With the new ARBs i am hoping it wont compromise the handling too  much if i go up another 20mm or so.