Full geo & corner weight after a new subframe / coilovers / top mounts etc

steve b

Tony,

Been a while since I have visited - you setup my old mx5 several years ago and I was very happy.

I now have a Toyota MR2 roadster which is extensively modified and only really used on track days, 2ZZGE Celica engine, battery relocated to the front, lot of general weight loss etc.

I had to replace the rear subframe due to localised rust from exhaust heat, at the same time I thought why not fit some coil overs (BC) with camber adjusting top mounts as recommended by MR2 Championship, also fitted some adjustable toe links. Result of course are wheels pointing all over the place.

Last time I visited you didn't have the facility to corner weight I wondered if you do now to get the most out of the new suspension?

Geometry wise my car had previously been setup to factory standard advised settings, but with max neg front camber crash bolts allowed, from tyre wear I can see I need more neg front camber which with the coil overs will now be possible as they have slotted bolt holes plus adjustable top mounts.

I'd like to get over to you on Saturday 5th 1st thing if possible?

Hi ya Steve......

We don't do corner weighting at Chesham simply because it would have to be done on the geo ramp and that's always booked. Nevertheless you would have issues getting the MR2 correctly weighted because they are so light at the front meaning ballast would need to be added.

If you still want to go ahead with the geo on the 5th, what sort of time are you thinking?

Yes it would but outside of competition you wouldn't notice much difference..... Put it this way fill the fuel tank or empty the tank, fill the washer bottle or empty it then you have lost the balance. Obviously the coils need to set correctly regarding height and pre-load if done it should be fine.

Hi Tony, yes book me in for the earliest free slot on the 5th.

Regards corner weighting, I know you'd never get 50/50 front rear, more like 40/60 but weighting side to side would surely help braking stability?

Your booked for 1pm on the 5th, is that ok?

1pm is great see you on the 5th.

Reason I was thinking corner weighting was that I get more locking up of the front passenger side under braking as its myself alone in the car and weight shift, my body weight gives grip to the driver side but not so much to the passenger side. I will aim to get the car level myself this week before coming over with my weight in the driver seat. I assume you add ballast to simulate a driver on board for geometry setup. I admit my last car post MX5 was a lotus that ended up being looked after by Track Group and they added driver equivalent ballast for setup, cannot remember from my last visit to WiM?

The imbalance is more geometry related than weighting in may opinion. Human ballast during a calibration on high rate coilovers makes little difference outside of the millisecond needed in competition. As said the domestic intrusion of fuel and water far exceeds the accuracy you might expect from weighting. I would be more concerned with height, pre-load and the a balanced contact patch to control tyre saturation limits.

Fuel load changes the center of gravity/ roll center in addition to water levels and believe it or not all other fluid levels? On some cars the pre-calibration asks us to check the brake, engine, gearbox, water, diff levels as well as the spare tyre and tools...... Where do you stop?