Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

A simple scratch down to the metal could have got the rust a foot hold.... A shaped repair arch would be fine but they have to chase the rust first so sometimes a small repair can grow to something more significant.

• 2 months later...

Decided to do the oil change today and while I was at it thought I'd remove the washer bottle and clean it cos it smells like cats p**s!!

Really wish I'd only flushed it now. Trying to remove the bolts one snapped so the bumpers coming off to drill it out! Then I realised there is another bolt holding it on that can't be accessed without removing the bumper anyway! Hopefully that doesn't snap!

I pulled the bottom hose off anyway to drain it first but then had this great idea to remove and clean it out properly. Luckily it's only a small bolt so I drilled it out but didn't have a bolt and nut long enough to replace it. I used cable ties instead, nice and secure again. What would the world be like without cable ties! :lol:

They certainly have their uses!

So I popped to WIM earlier and Tony and the lads looked over the car.

A front ARB bush is worn so they need replacing. They could be the cause of the knocking but the driveshafts also have vertical play in them so they might also be the culprit.

Rear bearing has also gone so that's getting done before the MOT on Thursday. It's just one thing after another with this car!!

I pulled the bottom hose off anyway to drain it first but then had this great idea to remove and clean it out properly. Luckily it's only a small bolt so I drilled it out but didn't have a bolt and nut long enough to replace it. I used cable ties instead, nice and secure again. What would the world be like without cable ties! :lol:

Gotta always have cable ties in the tool box!! :)

The bearing was done on Wednesday at WIM, it's definitely a lot quieter now! :) But the car overall is quite noisy. It might be the door seals are going or the tyres but I'll be able to check the latter when the winter wheels go on.

The MOT passed so that's out of the way and I can get the ARB bushes replaced and then go from there.

So I'm on the way to work this morning and someone taps on my window and says I've got a flat tyre!!  :censored: It wasn't completely flat and I was a mile from home so limped it back and went to work in the MX5.

I think it's a coincidence but it's the same wheel that just had the new bearing put on. I have no idea when it started to go down though or what's caused it but it looks like a slow leak. The winter tyres are going on this week so I'll check it over but I suspect it's a nail or screw. It's also one of the tyres I had fitted earlier this year (so still fairly new) and then replaced cos that one had a screw in it driving back from getting it fitted!

Really not having any luck with this car  :banghead:

I've done about 150 miles since the bearing was replaced and it hasn't felt like I've had a flat tyre so I think it's a coincidence. When I've got the bushes and bring the car over to get those done I'll bring the wheel as well, hopefully it can be repaired. 

Hasn't that infection cleared up yet - have you seen the doctor about it?

There will be no rush to look at it and I don't have the bushes yet so it won't be this weekend anyway. My normal Honda parts supplier hasn't got back to me so I'll probably be buying them from a dealer on ebay. I was just hoping to order new bolts as well.

Hope it clears soon mate, you definitely don't want to be in that garage in this weather.

I got the wheel off earlier, I didn't want to leave it on the car flat in case it gets damaged. The location looks repairable this time thankfully. God knows where I picked it up from.

Also ordered the bushes but the bolts are on back order and won't be here until March 2018 so I didn't bother ordering those!

IMG_20171114_202522-1170x2080.jpg

The photo is deceptive, you only fitted these in April and I've done around 1k miles on them, there is plenty of tread left.

Driving the car on the winter wheels has caused the knocking to quieten down, I assume the bigger tyres are absorbing the noise. I did notice a little vibrating at the front between 50-70mph which i didn't have on the 17" summer wheels. I hope it's not the driveshafts and is just a balancing issue.

• 3 months later...

Tyre is now repaired and more importantly it looks like the new ARB bushes have stopped that annoying knocking.

I went the bumpy way home where it has always done it and it was silent. Everytime I reverse into the driveway it used to clonk, it didn't do that when I got home. So after 2+ years it's finally gone and fingers crossed the driveshafts are ok and weren't the problem.

The steering also feels a little tighter, is that possible or just me?