My E60 530i

SHAHZ

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blimey she scrubs up well....Makes me want to clean our BMW, problem is Elaine s cat has taken to sitting on the bonnet :thumbsdown_anim:

Do it, didnt take more than 20 minutes!  next time it should be even easier (next time :lol: this is me  :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle: )

• 1 month later...

Well the car is now out of warranty and so this service was done by my usual Indy garage!

This lot turned up a few days ago

D35129BA-3C3B-4647-ABF8-415BB9F3A146.jpg

Oil drained and refilled

A31C4175-3F32-4B3D-920B-155022383038.jpg

Plugs being changed

F4352C19-864A-4274-BDEF-5F795A099C76.jpg

They were quite a state! Look like they have never been changed, so much for a full BMW service history!!

C2EEA450-06CB-4C91-8B54-B7D69C40906D.jpg

Car feels so much smoother now :)

Wow plugs look bad! Although given them putting the wrong plugs in my brother's BMW perhaps this was a better option!

Given that it's got full bm service history till this point @ 100k and the plugs have not been changed is also worrying!

As the plugs were not changed at the last service thought I better check the service book to see when they where done last as they are meant to be done every 3rd service!

I missed the last update, was away then. You did a good job on the engine bay :)

Plugs look bad, have they made any difference?

Cheers Rich, going to give it another clean soon and try and keep on top of it, makes it easier to keep clean then!

Running so much better with the new plugs!

So at least two of the plus are running black - either too rich or oil - did they investigate?

At the moment I'm putting it down to the dirty air filter and the fact that they have never been changed! Will be due for another service in October so will check them again then

I based it on what they look like as well as the service book shows no change of sparks!  However will be guided by you guys; ive only ever run ot on Vpower since ive had it so tick in that box - always been a bit sceptical about running any fuel additives, dont know why just have a feeling that it will make it run poorly - any recommendations on which to use?  

I based it on what they look like as well as the service book shows no change of sparks!  However will be guided by you guys; ive only ever run ot on Vpower since ive had it so tick in that box - always been a bit sceptical about running any fuel additives, dont know why just have a feeling that it will make it run poorly - any recommendations on which to use?  

They can remove the build up in injectors only really useful on higher mileage stuff , looking at those plugs as mentioned two are a little sooty , perhaps they werent sparking properly or perhaps the injectors arent atomising very well , you've solved the former and some injector cleaner will help the latter (As will a Terraclean treatment)

I've always had good results with this brand

http://www.stp.com/products/fuel-additives/super-concentrated-fuel-injector-cleaner/

Halfords used to stock it

In fact they still do , i'd be tempted to run two or three tankfuls with some in , for the cost its got to be worth a try

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/stp-petrol-injector-cleaner-200ml

Whatever you use make sure it cleans the injectors as well..... Oh and from your records has the fuel filter ever been changed?

Not as far as im aware, when i spoke to BMW the other day to order the parts i asked for the fuel filter and the guy said the filter is in the fuel tank and these dont normally get changed?!

They can remove the build up in injectors only really useful on higher mileage stuff , looking at those plugs as mentioned two are a little sooty , perhaps they werent sparking properly or perhaps the injectors arent atomising very well , you've solved the former and some injector cleaner will help the latter (As will a Terraclean treatment)

I've always had good results with this brand

http://www.stp.com/products/fuel-additives/super-concentrated-fuel-injector-cleaner/

Halfords used to stock it

In fact they still do , i'd be tempted to run two or three tankfuls with some in , for the cost its got to be worth a try

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/stp-petrol-injector-cleaner-200ml

So are you saying to use both the STP and terraclean?  as you say at the cost might aswell run a few tanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Car went straight on to the ramp when i arrived @ WIM HQ

3E1F92F8-0751-4265-8ED8-D4F35904D881.jpg

Mv2s went straight into the rental to bring home!
B60C76AE-A28C-4169-93C4-8E9D77D122DE.jpg

Upon collection, this is how she looked!

16A9F3EF-E268-49D2-B1C9-BB821236B2D5.jpg

C393DD08-ABA0-4549-A43F-7D9B91F3E697.jpg
C3E6672A-4C42-472A-A874-801437396962_1.j

However it was rubbing on the rears so had to go back up a bit and is sitting like this at the moment

2D9D63ED-BBF1-4A8D-BB3D-5FB1A9E253CA.jpg
2FB1AFAD-A85F-4290-8799-99572CB25B31.jpg

I now need to try and get some details on the pre load as Joe wasnt sure as to what this should be, having had a quick look around on the web it seems that 4mm seems to be a standard set up, however will contact BC to see if they can shed any light!

Very pleased with the look, however does feel a little bouncy! will be trying to get Phil from Arch enemy down to wim when i have my fine tune and can hopefully bring it back down again.... fronts certainly need more drop, but i thought would leave it where it is while its bedding in!

Wow, that looks amazing! Love the curve on the rears  B)

Can't wait to see this in the flesh (hopefully when it's still clean  :whistle:  :P ). Interesting that it feels so bouncy, is the new set up a lot firmer? (I'm assuming you're feeling the bounce in the road rather than the suspension actually being bouncier?)

Wow, that looks amazing! Love the curve on the rears  B)

Can't wait to see this in the flesh (hopefully when it's still clean  :whistle:  :P ). Interesting that it feels so bouncy, is the new set up a lot firmer? (I'm assuming you're feeling the bounce in the road rather than the suspension actually being bouncier?)

Cheers lads :)  The concave is why i love these wheels and wanted the 9.5j on the front, as you can see you dont get the deep concave with the 8.5j : :(  might get some spacers on the front to bring them out a touch!

The more im driving the more im getting the feeling that this is what it is (bounce on road), ive never really understood the preload stuff, but essentially this could be part of the reason, but am now also thinking that its because the damper is set towards hard, might need to soften them a bit!

I actually prefer it when the rear wheels clearly look wider than the fronts, makes it look more aggressive on a RWD car - might just be me being weird though  :D

Given that it used to be on runflats and BMW sports suspension it must be really firm now! As the wheels are so much bigger you probably want more compliant suspension, interested to see if softening the dampers sorts it.

Hopefully we can try and sort the mini meet when you go in for the fine tune!

Yeah so do I actually, it's just I wanted the deep concave all round and the curves look so much better!

I hope so, it's actually making me feel a little giddy! Will turn the dampers a couple of notches tonight and see how that goes tomorrow!

Yeap, will let everyone know on the other thread when I'm going back!

Lol at feeling giddy :)

I definitely know what you mean by the bouncy feeling, when I stick the 360 in sport mode (which stiffens the dampers) on a poor road I get the exact same bouncy feeling, switch it off and it goes away. It sounds like the same issue for you so hopefully that should sort it.

The car looks good mate, really aggressive :D

Is the bouncing when going over bumps and dips in the road, rather than smoothly going over them? Is the ride very firm? This sounds like what happened with S2IMs MX5 when the BCRs were fitted and that was down to the preload needing adjusting.