Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

Out of interest Rich, what made you go for the snowprox ?? Or have you used them before?

Mainly down to the price, they were £67 each delivered from Poland. I need a V rated tyre and all the premium tyres are £100+, with the budgets being a similar price to the Toyo. They get very good reviews though and I've used their summer tyres before, which were excellent so thought I'd try them for that price.

I had Toyos on the lexus and thought they were a good tyre!  got a link of where you get them from?

• 3 weeks later...

I've done 3 full fill ups now and 1200 miles since I've had the car. I am averaging 25 mpg with 28 on very long runs and 22 mostly around town. I'm impressed with that for a 1.5T car and an auto.

I am absolutely loving the cruise control, it makes motorway driving so much easier and I can stretch my legs as well! I used the sat nav for the first time yesterday and it was pretty good. It was on a route I know but it took me the right way with no funny detours! :lol:

The drop link that got an advisory on the MOT is knocking more now, I think it's that anyway so will replace it when the weather is better.

The only downside with an estate is the rear window gets very dirty quickly, I don't think I've ever used the rear washer/wiper so much on a car.

The only downside with an estate is the rear window gets very dirty quickly, I don't think I've ever used the rear washer/wiper so much on a car.

Is there an intermittent setting?

What's a 1.5T?

Is there an intermittent setting?

What's a 1.5T?

T for Tonne :)

Yes it has an intermittent setting but it's the dirt on it as well, the rear of the car after our trip yesterday is filthy!!

Yep , give the rear screen a few coats of optiseal

I will once the weather improves, can't believe how quickly it gets dirty.

Thought you meant 1.5 turbo Rich ;)

:lol: I was just being lazy! For a car weighing a third more than the corolla and a much larger engine I'm surprised there isn't much between them.

• 4 weeks later...

I have finally decided to use 5w30 oil for the Accord, main reason being is the Civic uses the same grade so I can just buy a drum. The only thing is the Accord has to be API SJ or SL and the Civic uses SJ but the oils Lube Tech sell are SL! I'm going with the Fuchs TITAN XTR, which I've used before and Opie are doing 20% off so it's £68 delivered for 20 litres.

When I ordered the parts from Honda the aux belt never turned up and I wasn't charged for it! I'm happy about that cos I bought a gates one for £12 delivered so saved me £35 compared to the Honda price! Once the weather is abit drier I will fit that.

I need to order some front drop links cos one is knocking badly now, it was an advisory on the MOT but I thought it would last abit longer. These are easy enough to change so will just get some cheaper ones for now.

The last week or so I've had an intermittent issue with the car. When I back off the throttle to slow down or come right off it to brake the revs drop right down to around 650rpm then bounce back up to 1100rpm. It's also idling at 650rpm but I'm fairly certain it use to be higher than that. I'm going to replace the spark plugs (they're due anyway) and check the valve clearance, plus clean the MAF, ICV and other bits to see if that helps.

The good news is that the car hasn't used any coolant since I bought it so I will change it later in the year now I know there are no leaks.

I'm thinking about selling the 17" wheels as well cos the ride is alot better on the 16s but then in the short time I drove with the 17s on it did seem to handle better. The trouble is 2 tyres need replacing really so I don't want to buy those then decide to sell them. It does look good with those 17s on though and they seem to be rare cos I can't find any for sale compared to the other styles Honda did.

As soon as any issues arise I like to sort them out, I can't leave them to get worse like some people do and the car stops working!!  :rolleyes:

Spark plugs are on their way, I just need to order the oil now.

A vacuum issue is likely to be a hose, what's the best way to check those?

To check for air leaks spray easy start around the likely area , if there is a leak the rpm will change

Thanks but the idle isn't hunting when the car's not moving, I've been monitoring it every day this week and it doesn't budge, although I'm not sure how long I should leave it ticking over to check. It only seems to be doing it when I'm driving.

I was going through the history last night and checking the manual, it says change spark plugs at 25k miles and has normal next to it, I didn't think anything of that. On the Honda checklist they use for the service it has on there that iridium (which are mine) plugs need changing at 75k miles so really they should be good for another 50k. They were last changed 5 years ago so I guess it won't do any harm to fit the new ones, I've bought them now anyway.

I had a similar problem on my old 106 Gti - chucked a shed load of carb cleaner down the throttle body - the amount of gunk that came out was impressive! Cant explain it other than perhaps the butterfly was not moving as well as it should do on release?

might be worth a shot?

All i did was remove the inlet pipework to expose the front of the butterfly and throw a shedload of carb cleaner in making sure it gets everywhere. Then leave it to work for 5/10 mins. Hopefully you will see some crap drip back out. Manually open the butterfly and move it whilst spraying some in as well. I did that 2/3 times until there wasnt much more crap coming out.

Worth a shot at least.

That's what I've done before, never seen the need to remove it and clean it inside and out!

The car has always been serviced by Honda, is this something that a dealer usually does? I suspect it's not been done before.