Steve-O's MX5

Steve-O

ok got the car back - the cat i had ordered from mx5 parts was a poor fit (and will be returned) and was utterly desperate for a same day solution.

I was lucky and found a cat in Merton, SW London so raced down there and brought it back to Wim. It was genuinely a last ditch punt - if this didnt fit the mx5 would not be going to france. On paper it looked right but had no idea of the flange orientation. Luckily it fit with some heat and minor tweaking of the front pipe.Very pleased!!!

The new cobalt exhaust system sounds superb, and i can definitely feel its freed things up slightly. Had a couple of pops out of it on the way home from unburnt gas :D

The charger now fouls the bonnet slightly so tomorrow i will be sorting that out and working on the belt alignment and getting a few stickers on her for the trip down to folkstone thursday 6am.

As always the Wim guys (Joe especially) succeeded despite the difficulties. They are a credit to your business Tony and reaffirms why i support WiM 100%.

Well the whole event has been problematic but the team hit the bulls eye under pressure so that's really great to read.... We all have to agree this modifying lark will never problem free because we are moving the boundaries, solutions are the key and then satisfaction for everyone's efforts... Steve everyone knows you will and possibly already have a unique MX5 chaser...... Let the fun begin, now where's that BMW at the lights :smile_anim:  

Just a quick one - after a final day of getting I travelled nearly 400 miles to Le Mans. The car was absolutely faultless and the first real drive without any niggles. I realigned the supercharger belt before I went and its been perfect. No jumping or rubber shavings left on the bonnet which indicates its happy. The only niggle left is a milalor clamp touching slightly on a bonnet brace.

Really am enjoying the car now and all the stress has subsided. Had some real fun on some b-roads via la havre. Will post a few sexy LM pics in the other forum soon.

Can't wait to drive back lol

Cheers

Steve

Good to hear that everythings going nicely with the car now that you've got the exhaust business sorted, and what a great trip to give it a good old test :) Great to hear of the WIM guys doing their usual great work and going out of their way to look after customers, well done lads :)

Hi Joe :)

Atfer all that messing about when i looked at it at home it was a poxy mikalor clamp not the charger!

Its still rubbing despite moving the blt away from the bonnet but its a lot better, Ultimately i'll need to rotate the charge 1/4" or so to get some proper clearance.

Other than that its been running well :)

• 3 months later...

Just an interim update as its been a while... so after the previous exhaust fitment drama had some time to run the car around but it was only temporary since the next stage has begun. Sorting out the achilles heel of the MK1 MX5: Rear Arches and Sills. Car is now at the MX5 Restorer where shes undergoing a spot of surgery :

image1.jpeg

image.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image4.jpeg

I have been told that underneath the panels it was one of the cleanest UK MX5's they had seen and were adament she has had a fairly pampered life up until now which is nice to know :D

Alongside the arch and sill work things kind of slipped and i've decided to get some extra stuff done whilst its in :

Full Respray in Nissan WV2 Sparking Silver. Debadging and filling of holes in bumper.

Refurb wheels in Gloss Black

new windscreen (got a big stone chip)

Full cavity wax and underbody seal

Numerous niggles ironed out - there is a possibility i might need a new steering rack to cure a occasional knock thats irritating me.

Once i get the car back from the MX5 Restorer - I have got some more goodies to install:

Meister R coilovers

New air intake pipework

Swapping from vent to atmos dump valve to a forge recirc - i've decided i don't like the dump valve sound.

Another rolling road/megasquirt tuning session to try and release a few extra ponies and fine tune cold starts and a rich running issue thats going to affect my MOT emissions test.

I might possibly look at getting a half cage installed for additional protection when i track her but at this stage i want to see how she handles once the coilovers are on and take it from there.

Car is due back to the restorer from the bodyshop around the 21st of the month and then he can work his magic on the remaining items, with the coilovers hopefully going on sometime in november.

Getting massive withdrawal symptoms now but it will be all worth it!

i am pretty sure i stated at the beginning of this years quote that i intended to install a half cage and they said all i had to do is phone up and declare, as the loading was already applied to the policy. So maybe if they are being tight they might charge me an admin fee or something...

• 3 weeks later...

Got these last week. MeisterR Zeta S Coilovers. Now sitting in my house awaiting fitment. The design and quality of the finish on these is superb - i almost just want to mount them on the wall in my office :D. Really pleased with how they look and the quality, and i hope the damping adjustment and ride lives up to the hype. They threw in a new special tool that locks into the ride height adjustment collar that cannot slip - so in theory should mean less sliced knuckles lol

IMAG0195.jpg

I got 15% off the RRP of these - but i think it put them in the realms of Gaz and BC so wasn't massive value or anything. Just fed up of the tired ride and skitiishness on the road. I will take a pic later on of the extra tool. I dont think its anything elaborate or exciting - its just a variant on the usual C-Spanners you get i think.

It's had the works so should be flawless. 

It's hard to tell but that's a Gunmetal from the R34 skyline.  I picked it as it had a bit of depth to it.  You can sort if pick that up on the bumper.

Excited to see it rebuilt and in the flesh now.