Sunbeam Minx Project

dazza1964

I must admit that I had never heard of the Sunbeam Minx until I saw this thread. Was it just a U.S. marketing name, or was it significantly different from the Hillman Minx sold in the UK.

Rootes was eventually bought out by Chrysler I think, but it had a long history of acquisition of other manufacturers and for a significant time the company was the leader of the badge engineering approach in the UK. I had a Super Minx for a few years in the early 60s, but I could have bought virtually the same car with Humber or Singer badges. Sunbeam was always the "sporty" version and a Sunbeam Talbot won the Monty Carlo Rally in the mid 50s. I seem to remember the convertible Sunbeam Alpine selling well in the 'States. I always think of the sporting version of the Minx as being the Sunbeam Rapier in the UK.

Blimey you know your classics don't you..... Saying that i remember many of the names you highlighted.

They are not particularly classics to me Tony. They are just cars that I drove or considered driving or that my friends and acquaintances drove.