Kid crashes BMW M3 into rocks (2012)

Tony

It's the fact he obviously didn't know the road either which really gets me. There where several undulations in the road where the car maintained grip but only just. Then he goes over that undulation too fast, front looses grip and the inevitable happens.

One thing I have learnt is unless you know the road, don't drive like a wannabe.

This kid learnt the hard way by smashing up what looks like a fairly new m3.

Oh well ! :D

they way he was leaning into the bends, looks like he thought he was on a sailing boat !

he didn't have much of a clue about driving let alone driving fast

a lesson learnt ....hopefully !

Smartly.. looks like go pro video footage to me.

All the 'cool' kids have them and stick them on the side of their cars to film them doing dumb stuff

I think the lad borrowed daddy's car and might have some explaining to do.

Watching the video again, his throttle and braking is all over the place, so not very confident or experienced with the road / car

Definitely too much xbox, doesn't look like he's been driving a car too long.............

Pi$$ poor reactions too, doesn't even try and turn in harder when the car starts to understeer off the road (not that it would have necessarily made any difference, but just the natural reaction)

Ouch, looks expensive. Hopefully they weren't hurt too much.

Does anyone rate any of the racing sims as good practice? Not talking about the silly arcade type, more stuff like Forza or the PC ones like iracing.

I'm sure the winner of one of the iracing leagues got a sponsered drive in one series a while back.

hmm, don't think this is the guy I was thinking of but similar story nonetheless

http://www.virtualr.net/greger-huttu-in-a-real-race-car-iracing-video-feature

I used to race 'simulators' pretty hardcore a few years ago. I will putting in probably 20 hours a week. We would race once a month and then the race would be edited and turned into a broadcast. Supposedly we had 100k people downloading the races from Korea... but I'm not convinced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IgjvSE6pS8

Watch around 10:30

You want to stay away from 'simulators' like Forza and GT5. They are glorified arcade racers with many of the calculations 'fudged' so they can make room for processing graphics. The collision detection is about something I would have expected from a proper marketed simulator about 10 years ago.

IRacing is where it's at IMO. Downside is it's expensive. I played 'Live for Speed' (not to be confused with 'Need for Speed'). GTR series is ok, but it was still arcady for me.

I think with any of these though its how you approach it. I had a force feedback wheel with a BRD speed7 pedal setup. The pedals had springs in them to make them 'feel' like the real thing. You didn't get the feedback into the brake pedal you had to rely on the FF wheel and the sounds to tell you were locking up, but all in all it was 'ok'.

As computers up their processing power you will have more and more realistic simulators. The one I played simulated the suspension movements and the tire contact patch as well as damage. (the geometry would deform when you made contact with something). There comes a point every simulator will 'fudge' the maths on calculating out contact patches, partly because not enough is known, but more the case is that the calculations just cannot be done fast enough to provide a 'realistic' feel.

It's how you approach it. I don't think you can learn too much on car behaviour, maybe some of the basics. IMO they are a good tool if you plan on hitting trackdays so you know when to turn left and turn right and a good rough guess on what speed you can carry through a corner. Key word is ROUGH!

I agree Tony! You can buy motion simulators, but if you have £10k to plop down on a simulator surely you have enough cash to put together an MX5 and race in the MX5 cup series for a year?

I think what simulators can do, if you get into the right league, is to simulate some of the mental pressures that are on a driver. Hitting those lines every corner, defending your position, how to attack. The cars do not behave exactly right, but everyone is on a level playing field, if you pair up with a competent driver you can learn a lot about how to cope with some of the mental pressures that come with racing. It barely scratches the surface to the real thing IMO, but could be a good start point for someone if they are coached.

Wouldn't have helped this kid though that's for sure. He thought the real thing was an arcade game so he'd have no chance.

For the non-racers and non-gamers this might show the obvious differences:

I would say that expecting to gain racing experience from a video game is not a good idea - buy some racing days instead if you plan on learning to drive fast.

Games are games.

It's a huge cost for trackdays when you compare to 'simulator' type fun. Though you do get what you pay for, nothing is better than feeling every curb and bump. Tyres screaming for mercy! (so is your pocket book!) Experience days are a good option. Least you don't have to pay the maintenance/wear costs.

Would anyone be interested in going down to Southampton for a day? It's not a 'proper' simulator, but big projector screens with pedals/steering wheel.

http://www.theracecentre.co.uk/

It's 'cheap' fun and good for a laugh =) There is a decent pub not far from it too. Been here a couple times. I could look at getting something set up for later in the year.

Would love to have a go in a proper driving simulator but not as much as I'd like to do some actual track driving experience - bit put off by track days though that cost a lot of money for very little track time.......

Track days are not that expensive.

When we tracked our 2.0 turbo rover the rough costs where:

Track day - £120

Petrol - circa £200 or less depending on the track.. that's also driving to and from the track.

Tyres : they lasted 3 to 4 events.. depending on track.

So it's not that much and we got a good 2 - 3 hrs driving each. :)

I wish I had more time and the car still as I need to scratch my track day itch!

It's a huge cost for trackdays when you compare to 'simulator' type fun. Though you do get what you pay for, nothing is better than feeling every curb and bump. Tyres screaming for mercy! (so is your pocket book!) Experience days are a good option. Least you don't have to pay the maintenance/wear costs.

Would anyone be interested in going down to Southampton for a day? It's not a 'proper' simulator, but big projector screens with pedals/steering wheel.

http://www.theracecentre.co.uk/

It's 'cheap' fun and good for a laugh =) There is a decent pub not far from it too. Been here a couple times. I could look at getting something set up for later in the year.

I would be up for this. Been there before and it's a good laugh!

Would love to have a go in a proper driving simulator but not as much as I'd like to do some actual track driving experience - bit put off by track days though that cost a lot of money for very little track time.......

Track days are not that expensive.

When we tracked our 2.0 turbo rover the rough costs where:

Track day - £120

Petrol - circa £200 or less depending on the track.. that's also driving to and from the track.

Tyres : they lasted 3 to 4 events.. depending on track.

So it's not that much and we got a good 2 - 3 hrs driving each. :)

I wish I had more time and the car still as I need to scratch my track day itch!

Your pocketbook must be pretty deep to consider £500+ cheap for a few hours fun :D I guess relative to door-to-door racing it is.

Sounds good, will let you know when =)

Well I would say an average cost was around £250 each.. sometimes less sometimes more.

We drove from Portsmouth to Cadwell park.. did a full day on the track.. and drove back... I think we used just under 3 tanks of fuel.

We averaged 40mpg on the motorway and a stunning 9mpg on the track :D.

We got cadwell cheap at £120 for both of us. We had new tyres which where 50 a corner before we went.

I think for everything a full days smashing our car around cadwell it came to around £165 each... oh then new pads and discs when we got home so a total of £200 each.

Really not that bad in all honesty :).

We did our local track (Goodwood) and that only cost us £120 each for the whole day :).