Modifications and the law

Tony

We all like to take our modifications to the limit but how far 'legally' can you go!

Areas like number plates, tinted glass and exhausts are common modifications, what problems have these caused you with the law or any other areas like MOT.

licence plate caused me greif with the MOT,, was easerly sorted by sticking on the proper ones on top...

de cats can be a problem with emmissions but just takes a good old warm up to sort..

Any probs with the law....concerning the suspect plates :D

Liscence plates were a problem with me at MOT time. After a lot of swearing at the tester , they pulled me into the office away from the other customers and said that they'd pass me but not to tell anyone. So with a wink they said see you next week for a retest back infront of the other customers. mad.gif

Not had any problems with the police yet though....touch wood

Also I'm sure having no cats on the car cant be that good considering I have to put one in for the MOT. Then take it back off again after. I just need to find a very understanding MOT test centre :lol:

licence plate caused me greif with the MOT,, was easerly sorted by sticking on the proper ones on top...

de cats can be a problem with emmissions but just takes a good old warm up to sort..

Any probs with the law....concerning the suspect plates :o

ive had cops in front of me, behind me and allll around me, and none have said a dickie, even when tugging me for spirited driving...

Any probs with the law....concerning the suspect plates :D

ive had cops in front of me, behind me and allll around me, and none have said a dickie, even when tugging me for spirited driving...

You have to admit this must be luck! any copper would make a charge if they noticed the 'sticky' :o

ANY tint in the front window and 2 up front sides are ILLEGAL. You can limo tint the rest thou! :lol:

I'm having a debate about where to locate my number plate or run a smaller one, but I cant be bothered with the plod pulling me over.

My car is a Jap import, so there are no emission details for it...passed my MOT few weeks back with decat pipe...the test is done at idle :D

In regards to modification and MOT check the below link. This country is really stating to do my head in!

http://www.rr-ap.com/cat_mag.jpg

Liscence plates were a problem with me at MOT time. After a lot of swearing at the tester , they pulled me into the office away from the other customers and said that they'd pass me but not to tell anyone. So with a wink they said see you next week for a retest back infront of the other customers. :lol:

Also I'm sure having no cats on the car cant be that good considering I have to put one in for the MOT. Then take it back off again after. I just need to find a very understanding MOT test centre :D

Mate, you know a very understanding MOT tester :D

Liscence plates were a problem with me at MOT time. After a lot of swearing at the tester , they pulled me into the office away from the other customers and said that they'd pass me but not to tell anyone. So with a wink they said see you next week for a retest back infront of the other customers. :D

Also I'm sure having no cats on the car cant be that good considering I have to put one in for the MOT. Then take it back off again after. I just need to find a very understanding MOT test centre :D

Mate, you know a very understanding MOT tester :D

Hhmmm not done that drive for a little while..maybe due a drive ooop the mountains :lol:

Any probs with the law....concerning the suspect plates :huh:

You have to admit this must be luck! any copper would make a charge if they noticed the 'sticky' :lol:

yeh sure there must be some luck in it, but also i think its the way you act before and after the tug,, if your being a muppet then yeh the plod could well get the ar se with you..

You have to admit this must be luck! any copper would make a charge if they noticed the 'sticky' :lol:

yeh sure there must be some luck in it, but also i think its the way you act before and after the tug,, if your being a muppet then yeh the plod could well get the ar se with you..

I would seem that most illegal modifications are ignored by the law unless prompted.....personally i feel this 'give and take' subliminal culture is healthy... the Police are aware of the illegal modifications as is the driver... this exposure without trial communicates Police/Owner cohabitation... until the 'boy racer' opens his mouth :huh: then it's 'points time'............ rightly so!

sitting in traffic on the m1 yesterday watching a dvd with a police car next me (i didnt notice him) all he said was "be safer with the radio on" then off he went again, some police seem to think that if the attitude is good they will just have a friendly word and that'll do. shame i wasnt the same when i got pulled for doing 66mph in a 40mph zone on the a127 at 2:00 am (6 points £100 fine)

Exactly....attitude is the name of the game. Be nice to Plod and he won't book ya. Behave like an a$$hole and get youself pinched

Wise words indeed!............ the youth of today i feel cannot communicate unless it's sprayed on a wall... cannot enjoy themselves unless dribbling Fosters Larger followed by a pizza base on the pavement, and cannot drive unless 'uninsured' :lol:.......... were did it go wrong?

