Mx5 nc coilover problem

blondie11411

Hi all new here just need a bit of help

I have fitted my 06 mx5 with bc racing coilovers and had alignment done

Then had new tyres fitted and recently have been getting a loose feeling in the suspension

It feels like the standard suspension all squishy(bit difficult to explain lol) if you turn too quick it wallows and just feels soft

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas would be much appreciated

Hi ya and welcome to wim :)

The BC's are high end so there's no question of the product, so let's look at the settings?.... What damper numbers do you have front and rear? What trim height do you have front and rear? by trim i mean the distance between the middle of the wheel up-to the wheel arch at the 12oclk position ( the vertical line )

The alignment/ geometry's job is to fine-tune and compliment the modification. Geometry is end stage so a critical player and needs to be set correctly, do you have any numbers we can read?

Currently running dampers quite hard at 15 front and 20 rear and not too sure about the height will have to measure.

The geo figures off the top of my head are camber 1 deg front and 1.25 rear and toe dead straight as far as I can remember and no castor measurement

Thanks

If the car is getting used solely for road use, those damper settings need to come way down, also the front is never really set to stiffer on the front than the rear. Try backing them off to 10 front and 8 rear. That's how I like to run the NC BCs. Also, the rear camber could do with being about half a degree deeper, and ideally around 0.19 total toe in on the rear, 0.10 total toe in on the front. As for the caster, getting that measured should be a priority.

Joe 

ok guys just found the geo printout and here are the figures

left front camber= -1.oo deg

right front camber= -0.59 deg

left front toe= +0.07

right front toe= +0.04

left rear camber= -1.25

right rear camber= -1.25

left rear toe= +0.11

right rear toe= +0.10

no castor measurement

Numbers are not right but not a million miles away from where they should be.... CASTOR is the issue for now! Any change in height, rake ( body level front-to-rear ) or movement in camber position will dramatically change the castor position.

One of Castors duties is directional stability, this is a mechanical force that generates steering weight and feedback in fast line and cornering reply, you cannot have a low value or imbalanced forces. At the moment the positions are totally blind, this is very unprofessional and inexcusable since the angle is adjustable and a critical player after the type of modification taken place.

I'm more than willing to contact the place that did the work if you want to pm me the cars details/ invoice number and contact details and i will explain the error of their ways..... Your call?

You should be looking from anywhere between 5.30 and 6.30 for the caster. But all the settings really depend on what ride height you're running. If you're in the area at any point give either me or Tony a call or a PM and we'll get it booked in for a little fine tune.

Joe

Oh ok no it's fine I will go and have a word tomorrow. What should the castor be set at as I will make them do it for free or refund me. Thanks for your help

Depending on the wheel size it should be set to 6 degrees 34' and in my book also even to the tolerance of 30' over the axle. Historically on the MX5 due to lowering the chassis knocks back the castor in position and depending on the camber "adjustment" this will leave you with an imbalanced force ( as explained ) My concern is... And let's be honest there is a severe level of ignorance from those who set the chassis not to measure the castor position!

Assuming you have 17" wheels here is the correct target data

Rear

Camber: -1 degree 41'

Toe: + 18' total or +9 each side

Front

Camber -51'

Castor as said + 6 degrees 34' and even!

Toe: +8' total or +4' per side

Ideal trim height is 345mm measured centre of the wheel in the vertical plan> 12oclk wheel arch front and rear, damper settings are as Joe said but you need to explore personal settings.

As offered if you find this information difficult to transport or feel fobbed off, let me know and i will deal with it for you.

Give them the numbers to hit and if there's any issues worrying you or they don't understand the increment of measurement, degrees and minutes/ decimal degrees and minutes give me a call on> 07948427383 and i will help or translate the numbers to whatever increment they use :)