Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

Thanks Gord :D

I left the battery on a trickle charge overnight and put it back in this morning, it was only 1 nut to remove the bracket anyway. Started first time but I don't trust it at all, hopefully someone will be in to get the new one today, if not I'll have to pick it up tomorrow.

New battery fitted and it starts like a dream now, the old one looked in poor condition.

When I ordered it I typed in 158 for the battery type and it listed the 049 on the website as being the correct one. The battery has 158 on the label though, no wonder it's confusing trying to buy the right one!

Also I noticed on the aux belt there is abit of thread on the edge of it. The belt looks to be in good condition and I will have to read the manual to find out when it should be changed but is this going to cause any weakness in it?

IMG_20131128_082058.jpg

IMG_20131126_181606.jpg

IMG_20131128_102313.jpg

aux belt is a piece of wee wee to change :-).

I did mine in under 1h30min... just jack up the front using the central jacking point. axle stands under sill jack points.

remove driver side wheel, use a spanner or socket tool (I can post you my tool if you need) to loosen off tension.

slide old one off.

slide new one in, fit it around the bottom wheels and work your way up. :-). job done :D

Had the car WIM'd and it was in pretty good shape. I thought there was a slight pull to the right and this has now gone :)

Accord Geo.jpg

Had a good look under the car while I was there and it's abit rusty so looks like it's been near the coast. Only seems to be cosmetic though.

Accord_Underneath_01.jpg

Accord_Underneath_02.jpg

Accord_Underneath_03.jpg

Accord_Underneath_04.jpg

source a honda belt from HH. its about £35 ;)

not sure if it applies to just diesels... take a pic of your aux belt and I can tell you if you need it or not :)

Yep I'm going to, was suppose to have a call back from Gareth with prices but never got it. Will try tomorrow and I'll get a photo.

Sounds easy enough Adam, would you recommend a Honda belt?

I read your guide on TA, does that and the shorter belt only apply to the diesel?

for things like belts, i would only use OEM!

Yeah I think you're right mate, it's £20-£25 difference so not worth the risk of using something cheaper.

Yeah that's what I meant, Pete said the same. I didn't take much notice of the steering wheel position when it 'pulled' :rolleyes: What part of the report did you get that from?

Tony had a quick look around it, he thinks I've won the lotto! :lol: Forgot to show him the belt, they were quite busy when I was there, but I'm replacing it for peace of mind :)

I will sort the rust next year in the spring, getting too cold to be lying on the ground! Adam do you know where to rear jacking point is on the tourer, the handbook just mentions using the scissor jack? Do those sills take the weight of the car on axle stands and not buckle? I normally use the subframe to put the stands on.

I have ordered a new belt, cost £47 but at least it will be done. No revisions made to the petrol one, it was just the diesel cos one of the pulleys wasn't really used. I will change that when I do the oil as the OSF wheel needs to come off to get to the filter.

Friday night and Saturday morning I did 335 miles in the car, mainly motorway. I have noticed a vibration though, it happened twice and for a couple of seconds each time. Friday night I had the cruise control on going through the road works and as I got to the end the vibration started, I turned the cruise control off and it went. Saturday I did 200 miles (mainly M1) and on the way home just before I got off the M25 it vibrated again and then went, I had just turned the cruise control off as well.

I need to do some testing to see if it's doing it at certain speeds/rpms but on some stretches I've stuck to 50, 60 and 70 mph with no problems apart from these 2 occasions. Now the inner cv joints are known to go on these cars and I checked for this on the test drive and there were no vibrations at all. So I'm wondering if it's the start of these going, maybe an engine mount or it's related to the cruise control? If it was the cv joints I would have though it would do it all the time from a certain speed not just 3 seconds.

OSF toe at -16' said the steering was LHD..... I'm pleased Tony thinks it's a good buy since i trust his educated opinion in these matters...... You should be a cat Rich cos it sounds like you have fell on your feet :)

I still don't understand how you know it was just the steering wheel that was off. I didn't actually notice the steering position, it must've been out only a small amount, or I was just too engrossed in everything else being a new car! So the wheel was LHD, so when you naturally straighten it out the car feels like it's pulling to the right. Isn't it possible for the wheel to be straight and the OSF toe still that angle, which would cause a pull rather than a steer? Would the angles read differently in that situation?

I love the car and it seems the missus does as well after following me on Friday to take the Ibiza back, she said I've lost it now when we got there! :lol: