The Invisible Touch E30 Track Car

Invisible Touch Detailing

Serious progress..... Point to note about the polly bushings, in the past i have had situations where the polly's don't quite sit in the hole correctly so when tightened they lock the wishbone/ control arm, meaning it stops free movement.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Few more parts sorted for this lately.

I now have some of the handbrake components that i need, can sort the rest of these at a later date.

E30 M3 eccentric front control arm bushes arrived and have been fitted to the 'lollipops', which have also been painted black. These bushes are far more substantial than the normal e30 bushes and brings the wishbone out and the wheel forward for better geometry options.

New Lemforder front control arms complete with new ball joints, also painted black.

New rear disc shields as mine have rusted to hell :)

An uprated/stiffer Eiback anti roll bar for the rear has been freshly painted red, the drop links for this painted silver, the bushes were already very good in these and the roll bar came with polybushes.

And finally new OEM rear discs with black painted calipers. Black wasnt my first choice to paint these, but the front brakes i will be fitting only come in black. They will at least match the cars 'theme'

Will be a big task to get it all changed over tomorrow and one i have been looking forward to seeing. Should make a big difference with all the bushes replaced and with all freshly painted bits. At least it will look good if it ends up on its roof on track :)

Pics to follow....

Cheers Tony :) Well what a day! The new backend has been built on the floor, this took a while on its own. The welded tabs on the subframe seem to offer some good adjustment and trailing arms appear to be moving freely with the powerflex bushes which is great.

Hours, have been spent this afternoon and evening removing the old backend from the car, the main subframe bushes that attach to the chassis were absolutely welded on. We have some fantastic equipment on hand but even then it was still a pig of a job! But, it is now off.

Tomorrow the new bits will go up. No pics yet as i just didnt have time, just imagine a rusty subframe, trailing arms, diff, grotty drum brakes with knackered bushes everywhere sitting on the floor.

Will update again tomorrow :)

I think it would just be the pick up points Tony? I cant claim i totally understand, but everything seems to be fine.

Few pics from the last couple of days work...

Lemforder control arms with new ball joints and M3 eccentric bushes

DSC09887_zps4e067e71.jpg

DSC09888_zpsbb9537c0.jpg

DSC09890_zps93448005.jpg

Subframe with drums replaced. New subframe bushes, powerflex control arm bushes, welded tabs to offer toe and camber adjustment, Pagid discs and new disc shields, Greenstuff pads (as they came with the other car and were in good condition), rebuilt S 4.10 LSD with new bush, Eibach anti-roll bar, handbrake cables run through the car and everything freshly painted :)

DSC09891_zpsdb74fd0c.jpg

DSC09892_zpsbd471304.jpg

DSC09893_zps263ba981.jpg

DSC09895_zpsbb83ae7e.jpg

Your joking arent you? feels like its gona take forever! Its not often i get the chance to do some work on it, its normally spent on other peoples :)

Next up is going to be finishing any rust and welding issues. I also need to get the cage into work to start test fitting. Lately i have even been considering not using the cage. I'll most likely only use it 4 or 5 times a year on track, the rest will be for some fun on the road. Not bold over with having it caged on the road, although it would add a finished touch and be safer for track.

What do you think?