S2000 KW Clubsport setup and Alignment

markff

Nice update, thanks for sharing..... I'm not comfortable with those tyres in low temperatures but if you are going to use them in the cold then yes get them scrubbed in on the current settings....... Advancing the geometry with the new parts and new tyres is a big transition. 

Cheers Tony,

They aren't going to get used much over the spring and the only time i really drive fast or push the car now is in the summer when things are dry. On the track assuming its dry then getting them up to temperature shouldn't be a problem. I will get them fitted in 3 weeks or so time and rack some miles up on them and then bring it in to be aligned. I will probably go with similar as last time alignment wise but abit more rear toe.

It will be abit of an unknown handling wise as the last trackday was a washout with the wet track so i couldn't learn anything about the the KW suspension. I will be happy if i get a middle of the road set up with a tiny bit less oversteer.

Additional rear toe will bring the tyre temp up quicker but on track you still need to use a heat cycle for timed laps. Dialling out some oversteer should be easy but i need to know when the transition occurs, is it on the apex or applying thrust corner-out.

• 4 years later...

Wow abit of a thread revival here. I still own this car and its now supercharged with about 400bhp. A hefty mortgage put paid to the trackdays but access to a decent sized garage means the car gets looked after.

I decided for my sins to rebush the suspension knowing that at least one caster adjuster was seized. Cutting a long story short most of the camber adjusters were seized as well as both caster adjusters. I cut them all out and replaced with new and greased them with marine grease. Everything is assembled and ready for the wheel alignment to be set up. So far i have taken the car for a test drive and not had any issues and everythings been checked and double checked.

I'm booked in next Wednesday and hoping all my hardwork was worth it. 

It seems to be getting harder and harder to find places nearby that actually know what they are doing in terms of set up. Even if i give them the settings i want they dont really inspire much confidence that they will do the basics right. Glad that wheels in motion is still around!

Well done with the adjusters. We've done a few of them and decided to stop the offer because it wasn't cost effective for the customer. Simply put there's no fast way to do them even with all the tools.

What sort of setup are you going for?

To be honest tony i expected it to be a pain but it was an absolute slog cutting, burning, pressing. Luckily i done it over the course of about a month doing a few hours here and there which meant i could walk away from it when it became a pain! The joys of having a garage i guess.

Pretty much every bolt or adjuster was like this, even an air hammer couldnt shift it.

8NfFnUL2Yl-NYloXxwYqqHYJi-KYsK3HS7kiezVNbMGDIQgqIqcEDM9rkVBxzfMAUx-N5iUy6sDHKnPl4DKrl08_erUQRzdPbfRgoOE_78LM2Q50Wrpc57J50fghrnA1TZQeMOld_x_4Fp9qui3l2PWYNxl9kFRe0KH8aFM6G_ak0ttJhgIyvlDRUyRlW1VEXwxQlNytwipuo9j43DAZbxDnSzn_Ujq0Xw9QIaiOwuSI8fdfhBSXo0bSW6VwoSuLZcY_v1btmDnEdtO8sdmwOIcMmAKWM_VznkDmReu3NEzXRMlVaP7swwPlwPnL1fVKht80kss14v3nSOSZZAqY0ZN4OEDNbV39rhqtcLKB7o2yif9q34RVdV7OS5LRVtnPl71Yne7xoEUFJJGjTQr_B4pe8LwnfW-HCRtkXnWjixYBcd2WVmGWUrGP8WvVV-IzIHcg7-eDvWp4G0jp4O9lUxLIZ8X_EudQn3MsUmtOuVKiY4C5rPN4WaFNOIWdvCdOO04lK8zaPb6suXujwHjrdaTpjuMV94MREu0J8YE4oLAQS8N8FuaoX_IjePD3ifUOiMHgN6b4-yJ1BZfMyxw2DwgJZQYv0RkTdiTIuokFIuA60MhycofjtSSMpqYx4HPQNySo8iHFNcXf0lO5Cn3VJ5z9=w704-h938-no

Its not one of those jobs i would ever want to do again. I made sure everything was lubricated so hopefully it wont need to be done for a good few years. This is the setup i have ran for the last few years with pretty decent tyre wear and no real issues. I will probably opt for something like this. At the moment i have pushed both caster adjusters to their max and i quite like it with alot of caster. I wont be doing any more trackdays in the car as its too big a risk if i bin it. Too much money tied into it.

No automatic alt text available.

Now you know why we opted not to take this type of job on.... Even burning the bushings out to speed things up, £70+ vat ph would be a mighty sum for the owner.

Currently with the S2000 i optimize the settings from the worst seized position and basically make good but it's not perfect.

Ideal front camber would be -1. 30' but this can only be hit if the castor is adjusting because as you gain camber you lose castor, so again you have to optimize.

Hi Tony,

Just got back from a trouble free visit to your place. I opted for the fast road set up in the end and im well impressed. The rear of the car seems so much more stable than it did when i have had it done by other places.  Maybe its the because im running alot less camber than previously on the rear?

I just need to invest in some new fronts as my federal 595 rsr's are feeling their age.

