Steve-O's MX5

Steve-O

Reads a terrific day..... I can see some body roll but nothing to concerning given the grip level..... Remember a change in damper settings can also change the under/ oversteer levels. Generally understeer for fast-track, understeer for short/ trials.

Cheers guys - yeah was a great day. I would recommend getting along to one at some stage if it interests you! :)

Reads a terrific day..... I can see some body roll but nothing to concerning given the grip level..... Remember a change in damper settings can also

change the under/ oversteer levels. Generally understeer for fast-track, understeer for short/ trials.

I was actually surprised then when i turned all 4 corners up to max it was spot on - i was expecting to have to dial them back at the front or rear slightly. The only adjustment was the tyre pressures where i started on 28 psi and moved up to 29 psi and it was just enough of an improvement on grip that i didnt touch it for the rest of the day. I'd like to think i was fairly smooth and the alignment allowed me to be very precise with smooth cornering and keeping some very tight lines on the corners, i do know that i could have provoked it easily enough into a slide if i was more digital with my inputs. i had one or two small oversteer moments due to being under braking whilst turning in but that was actually done on purpose as i wasnt to chuck it around and see how it responded. When all the braking was done in a straight line and turning in i could hug the inner track line all day long.

The weak spot i felt was the fact the car did lean a bit and i was having to brace myself which actually slowed me down in the corners. So some firmer ARBs and some supportive seats are really just to exploit the potential thats still lurking in the car. I was keeping a decent pace along side an elise but it was far superior in the bends and i put that down to the above.

Yeah thats exactly what i mean. The elise doesn't exactly look like its rubbing its mirror on the tarmac but its clear the mx5 is having an easier time of it.

I suspect the ARBS and seats need to go at the same time  - seems pointless getting the ARBs done and still be falling out of the door mid corner :D

Any experience with aftermarket sensibly uprated ARBs Tone? 

Having a brain fart at the moment :blink: ..... Whiteline three point adjustable are the one's i think are best. I think those are white. The red one's are H&S/ Tein bars, three point adjustable but i'm not sure of the lbs between them? It's wise to fit adjustable drop-links as well

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

So the old girl has once again made a journey down to the mx5 restorer for some tlc some of which includes:

Trlane gpd half cage with harness bar (black)

Uprated fast road clutch and lightened flywheel

New front wings and corrective work to sort some signs of rust

Paint and fit of KG works ducktail spoiler

New power steering pump and aux belts

Steam clean of engine bay

Troubleshoot wideband not working

Fit thicker core Ali rad and 2 x slimline fans

Once this has been done then I will address the ARB shortfall. Tbh looking forwards to seeing the cage and ducktail on I think that's gonna tip it over the edge into something that looks purposeful :)

• Like 1

It is a bit of addiction if i am honest but i am doing my best to only make positive changes to the car. That said though i think there is a limited path left for me to go with the car and then its just about looking after it and enjoying it.

In the back of my mind i keep thinking Corvette LS conversion way down the line.... i dont know why lol