Vipercar93's Project SRT-4 ACR

Vipercar93

Sounds like good progress :) What is DSP?

http://www.modernper...rt4_electronics

It's discontinued now, but basically it's like a code reader you are looking at, BUT can adjust fueling/spark/boost parameters for the engine at different RPMS. In my case I can change for every 1k rpms. I can adjust speed limiter/redline and when the fans come on too.

What you can do with them is get a 'CMR' dealer to totally remap the car to new components, mainly around the fuelling parameters.

What winter tyres you currently using? I didn't even take mine off during summer but I'm hoping it's cold this year so I can see what they're really like.

Nankang SV2 snow 205/50 R17 93V XL (Wi). At the time I was limited by the OEM strut perches + a cheap set of 17's a moving fellow SRTer decided to offload to me before he PCS'd. If I had to do it over I would stick with 16's and get a 60 series tyre with a 195/185 and turn the torque down by limiting low RPM boost. Which tyres do you use?

• 2 weeks later...

Well the fogs and headlights are in, winter tyres on, and new brake pads are in. The pistons pushed back harder than I like, and one side showed signs of slight sticking. Probably going to buy a rebuild for the front and rears for the next time I change the pads out. The rears showed signs of slight sticking earlier this year as well as water ect being bled out when I bled them, will see how they fare over the winter.

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=455

Can you not get remanufactured calipers over here for your car?

I can get them from the dealer, but other than that no. Last I checked they wanted £400 for a set of rear callipers... I will probably end up getting refurbs from the USA for the rear depending on shipping costs, but for the fronts it's a cheaper to rebuild the aftermarket Wilwoods than to buy a replacement calliper. I can get rebuild kits for the Wilwood from here, no need to go Stateside for them. Just let them know which calliper I have and they will send me new seals and pistons.

Thanks for the tip Tony. I cleaned them the best I could without popping them all the way out, they have been on the car now for 5+ years. I really don't want to rip a seal until I have the pennies to rebuild them properly. I think it's going to be a spring/summer job when I put new pads in again.

• 1 year later...

Not been on in a looong while, thought I would give an update...

Over the summer I replaced...

3rd gear

4th gear

Blocking rings on 3/4 and 5/R

Syncro springs (went stiffer)

3/4 shift fork

ACT 6 puck Clutch disk

Drive Shaft Shop (DSS) CV axles (rated ~600hp)

Rear Callipers

CV axle seals

Front wheel bearings

+other little transmission bits IE bearings/snap rings

Driving a bit more respectable now, don't want to repair this transmission again anytime soon....  

Job next summer... Rebuild the wilwood front brake callipers.  They have been on the car 6 years and are getting a bit stiff.  Need to adjust the sub-frame at some point and replace the passenger knuckle.  The strut mount was bent and twisted a little.  The camber plates allow me to run static equal camber, but would hate to see how it changes when moving though :eeek:  No plans to hit the track next year and the car drives 'ok' so it will have to wait.

Not done much then :o ...... Anyone would think you owned a Lotus :D

Haha Lotus would be much much for fun!  But so much much less practical. Least this way I can haul the family around too and goto the shops with reasonable ease. 

Welcome back viper, wondered where you had gone :)

Sounds like you have done a lot of work on the car. Do they suffer with gearbox problems then?

Been busy :) Thanks :)

Yes it's a pretty common problem.  I think it's a mix of poor part matching, the gears should really be shimmed into place to get rid of play.  The other problem is a de-lamination and premature wear problem on the blocking ring friction material.  The friction modifier that Dodge called to use supposedly attacked the material.  

Once the material was gone/worn the syncro's ground off.  Excessive pressure was then needed to get into gear and loaded up the shift fork gate which is only brass against billet steel selector tab on the shift linkage.  This wore the gate down and caused even more problems.  To the point where it wouldn't engage all the way sometimes and pop out of gear.  Meh....

Bloody hell that's one hell of a build error :huh: Still it reads like you know how to correct the problem, shame though for such a nice car.

Well I don't know if I corrected it, I hope I did!  I use a different oil and replaced the blocking rings with a carbon lined unit.  There is still play in the gear assembly, but didn't have the time/money to get/build shims. 

You mean 'rice' car? :)  

It's nice, but built on the cheap, these problems are because of that.  They cut corners where they could/wanted.  Luckily they didn't skimp on the engine!  Put it this way with the geometry setup they put on the car my turning radius is nearly 45ft!   They compromised turning radius for the ability to fit wider tyres.

Not bad though considering when I bought the car it cost around £11k new...

Fingers crossed on the fix then.... I know the lock is an issue hence the "lock stops" fitted to the hubs..... In reality all marques have their issues, i suppose it's the measure of the issue that matters and indeed the fix?

Thanks!

Fingers crossed on the fix then.... I know the lock is an issue hence the "lock stops" fitted to the hubs..... In reality all marques have their issues, i suppose it's the measure of the issue that matters and indeed the fix?

Yep :)   Driving normally it's never an issue, it's just parking!  I can live with that for the fun I have every day :)

With the help of the internet and a good forum i would give it a go.....

This is how I managed it.  The SRT forums gave me the help I needed to get the job done :)  Not sure if I could do the work I do otherwise :)

@Rich I agree there!  It's a pain working on my DD.  I took a week off work to rebuild the transmission.  I didn't need the whole week, but it gave me the time needed to take my time.  It's the forward planning bit.  Luckily Opie Oils now stocks my oil filter so I don't have to get oil/transmission fluid from the USA, but everything else....  1/2 the parts I had sat on 6 months before I actually tore apart the transmission.