Steve-O's MX5

Steve-O

Yeah i think thats why i love it so much - i love the muscle car period. Going to try and get some nice black bezel/black face analogue gauges that match in which should really look the part.

Tone : yeah love a gadget. I wasnt going to do gauges but i have decided that having oil/water temp and boost will allow me to monitor a few things without the tablet in place = cleaner setup. Becuase its a new panel i might be able to squeeze in a discrete volt readout as well since the car is sat for long periods its good to know what the battery is like when i hop in.

Picked up some nice black suede/red stitch handbrake and gearshift gaiters the other day. They will be going in as well at the same time just to add an extra bit of sportyness to the interior :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Rich forgot to respond to this. I have brought a couple of things from Japan and the US for the car - US is pretty easy but the Japanese websites require some perseverance often direct emails as their online stores don't cater for paying and setting UK delivery addresses! The console is from Zoom engineering.

So i had time to tinker today and got the new console in for the first time and got the power wired up, added a small switch to turn the gauge back lights on/off which also dims the boost gauge at the same time, I spent 3/4 hours over last week getting a loom made up and i also added in a PC motherboard style connection so it can be removed easily without disturbing the wiring in the car.

The console itself is black feux leather which against the dash and the flocked crash pads adds a bit more detail and looks almost OEM.

Also took the time to replace the gearstick and handbrake gaitors with black suede versions with red stitching. Its a small detail but i think its great.

IMG_2730.jpg

That's looking really good Steve coming on nicely. Electrics isn't something I like to dabble with too much, always scared I'm gonna do more harm than good.

I take it buying abroad is only worth it for turbos, superchargers, ECUs etc or unique parts like this that can't be bought over here?

These days theres no need to import forced induction kits or parts. Theres an increasing market at the moment and loads of people are doing installs and parts in the UK.

The stuff i have imported has mainly been stuff that you cannot get in the UK, crank overlay and the zoom console being two of the main ones. You just cant get them so in my mind makes it worth the agro :)

• 1 year later...

wow i cant believe i haven't updated this for near on 14 months!

So i thought i'd post up my adventure today. After 4 month stint sat in the garage the car is due for an MOT this month. I thought i'd better rouse her from her pit and see where i stood with things and what was likely to bite me on the ass.

It took the best part of 30 minutes to finally get her started. It was 0-1 degree out and she had been stood which she never liked anyway so it was a real battle. My freshly charged Bosch S5 was beginning to scream for mercy so i knew i was running out of time at which point i'd have to abort the MOT test, which would be massively annoying as i took the day off to get it sorted.

Connected my Anker jump pack and it was teasing me with a splutter and a brief moment of ignition but she still wasn't having any of it. I think it was her way of punishing me for leaving her alone all that time :) Anyway off came the air filter and a liberal squirt of carb cleaner down her throat. Sure enough after a few more goes to get the spray in her chambers she fired into life!

Got her out and let her idle for 10 minutes then moved her around the front to see how she was looking :

IMG_20170120_100048.jpg

Looking a bit sorry for herself and in dire need of a good clean. So thats what exactly she got. I noticed that the handbrake didnt work very well and somehow had picked up a power steering leak which was dripping on the ground. The reservoir was empty so i knew that this and the handbrake would be issues at test time. And what seems to be my nemesis at the moment - emissions. Makes me sad just thinking about it.

Anyway took the car out for a nice long drive after topping the power steering fluid up, to blow the cobwebs out and could find nothing else wrong, supercharger was happy and was running well! So chucked some injector cleaner in and went off down to see Stuart at Japex. Stuart has recently done an oil change on my Clio and i hard warned him he will be seeing my mx5 soon. Today was judgement day!

After Sturart kindly sorted me out with a coffee she went on the ramps went and straight into an emissions pre-test. He knew i was worried about it. First pass it failed on the idle but passed the fast idle which a couple of years ago was the problem so that was encouraging. 2nd pass and and all came into spec and passed! Massively happy! Seems we have turned a corner with that issue. Brilliant.

