MX-5 NC suspension choice

Fernando

I am currently searching for an MX-5 NC. Use is as a fun, yet civilised, second car and to do about 3 track days a year. I have settled on a 2.0 Sport on the basis I get Bilsteins and an LSD. Obviously it would be WIM'd ASAP after purchase!

However, it has occurred to me that perhaps I am going about it the wrong way - would I be better off with a lesser, therefore cheaper, 2.0 and have coilovers fitted from the outset? Gaz Gold came to mind.

I have had uncompromised cars like Caterhams in the past and was only concerned about handling. I want the MX-5 to ride as near stock as possible, though, as it will be used for trips out with my wife where neither of us will appreciate a bone shaking ride!

Opinions sought ...

Hello

Lowering coils on the Bilsteins work really well but lack the adjustability of coilovers..... My preference would be BC Racing coilovers because they have an adjustable body to set the height rather than an adjustable perch and they come with top mounts.

I like my BC's =) Once Tony gets his hands on the car with BC's on it I doubt you would notice the difference between a Billstein setup and a BC setup :)

Tony you referring to the BC's being able to adjust ride height without sacrificing suspension travel that you see with simple lowering coils?

I keep wondering about BC racing coils , I've been touring Scotland a lot lately and I'm a bit short clearance at times, an extra 10mm I feel would make a big difference on single track roads (I can ground out if gravel is sitting on top of the camber) . Is there an an equivalent spring rate to give similar ride quality I wonder, I note that BC racing provide the choice of two spring rates.

Edit: currently on WIM coils

That must have been a large change in spring rate over the supplied rate :o. I could see that being an issue. Would even moving 1 or 2k down the springrate scale warrant this level of work though? Could their potentially be dampening issues if the springrates are changed significantly?

Sorry to highjack your thread Fernando. Next time I will make a new thread =)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info and sorry for taking so long to reply. Tony, can you give me an approximate price of fitted BC coilovers?

(I still haven't found a decent car at a decent price BTW. It's getting cold now so should be bargains soon ;))

The BC racing coil-overs are £699 inclusive of v.a.t. We do offer a package deal for supplying, fitting and aligning the car.