Sign in to follow this  
Rich

Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

I've had the noise for over 2 years. You and another garage both thought it was the front shocks as everything else had been checked. Even when those were replaced it still didn't cure it. It was only a year later the play started to show in the bush.

In hindsight I should've got them replaced when the noise started for what it cost to get them done. Genuine bushes were only £8!

There is a speed bump on the entrance of one road I use that has always caused a knock. So as I turn into the road and hit the bump it knocked everytime. Went over it today and it was silent. So it's definitely sorted now.

I've got a squeak from the brakes now but only occasionally and only when steering. In a straight line it's fine so could that still be the pads?

No but it could be play in a bearing.

Great, just what I need! It seems to be squealing at low speed when turning and braking. If it's the bearing wouldn't I hear a droning noise when driving as well?

Guess I had better jack the car up and check for play.

After the subframe was dropped to change the ARB bushes I noticed the steering wheel wasn't straight. Only very slightly but enough to annoy. Popped back over to see Tony earlier and the toe was out so it's all sorted now, cheers mate :D

I ended up chatting to an MX5 owner having his geo sorted afterwards for about an hour. It's easy to lose track of time when I'm there! Handy having Screwfix next door now, I picked some bits up that I needed too.

There's no play in the front wheels so I just need to leave it and see if the noise gets worse. Fingers crossed I don't have to spend any money on the car for a while.

It would need to be very advanced to need replacing, i wouldn't worry about it to much Rich.

Now we have the BMW I can't decide whether to keep the Accord for a while longer or not.

I think it'll sell for £600-£800 privately, maybe more with the money I've spent on it over the last 2 years which is 3 times what it's worth.

Hopefully nothing needs replacing soon (apart from front discs and pads) and the tyres are still fairly new and haven't done much mileage.

I can insure it for £215 now it'll be doing less milage and tax is £330 paying monthly by direct debit. I just can't bring myself to sell it with all the money I've spent.

I'll use it for tip runs and transporting anything large so it keeps the BMW clean. As that's a lease I don't want the interior scuffed. My main concern is the lack of use and brakes might seize or the battery keeps going flat, although I could fit a cut off switch like I have to the MX5. Plus 4 cars on the drive might become an issue when it comes to getting them out! :lol:

You have to look at it as face value and ignore what you've spent on it... Seems like if you keep it, it will be doing the donkey jobs and preserve the other cars.

Yes I know but it's annoying when I've not really had any use out of the new parts. It'll be the workhorse so will keep the other cars clean.

If anything major goes I think I'll strip as much as I can off the car and scrap it. I replaced most things with genuine Honda parts so I might get a little something back.

I took it for a drive earlier and I have to say they are still the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a car. The Lexus and BMW ones are ok but not as nice as these.

I think you have the right idea...

Think I'm killing my 2.5 year old genuine battery! I took the car out on Thursday as it's not moved for nearly 2 weeks and I had to jump start it. Before that I charged it on the ctek and in recondition mode so I think the lack of use and alarm/battery are draining it but I'd expect it to last more than 2 weeks.

I'm suspecting it's gone flat too many times now so I'm going to fit a cut off switch like I did to the MX5 and see how that goes.

The lack of use is also down to the fact it's a PITA getting the cars out of the driveway now we have 4 of them! There is a wall along the front of it with an entrance wide enough for one car. With 3 I managed to position them so they could all be moved out (carefully) but 4 is a nightmare!! :lol:

From what i recall if the battery goes completely flat then it needs a boost charge rather than a trickle charge

My ctek charger has a recondition mode which is like an extra boost. I think it's just gone flat too many times now and doesn't hold it's charge for as long.

Another way to do it is to change the electrolyte ( acid )