As you can see the alignment was abit of a mess and driving it to your place it was quite a handful when going over any bumps. The trip down gave a good chance for the polybushes to settle down

pjudqLGdDdTprcKixQ1DuouCveMlh6O0M694A8RJMH6xf9mQWho4vabkljmV9iep9_MUi5jChV_EL9HETgVzEgPYcZDPy9YNRc0h5y2D9ruHS9SbXroMp0b975OOxKqR72phYazZXEhs2eMuFlRJlY130OvSsHcU0z9ULJFBo85p0z_zOJb4xZ7wLOUxnIoTRZ-KEbB9x47VvzhqkI4liing_QWK04CrQuaVnIUNXTvL8KWSJ7_9s6j7yzk_I1JODCkTzrlV5yltsTs0hwyQWcUjz1dQYC_3dTpYtreCwGnjfO7gfXxnWO6EQEod5GSb1fcOhtTm4La_rGwsrTePQ20fzFv6q1DXoJLqUJ1Wc-zYknfc69A3aCyACTceNoF8RBhRa66xPBMkjeQ-QK_SDQoFnbLPZOg_HM11sFkiz-3IOfQE16H51YuK-Vs3s7WjhHiGX3DHRvbRw_SG1k6PV9qceB5kezzXg5P1-4g7E236iCVXNA-LX2MAurjKqoFkkppyrmEB6o_VGc_msfT0rWxSXmsv9ObD9UkwISLbi4OmvATcxctiUEU28QDCyt7YOooRrRU856rSknkcsjpHYB3IgWctRTKegrN7EALlJAM3l3QY9euadheog-tTpu6ph7dXwk0C7nj7k46JXEXWwV9H=w704-h938-no

Sorry i missed you today but i knew you're in good hands..... Gareth set your chassis and he's really finicky when it comes to hitting numbers. In fact i think he has the same disorder as me???

Initial positions were understandably crap because you've been working on the chassis. He's set the chassis to a fast-road, non-competitive track setup, which is riding the line on "command" oversteer.

Domestically we set the S2000 to understeer because historically they suffer from "snap" oversteer. This is not a command condition! If the chassis is lowered, fit some performance bushings, up the HP then the fun begins. In truth you've corrected what Honda failed in the build?

My initial horror, shock, horror on the report "was" the much ignored, much misunderstood SAI position on the OSF? The SAI ( Steering Axis Inclination ) is the inclination/ declination of the lower ball joints pin... In the old days it was called the Kingpin. The inclination holds the cars weight if the steering deviates from a relaxed position.

To explain: Each pin is linked via the steering rack. In a relaxed position each lower ball joint's pin will have the same inclination/ declination depending on your view? As the steering is turned ( let's say left ) the inner pin will incline and the outer will decline. In doing so the inner pin will become longer meaning it now holds more of the cars weight... Well it doesn't like that so wanting to shed weight it pushes back via the steering rack, returning the steering position and becoming at rest with it's opposite partner.

Your initial SAI reading at 10d 23 and 9d 25 meant the OSF SAI was way more inclined. Gareth would have noticed this because it's an extreme position and technically not directly adjustable?..... But it is indirectly adjustable, which for you is fortunate :D

On the S2000 the camber is adjustable via the lower wishbone, so by lowering the camber on the OSF it also lowered the SAI, hence the final positions. Gareth would have watched both positions because both are major players when it comes to handling.

To add vision understanding SAI..... Zero SAI/ KPI means the pin is vertical. As the pin declines it's numerical value inclines. So in the case of SAI less is more.

To add vision P2: Notice on the printout there's no target data for the SAI?... nothing no target or tolerance? Reason for this is the SAI is a diagnostic angle. It's position should be symmetrical give or take a little. The information it offers opens complex opportunities and possibilities so before any operator can read the message he needs to understand the language first. Most don't. 

Thanks for the great explanation.

I'm just relieved that everything lined up correctly after pulling so much apart. I was going to take it to a local place and assist them in doing the alignment but i very much doubt they would of known the amount of detail as you guys. Plus you never know whether the vast majority of garages actually bother to get their equipment checked and calibrated.

It was well worth making the trip round the m25 :thumbsup_anim:

• 3 months later...

Fitted some bilsteins b14 suspension and replaced the track rod ends recently as i wanted a smoother ride compared to the KW coilovers. Car had developed abit of a tendency to wander on uneven roads and i was still on the original track rod ends. They weren't knocking but they were very floppy inside the joints.

Anyway i booked the car into today along with my brothers R53 mini. Have to say Joe did a top job, the car is spot on and the wheel is dead centre. 

My brother has always struggled to find a decent place to get his car set up and he says the work that Joe has done has made the car much better. His car is a Cooper S but converted from supercharger to turbo charger and is putting about 400bhp to the front wheels. Getting the front wheels all pointing in the right direction has made putting the power down alot easier. He says the torque steer is alot better now. I know you guys are quite expensive but you definitely get what you pay for. There are too many places that just take the money and don't even bother to get the basics right. 

Make sure you give Joe a pat on the back Tony, job well done