Different tyre specs for same model

TheBoy

There are lots of different SC3, and probably other tyres, that are specifically modified for each car manufacturer. SC3, for example, is available for Porsche, Merc, Audi and 'generic'. Possibly more.

What are the differences, and how are us poor consumers supposed to know about this, and what the differences are?

All seems a bit naughty by the tyre industry, IMHO. As if to create confusion, making it a black art, but with the end result of consumers possibly not getting the tyre they expected/wanted.

I appreciate for many customers of standard fast-fit places, a tyre is black and round, and an annoyance to have to replace for MOTs etc. Although I suspect WIM members do know better, having a better understanding of geometry, suspension and grip.

Bit like the Pirelli P6000. There's hundreds of different versions, some work well on light cars, some are horrendous on the same car. Others work well on heavy cars. Some have sidewalls that bulge on the first stone you hit, and some will take a hell of a beating with no issues.

I think if you have a car that needs a specific tyre (Porsche N, Bmw RFT, etc), then get that tyre. If it doesn't, then go for the generic tyre.

Is there any way we, as consumers, can see what the differences are? As currently, I think its impossible to make an informed choice.

It also makes a mokery of any tyre test reviews that the magazines do (although I think they are only relevent if done on similar sized cars and suspension designs as your own car), as what are they testing?

It all seems a black art, and the consumer is in the dark. Experimentation will be expensive, with a set of tyres costing between £600 and £1000

Conti use different start compounds that compliment the cars weight/ power and safety systems. In some cases they also have an extra ply in the sidewall, it's for this reason you should stick to approved makes.

OK, I'm confused (yeah, yeah, easily done, I know).

Lets take SC3 for Mercs as an example. Merc make small family cars and bloomin' great exec saloons. I suspect they vary in weight/power, so not quite sure why that would need a different tyre to BMW (I know/believe there is not BMW SC3 variamt), which also does a small family car and large execs. If the compound is adjusted for, say, large execs, then is the Merc/BMW/Audi/Acme variant not suitable for the same marque's smaller models?

Told you I was confuddled!

Fitting the wrong type of SC could effect grip and general life of the tyre. There is also liability for the fitting center so it's just not a done thing.

But the counter argument of that is would the same apply to a generic, non-marque specific, variant? How do we (consumers) know if the generic one on a Vauxhall is better/worse/indifferent to a Merc/Audi/Porsche/AcmeCarsLtd variant fitted to a Vauxhall?

I know the answer is we don't know, but thought I'd throw it in for the purpsoses of debate and discussion :)

You don't know but the tyre center should know if your buying tyers.

Thats all well and good if your supplier/fitter can be trusted. Not always so ideal if supplier/fitter is tied to a supplier (eg, Central, or the indy opposite here, B&T, always recommending Cooper/Avon), or has stock on the shelves that they want shifting.

There seems to be so little info on the manufacturer's websites to help in such situations (having spent most of the week pouring over the Conti, GY and Dunlop sites), the cynic in me says this is by design ;)

• 4 weeks later...

How much of this is down to marketing? You must use this tyre on this car as it's made specificaly for it, and it allows me to charge you more for the privilege?

Sorry, but if it's round, black has the relevant speed and weight rating and is not a ditchfinder, then how is your tyre different?

It's trading on FUD, fear, uncertainty and doubt!

h

Bridgestone are going to stop making model specific tyres, whereas high-end cars will still have to use them. Porsche have to use a N rated compound which is constantly evolving with the likes of the N1/ N2/ N3 and so on. Problem is when a N model is replaced with a new number the owner has to replace all four or the Porsche warranty is void.

Lexus used the CZ compound but this was discontinued without any problems. The Porsche N rated tyre has a super sticky start compound that allows the rubber to bed in and keep the car on the road during that period.

Interesting, never knew it was a different tyre compound. Actually quite strange for a relatively ordinary car, and not something so performance focussed like a Porsche.

What's the chance of the tyre supplier actually having the correct tyres in stock ?

For a quick sale I'm sure some places would fit whatever they had in stock while assuring the customer they are the correct ones , some years back a tyre place actually fitted the wrong size to my freelander , they fitted a lower profile than I wanted and that the car had on and I didn't notice immediately , they then tried to blame me for the mistake and refused to refund me , luckily the credit card covered me

There's bound to be some deceptions out there but for us most tyres are ordered in since we cannot stock everything. Some years back i know of a dealer who fitted the incorrect compound the a second hand car they sold, a few miles after the owner collected it he lost control at a roundabout and wrote the car off with the help of a lamp post. The owner sewed, claiming non approved tyres were fitted and he won his case.