Then the bad news came. My rear tyre had picked up a screw on the drive over to Japex :( And the handbrake and powernsteering leak meant that the car failed despite the emissions win. So its going back to Stuart to get the latter 2 sorted and then we should be good for another year!

In the mean time once i had finally got the car back home (against the clock before the tyre went flat) i removed the wheel and headed over to my favourite tye and geo place - Black Boots / Wheels In motion :)

Marched in there like a damsel in distress and within 25 minutes i was back on my way again with a fixed wheel in my boot after talking tyres with Mick and a very brief wave to Joe who was busy on a MK3 mx5 on the ramps. Great service as always and a pleasure going in there. Well worth the trip to make sure my wheel didn't get damaged on the tyre machine! Great Guys.

So some more work due for the old girl to ger her back on form and i can't complain as she hasn't really asked for much mechanically for years. Although my tyre has been repaired i could see they are all getting on a bit so i am now looking at replacement rubber. At the moment Bridgestone RE002 are looking favorable at around £64 a corner fitted - thats the sweet spot of price v performance for me and they last years!

So there we go a long overdue update - i am really going to try and use her more this year. Maybe not track days but some nice road trips around the UK. Might try and get to the fabeled 'EVO Triangle'.  Hopefully i can get some good photos i can share on here!

Cheers!

Steve

Yep she was not happy! LIke most things the more you use them the better they behave. I'm going to start driving her into work a bit to keep the usage up. Always tricking though as i sometimes work odd hours and firing her up in the garage would probably annoy the neighbours!!

The power steering leak was topped up but its leaking at quite a rate.I am hoping its just a split hose or something thats worked loose.

The screw was bang centre of the tyre so it was straight forward for Gareth to repair. It took all of 15 minutes and they was all over it immediately with no fuss. Reminds me why i keep going back there they can't be beaten. The touchless machines are also a must as i dont want my powdercoat finish damaged. If they're good enough for the various supercars they see then its good enough for me :)

Sounds like it was a fun day Steve!

I assume there was no PAS leak before you put the car in the garage? I wonder why it's just started leaking.

Stuart at Japex is a nice guy, he's very thorough in checking everything. I spent £800 there last month on the Accord!  :thumbsdown_anim:

Did BB remove the tyre on the BOSS machine then? I don't think I've even seen those in use yet.

Sounds like it was a fun day Steve!

I assume there was no PAS leak before you put the car in the garage? I wonder why it's just started leaking.

Stuart at Japex is a nice guy, he's very thorough in checking everything. I spent £800 there last month on the Accord!  :thumbsdown_anim:

Did BB remove the tyre on the BOSS machine then? I don't think I've even seen those in use yet.

Yeah its odd - it was fine as far as i know and just got it out one day after being stood and noticed an oil patch. Assumed engine oil and thought an oil seal was on the way out. Parked it up for 3 months over christmas and laid a plastic tray over the drip and it was full when i got it out again - had the entire reservoir in it! If i had to guess i think either a hardpipe on the rack has split or a hose connection has worked loose. I am hoping its the latter as the first one might mean more serious work needed on the rack. Its p**sing out at the moment.

Its in now with them and not heard anything but i am expecting to get a call soon with the prognosis which will probably involved some expense. Shes 20 years old this year so i can forgive her for wanting some TLC :)

Yeah the whole reason i went to and use Black boots is they have that awesome touchless machine which doesnt damage my powdercoat finish. Its worth the driver over and premium versus having to refinish a wheel. I haven't seen another garage nearby that has that capability.

:lol: i think there are reasons behind it - i know Stuart politely declined to touch my puncture as he started and knew that he would damage the finish - my wheels have a very shallow angle > area to work with on the lip of the wheels > tyre due to heavy powdercoating and the design, in which to get any leverage which i think is a bad thing for a lot of places. I think on standard wheels you dont have that issue.

These wheels look great but they are a pain. They use fussy narrow valves as well which can be tricky to get hold of.