Spain Train CRASH Near Santiago De Compostela.....

Going too fast for the section is the problem - the question is why was it going too fast. 

Almost certainly it was the drivers 'fault' but maybe he was under pressure to make up time, or break a record or something?

Interesting video though - the engine seem to be Ok, but the first carriage one comes off - I would hazard a guess that the heavier engine was able to do those speeds, but the lighter carriages were flung off the rails.

Yes, you don't do 120 mph round a bend if the limit is 50 mph - the limit is for a reason. But apparently the track will be safe at those speeds for a high speed train when they are introduced on that line.

The train was late but haven't heard how late yet on the news. Agree about the weight and the 2nd carriage was off the rails first.

Another video appeared on the news earlier which shows the last carriage ( I think it was just that one ) caught fire almost immediately and I guess that's where a lot perished as it was a fireball.

Wow that was going fast, it must've been horrible for those inside. RIP to the ones who didn't survive :(

I would have thought trains could been restricted to what speed they can do?

That was quite shocking, RIP to those who died in the crash.

It's not a question of limiting as I'm sure the train can do 120mph in a straight line, it's the bend that was the issue.

I was thinking the whole track had a 50mph limit but then that's abit slow in a straight line!! With all modern technology they must be able to make trains automatically slow when they reach a certain point before a bend.

Good question;

"Minutes before the train came off the tracks he received a call on his work phone to get indications on the route he had to take to get to Ferrol. From the content of the conversation and background noise it seems that the driver consulted a map or paper document," a court statement said.

So I would make an assumption that it was a mobile (if it was the train phone would they say 'his work phone'?) but it's not clear - though it sounds as though he was looking something up and didn't notice he needed to slow down.