Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

I've had the noise for over 2 years. You and another garage both thought it was the front shocks as everything else had been checked. Even when those were replaced it still didn't cure it. It was only a year later the play started to show in the bush.

In hindsight I should've got them replaced when the noise started for what it cost to get them done. Genuine bushes were only £8!

There is a speed bump on the entrance of one road I use that has always caused a knock. So as I turn into the road and hit the bump it knocked everytime. Went over it today and it was silent. So it's definitely sorted now.

I've got a squeak from the brakes now but only occasionally and only when steering. In a straight line it's fine so could that still be the pads?

Great, just what I need! It seems to be squealing at low speed when turning and braking. If it's the bearing wouldn't I hear a droning noise when driving as well?

Guess I had better jack the car up and check for play.

After the subframe was dropped to change the ARB bushes I noticed the steering wheel wasn't straight. Only very slightly but enough to annoy. Popped back over to see Tony earlier and the toe was out so it's all sorted now, cheers mate :D

I ended up chatting to an MX5 owner having his geo sorted afterwards for about an hour. It's easy to lose track of time when I'm there! Handy having Screwfix next door now, I picked some bits up that I needed too.

There's no play in the front wheels so I just need to leave it and see if the noise gets worse. Fingers crossed I don't have to spend any money on the car for a while.

• 2 months later...

Now we have the BMW I can't decide whether to keep the Accord for a while longer or not.

I think it'll sell for £600-£800 privately, maybe more with the money I've spent on it over the last 2 years which is 3 times what it's worth.

Hopefully nothing needs replacing soon (apart from front discs and pads) and the tyres are still fairly new and haven't done much mileage.

I can insure it for £215 now it'll be doing less milage and tax is £330 paying monthly by direct debit. I just can't bring myself to sell it with all the money I've spent.

I'll use it for tip runs and transporting anything large so it keeps the BMW clean. As that's a lease I don't want the interior scuffed. My main concern is the lack of use and brakes might seize or the battery keeps going flat, although I could fit a cut off switch like I have to the MX5. Plus 4 cars on the drive might become an issue when it comes to getting them out! :lol:

Yes I know but it's annoying when I've not really had any use out of the new parts. It'll be the workhorse so will keep the other cars clean.

If anything major goes I think I'll strip as much as I can off the car and scrap it. I replaced most things with genuine Honda parts so I might get a little something back.

I took it for a drive earlier and I have to say they are still the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a car. The Lexus and BMW ones are ok but not as nice as these.

• 2 months later...

Think I'm killing my 2.5 year old genuine battery! I took the car out on Thursday as it's not moved for nearly 2 weeks and I had to jump start it. Before that I charged it on the ctek and in recondition mode so I think the lack of use and alarm/battery are draining it but I'd expect it to last more than 2 weeks.

I'm suspecting it's gone flat too many times now so I'm going to fit a cut off switch like I did to the MX5 and see how that goes.

The lack of use is also down to the fact it's a PITA getting the cars out of the driveway now we have 4 of them! There is a wall along the front of it with an entrance wide enough for one car. With 3 I managed to position them so they could all be moved out (carefully) but 4 is a nightmare!! :lol:

• 9 months later...

I need to have a serious think about what I'm going to do with this car! 

I've barely used it this past year and it's costing me £550 a year to tax and insure it. If I was to sell it I think I would get no more than £800 for it. I'm very reluctant to do that cos of the amount of money I have spent on it, plus the size makes it very handy for moving things around.

I thought about parking it up over the summer months and using it during winter only but if I do that I know the brake calipers will seize as they're prone to doing that on these cars.

There also a fair bit on rust on one of the rear arches now (other side is fine) and I really need to do something about it before it spreads further up the panel. On the Mondeo I used Bilt Hamber products to remove as much rust as I could while keeping as much metal at the same time. I think this has gone to far for that and I just need to cut/grind as much of it off. I know I won't stop this but I need to reduce it at least. My main concern is once I've remove all the rust how do I form the shape of the arch lip with filler?

IMG_20190404_120303-2080x1170.thumb.jpg.453be52273eb7ca5ba8aefec43b308b7.jpg

IMG_20190404_120320-2080x1170.thumb.jpg.831f3b024a284c2f2be80be8c4583240.jpg

IMG_20190404_120343-2080x1170.thumb.jpg.3cd3c62ce852d07cfa91a30f65e7d416.jpg

On 10/05/2019 at 13:45, Tony said:

I think you will need to buy a patch for that and have it welded on.... I'm sure you can buy just the arch rather than the whole wing.

You can't buy replacement panels for the tourer and welding plus paint etc costs money. The car isn't worth much so I'm doing this as cheap as possible. I know I won't get rid of it but if I can slow it down that'll help.

The first thing I need to do is remove the arch liner and see just how bad it is underneath. It's double skinned so I'm hoping I can save enough metal on the inner one to use some mesh and fill it.

• 5 months later...

Well I didn't do anything with the rust apart from cover it with black gaffer tape. It looks much better! :lol:

Passed the MOT last week although I nearly didn't make it. The battery was flat! I've been using the car for work the last 3 weeks. 10 miles a day and then not used the weekends. It had been fine until we went away, the car had been sitting for 4 days and then wouldn't start. I managed to jump start it, did a 60 mile drive and it's been fine since.

Reading back through the last few posts I haven't noticed the squealing I was getting when steering/braking that I got last year. Hopefully it stays that way.

I'm using it every day now for work. I haven't spent anything on it since March last year apart from insurance and when it's been taxed. In the summer when the MX5 is on the road I'll SORN it for 4 months which will save £120.

I've used it more than you have the 360 and how much have you spent on that! ;)

Trouble is it won't sell for much now, it's not really worth anything in parts so I might as well just use it. Ideally I'd sell the Lexus but SWMBO doesn't want to!

The Honda owes me about £2.5k+ in new parts and repairs since I've had it (6 years now) and the front brakes need doing soon. The Lexus we've had for 3 years and all it's needed are new wiper blades and a bulb. The front brakes were done this year but they last 80k+ miles! Also it has zero tax and does double the mpg of the Accord so it's a lot more economical.

The Lexus is ok but I can't sit in the rear as there's no leg room and it's pretty slow. So although the Accord is more expensive to run I'd choose it over the Lexus.

• 1 month later...

I haven't used the car for just over 2 weeks while I've been off work. So I took it out today to pick up a new tumble dryer. It was a 50 mile round trip.

On the way back on the A41 as I was doing around 65-70mph there was a single very loud bang/clap/pop. It scared the hell out of me! Sounded like it came from behind and from inside the car it was that loud. The windows were closed.

I carried on for a while until I could pull over and checked the tyres, brakes and arch gap in case the suspension had snapped. Everything seemed fine so I carried on home. Took the old dryer to the tip and the car was still running ok.

I have looked at the brakes, springs and exhaust again and can't find anything wrong. I checked the aux belt but if that had snapped I would've got warning lights.

I didn't see anything in front of me that I could've run over. I went to check the dashcam and found it's not been recording for the last 2 years which is helpful!

The dryer wasn't that heavy at around 37kg and was in the boot, so probably similar in weight to when we take luggage away. There was also 3 of us in the car.

I have been having issues with the gearbox changing from 1st to 2nd and it sometimes bangs/jerks in to gear for some reason but I've ruled this out as I was in 5th on a dual carriageway. I have also noticed in the mornings that a lot of condensation is coming out of the exhausts while the car is warming up. Much more than what it used to produce in the winter. So I was also thinking maybe it could've been a backfire? I've never experienced one before, can it be just a single pop and can it happen when driving at speed?