Tango, your IS 250 aero spoilers

TK Chan

Tango, I note that your IS 250 has the optional aero spoilers installed except the rear end bumper spoiler. How do you like them and why left out the rear end bumper spoiler? Are they more for aesthetic look than actual effect. My local agent has the full set at around 870GBP, including the rear end bumper spoiler, but again it will be a long wait for 10 to 12 weeks to get the matched colour set for my 250. :thumbsup_anim: The rear wing is love and hate. I don't know. I like how the rear trunk cover curved with the side styling of the car but the duck tail wing is pretty cool. :sad01_anim: The bad thing is you need to drill holes in the trunk to install the wing and it is going to stick there forever. :sad01_anim:

Your beautiful 250 :rolleyes_anim: :

lexmar219yx5.jpg

lexmar215eu5.jpg

My pretty much stock 250: :angry2:

_U3J9248.jpg

_U3J9188.jpg

Tango, I note that your IS 250 has the optional aero spoilers installed except the rear end bumper spoiler. How do you like them and why left out the rear end bumper spoiler? Are they more for aesthetic look than actual effect. My local agent has the full set at around 870GBP, including the rear end bumper spoiler, but again it will be a long wait for 10 to 12 weeks to get the matched colour set for my 250. :rolleyes_anim: The rear wing is love and hate. I don't know. I like how the rear trunk cover curved with the side styling of the car but the duck tail wing is pretty cool. :sad01_anim: The bad thing is you need to drill holes in the trunk to install the wing and it is going to stick there forever. :thumbsup_anim:

TKC,

My 250 SE-L was also stock when purchased. The body mods are just the boot lip and front bib spoiler, both Lexus parts that are not as yet available from dealers in the UK (need to be imported from Japan). Both parts require drilling/slotting of the original panels to fit and I fitted both myself. Both I think are subtle changes to make the car a little different to the rest currently on the road, and I did not fit the rear end bumper mod because it's hardly noticable as a change at all. I am also fitting a Tanabe Stainless Steel exhaust system within the next couple of weeks and I know the slightly bigger tailpipes will fit the standard rear end without mods. Also looking to change the grill, but haven't found any expanded steel mesh that would suit (so far) :angry2:

The sides are still original but as the Lexus 'ground effects' bodykit includes slightly wider clip on replacements I may bring a pair back with me on my next trip to the US (which is how the bib and lip got to the UK),

Both really lovely looking cars guys. Also loving the rear spoiler on the top one. :thumbsup_anim:

Can I ask though, what is the front bib thingy? As they both seem the same to me? :rolleyes_anim:

Adie, if you look carefully, Tango's 250 has the front lip spoiler installed. Mine just comes in stock version. Lexus has an aero pack designed for the IS250 and IS350. As Tango said, the pack changes subtle styling of the under skirt with the most obvious one being the rear duck wing.

• 3 weeks later...

Tango and other IS 250 owners,

How do you like the body kit by Tom's racing:

http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/e/comp/lexus/is45/photo.html

The lip spoiler seems a bit subtle, I means less "agressive" than the OEM's but the rear bumper spoiler is quite good. They have just released the boot spoiler but I think the OEM one (the one Tango's 250) looks better.

img.jpg

............ Also looking to change the grill, but haven't found any expanded steel mesh that would suit (so far) :rolleyes_anim:

Tango,

Would like to advise you to have a second thought as to changing the grill. May be you know already, that grill is a closed grill and its function besides carrying its unique styling, is one of aerodynamic related. The fins in the grill are designed (don't know if by coincidence or purposely) to divert the frontal air flow to drift smoothly across the bonnet. If the grill is replaced with wire mesh, that bit of aerodynamic is lost plus it will cause unnecessary air turbulance inside the engine compartment. I come across an aftermarket grill mess though looks good alone yet terribly ugly when installed.

TK Chan

............ Also looking to change the grill, but haven't found any expanded steel mesh that would suit (so far) :crying_anim:

Tango,

Would like to advise you to have a second thought as to changing the grill. May be you know already, that grill is a closed grill and its function besides carrying its unique styling, is one of aerodynamic related. The fins in the grill are designed (don't know if by coincidence or purposely) to divert the frontal air flow to drift smoothly across the bonnet. If the grill is replaced with wire mesh, that bit of aerodynamic is lost plus it will cause unnecessary air turbulance inside the engine compartment. I come across an aftermarket grill mess though looks good alone yet terribly ugly when installed.

TK Chan

TK,

Not sure whether the air flow theory is correct as the fins are enclosed by the grill surround so the air isn't channeled anywhere. I was thinking of something similar (if not the part) from the IS-F..see below

dsc03430ig1.jpg

TK,

Not sure whether the air flow theory is correct as the fins are enclosed by the grill surround so the air isn't channeled anywhere. I was thinking of something similar (if not the part) from the IS-F..see below

dsc03430ig1.jpg

Tango,

That IS-F grill is cool. If the part fits the IS 250 then it's perfect otherwise you have to manufacture your own :P. BTW, what do you think of the Tom's racing body kit I mentioned earlier. We have only the OEM and Tom's racing body kit available and I am 60% towards the OEM.

I am not entirely appreciative of the IS-F styling. The raised hood to accommodate that massive engine does not look good to me and takes away the balance of the sleek body styling.

TK

Tango,

That IS-F grill is cool. If the part fits the IS 250 then it's perfect otherwise you have to manufacture your own :P. BTW, what do you think of the Tom's racing body kit I mentioned earlier. We have only the OEM and Tom's racing body kit available and I am 60% towards the OEM.

I am not entirely appreciative of the IS-F styling. The raised hood to accommodate that massive engine does not look good to me and takes away the balance of the sleek body styling.

TK

I saw the Toms in the US and preferred the OEM. Also fitting the OEM bodykit to a relatively new car minimises depreciation and can help sell the car, if and whenever I may sell it, whereas people are often wary of non-standard parts that aren't a factory option.

I have seen both the IS-F and the LF-A when they were exhibited at the Houston, Texas Auto Show a few months ago. The IS-F looks, in my opinion, very odd with the bulbous bonnet and side vents that look like a bolt on part from some accessory shop. The quad pipes also look peculiar, and the IS-F logos are sprinkled around the bodywork and interior without too much thought. I don't think I'll be replacing my car for one anyway, although if Lexus brought the IS350 to the UK I wouldn't hesitate...I've driven a couple in the US and the power is more than adequate.

I saw the Toms in the US and preferred the OEM. Also fitting the OEM bodykit to a relatively new car minimises depreciation and can help sell the car, if and whenever I may sell it, whereas people are often wary of non-standard parts that aren't a factory option.

I have seen both the IS-F and the LF-A when they were exhibited at the Houston, Texas Auto Show a few months ago. The IS-F looks, in my opinion, very odd with the bulbous bonnet and side vents that look like a bolt on part from some accessory shop. The quad pipes also look peculiar, and the IS-F logos are sprinkled around the bodywork and interior without too much thought. I don't think I'll be replacing my car for one anyway, although if Lexus brought the IS350 to the UK I wouldn't hesitate...I've driven a couple in the US and the power is more than adequte.

Tango,

Thanks for your advice. You've cleared my troubled mind regarding the body kit. ;)

I agree entirely with your comments on the IS-F styling. Hope Lexus give a better thought to the production model. We don't have official import of the IS350 either. I've heard that parallel import puts it at a price tag of GBP40000+. However, I would anytime choose a new 3 series BMW with that lot of money.

TK