I still worry about my exhausts as they're rather loud :) .

Had the police behind me a couple of times, so I have to take it really steady with the gas... would/could they pull me? :huh:

Excluding actual DB measurements, the exhaust should sound 'similar' to the original factory fitment. Other than that a loud exhaust could just make you a target for the law.... to be fair some owners do abuse the noise to the max.

I still worry about my exhausts as they're rather loud :D .

Had the police behind me a couple of times, so I have to take it really steady with the gas... would/could they pull me? :)

Excluding actual DB measurements, the exhaust should sound 'similar' to the original factory fitment. Other than that a loud exhaust could just make you a target for the law.... to be fair some owners do abuse the noise to the max.

"the exhaust should sound 'similar' to the original factory fitment..." Mmmmm, that would be 0DB then :huh: :)

My intention was never to abuse the law, just wanted to be different... approaching my 40's ( :o ), i'm not your typical "boy-racer" any more - hence I drive a Lexus :)

I still worry about my exhausts as they're rather loud :D .

Had the police behind me a couple of times, so I have to take it really steady with the gas... would/could they pull me? :)

"the exhaust should sound 'similar' to the original factory fitment..." Mmmmm, that would be 0DB then :huh: :)

My intention was never to abuse the law, just wanted to be different... approaching my 40's ( :o ), i'm not your typical "boy-racer" any more - hence I drive a Lexus :)

I understand mate :) Recently we had a Vectra in for MOT that had a big bore exhaust..... our old boy tester 'revved' this car time and time again in an attempt to (personally) decide if the sound was outside of the (similar) guidelines... in the end he decided it was and failed the car.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I still worry about my exhausts as they're rather loud :( .

Had the police behind me a couple of times, so I have to take it really steady with the gas... would/could they pull me? :D

"the exhaust should sound 'similar' to the original factory fitment..." Mmmmm, that would be 0DB then :D :lol:

My intention was never to abuse the law, just wanted to be different... approaching my 40's ( :o ), i'm not your typical "boy-racer" any more - hence I drive a Lexus :(

On the way to the last IMOC Rolling road day one of the lads got pulled by the notoriously bad essexs coppers. He was doing 60 in a 70 and cruising so as not to warm up his chargecooler, they pulled him and gave him a £60 fine for the exhaust without testing it with a sound meter.

There comment was something a long the lines of "we could give you a notice to take it off but we know it'll be back on the next day so we're gonna fine you".

Charming.

I still worry about my exhausts as they're rather loud :( .

Had the police behind me a couple of times, so I have to take it really steady with the gas... would/could they pull me? :D

"the exhaust should sound 'similar' to the original factory fitment..." Mmmmm, that would be 0DB then :D :lol:

My intention was never to abuse the law, just wanted to be different... approaching my 40's ( :o ), i'm not your typical "boy-racer" any more - hence I drive a Lexus :(

On the way to the last IMOC Rolling road day one of the lads got pulled by the notoriously bad essexs coppers. He was doing 60 in a 70 and cruising so as not to warm up his chargecooler, they pulled him and gave him a £60 fine for the exhaust without testing it with a sound meter.

There comment was something a long the lines of "we could give you a notice to take it off but we know it'll be back on the next day so we're gonna fine you".

Charming.

That's ridiculous, the police are not the jury only enforcers........He should have contested the fine

• 4 years later...

Having nitrous on your car can be troublesome only a couple of companies will cover it , my last car was heavily modified and had nitrous and it was insured to be fitted but only used on the drag strip :):)

The insurers were cool (A plan) so anytime i made a change they just listed it on the policy and asked me what the total horsepower was

Many many years ago I had a street legal turbo-charged bike which i tried to insure for use on the road as i only rode it on the drag strip but the premuim was £1800 third party only so decided to give that a miss