Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

• 3 months later...

The car has just broken down, I was on the M25 but got off and waiting for recovery. Airbag light started flickering followed by the warning lights coming on. Turned the car off and now it won't start. I knew I should've got rid of it, now I've got to spend more money on it!!

I got home about an hour and half later so wasn't too bad. Our Lexus breakdown cover also covers other cars so I phoned them and the AA came out. The guy phoned me before arriving to ask what happened and he said it sounded like the alternator. I wasn't sure as the battery light never flickered or came on.

He connected his battery pack and the car started. Tested the alternator and it wasn't charging it. Once he took his battery off the voltage started dropping on mine. The battery is only 9 months old and is fine.

He fitted a spare to get me home and then swapped them back over. Even he couldn't explain why the battery light didn't come on but he said it's definitely the alternator.

He did quote me £266 to supply and fit a generic one there but I declined. The Honda one is a Denso, this https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection?block_01=17SED01&block_02=E__0610&block_03=443&block_05=hcr

But CP4L are doing it for £217 with the discounts so I'm going to get that http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Honda_Accord_2.4_2003/p/car-parts/electrical/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/alternator/?401600430&1&8b8801ca73145b2277a7c3bd8ac359834a64668e&000012

Or I can get a used part on eBay for £50 but there's no guarantee and it might not last long. I spent out on a genuine starter motor and battery in December so might as well change this for new.

The thing is I still have the gear change issue and the car is getting on a bit and has age related problems but I can't afford to get anything newer now. Where do you draw the line though.

Privately I think I might get £1500-£2000 for it. I spent £1500 on it 9 months a go! I was hoping that would make the car last a few more years.

Obviously there is still this knocking we can't find and the gear change issue, plus there is rust on a rear arch lip.

If I got a used alternator for £50 and did sell it for £2000, I could probably get something for around £5000 but that could have issues too.

Isn't there a local place that could overhaul your original one and give it a guarantee?

I have a local place that on my old astra diesel with the built in vacuum pump, they replaced the bearings and regulator and checked the diodes and load tested it on their machine for £60 with sane day repair, guaranteed for a year.

I have no idea Nick, I know a place in Essex but don't have time for that! From what I have read this car is fussy with non genuine and remanufactured alternators. I've been pointed to a Denso one for £142 which is the one Honda uses. I'll go for that as I had issues on the Mondeo with remanufactured alternators which led to me breaking it for spares!

Voltage issues could well effect the gearbox , things are so interlinked noawadays

That's a good point and not one I thought of. The gearbox has 2 solenoids and a sensor so if the alternator has been down on voltage for a while I guess that could be playing a part in it. I have ordered the Denso alternator and will fit it at the end of the week and see what happens!

I had a FTO auto once, and the gearbox was stuck in 3rd gear, got on to someone who knows about FTOs and 1st question he asked was, has the battery gone flat ? well yes it needed a new one as car had been stirring in a garage for sometime, he said put new battery on, drive the car 125k and it will reset it's self, i thought yer right, but i tried and it worked, happy days as i had bought it with gearbox problem so got it cheap :D  

That was a result! :lol:

The car had a new battery and starter motor last December, maybe those have killed the alternator. The gear change issue started about 2-3 months after so February time.

If the new alternator sorts the problem then I will be very chuffed!

Arrived this afternoon after missing the delivery yesterday. Fitted it this evening and it's like a new car!!! :D :o

And it seems to have sorted the gear change issue too. There is still a little lag as is normal with autos but it's back to being silky smooth on a 20 minute drive.

Same alternator Honda use as well but for £300 cheaper at £142. Are there any places who will buy my old one?

IMG_20170818_191133-1664x936.jpg

The old alternator probably got killed due to working with the old battery, the flat battery would have made life harder on the starter as well 

Batteries should be treated as disposable items on modern cars , sling them at the first sign of trouble imo

I used the car on Saturday and did about 20 miles, it drove perfectly, I still can't believe the difference it has made. The engine sounds quieter, the steering feels lighter and the gear changes are smoother.

Result there Rich, now but a lottery ticket for tonight ;)

Stick the old one on ebay listed as faulty and see if some idiot will buy it :D

Yes I will. Someone bought a new tyre with a nail in it on the sidewall so this should sell easily. As they're usually used to make manufactured ones I thought it might be easier selling to them rather than ebay etc.

The old alternator probably got killed due to working with the old battery, the flat battery would have made life harder on the starter as well 

Batteries should be treated as disposable items on modern cars , sling them at the first sign of trouble imo

The battery is only 8 months old though, same for the starter motor. That battery replaced the one I bought when I got the car and wasn't even 3 years old but I replaced it cos I didn't trust it any more. I think age played a part too, it had done 120k miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Got back from Norfolk last night and did about 500 miles in the last week. The car is definitely much better to drive now although I sometimes feel there is still too much lag when it changes gear but that could be an age issue. I can't remember what it was like when I first bought it so it could even be normal.

I just need to find this knocking noise now and check the car over before the MOT in October.

The rust on one of the arch lips is spreading so I also need to sort that out but I think it might be too far gone for me to do with filler. It's gone through both skins and the lip has become wavy so lost it's shape, it might have to be cut out and a new one welded in.

Nice to read she behaved while you was away shame about the rust though. A word of warning if you decide to deal with the arch have a moulded section welded in and not a shaped over/ plate put in because they do not last.

The rust was starting when I bought the car but I have just left it! Should've known better than that really  :rolleyes: What's strange is it's only this one side, the other is perfect. 

I'm going to get a quote to have a new lip welded in, I definitely won't be getting it covered up.