My Goodyear's have split!

BuyPirelli

Not a happy bunny. I have just noticed that both of my Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymmetrics have extensive cracking on the inside.

These tyres are 10 months old, have done 10,000 miles and have over 4mm of even tread remaining.

Do you think it will be possible for me to claim from Goodyear etc? They MUST be part of a bad batch of tyres as I bought them at the same time from the same tyre garage.

Obviously I'm going to get them changed straight away, but can anyone offer advice in getting something out of Goodyear??

nearside.jpg

offsideyl.jpg

I'm assuming they haven't been run underinflated?

Nope! Even 4mm across all of the tyre. If I was the type of person to run them under inflated do you think I would be on WIM? :)

I didn't say you weren't but it's easy to get caught out. For example you might have slow punctures and even with regular checking/inflating they can still crack, happened to me on my missus old pug. Have you seen any other complaints on other forums about these tyres cracking?

Welcome to the forum as well :lol:

The split is the overlap between the tread and the sidewall, it's considered cosmetic but under the sale of goods act you have the right to return the tyres free of charge. Most times the manafacturer honour this type of claim and reimburse you a percentage relative to the remaining tread. Problem is in the interim you need to replace the tyres.

Unlike most "sale of goods regulations" tyre complaints due to defects "cannot" be claimed at fitting centre, the third party "manafacture" is the only one who can prove or deny a complaint.

Once proven the initial point of sale centre will provide the percentage recompence in the same monies as point of sale.

Why the difference to normal "sale of goods?

Unlike a tv with a blown transister, tyres are subject to all manor of mantainence requirements and abuse, an argument between the hostile customer and the tyre center cannot be concluded without evidence that's outside of the tyre centres abilities.

The tyre manafacturer welcomes anty defective tyres back in order to police their production line and avoid and serious concequences due to defective products, it for this reason all returns are at their expense and why they tend to be over generous on the percentage refunded.

Thank you very much for that Tony, though I can assure you the damage is far from cosmetic only. They are making all sorts of funny noises and kickback through the steering wheel, as they disort and flex.

So I am to speak with Goodyear, arrange to send them the tyres, and hopefully they'll order the outlet who sold them to refund me a certain percent?

Many thanks.

Understand in the interim period you will need to replace the tyres. In view of this you can go to any tyre centre, buy your tyres and explain you want the old tyres sent back under complaint. They should have the complaint form which they fill out for you takeing all the details, they then return the tyres "free of charge".

The manafacturer will inspect the tyre and reply back to you directly, if the complaint is proven the refund percentage on the "replacement tyres" will be offered to you and instructed to the tyre centre.

You don't need to go back to where you bought the tyres!!

Whoever replaces the tyres has an obligation to return the complaint tyres, it's not your problem, they fill out the forms and they return them free of charge.

The manafacturer pays the fees and compensates the fitting center..... All you need to do is agree a "tyre price" for the replacements and all the rest will happen out of your sight.

Thank you very much Tony. Will let you know how things progress, but I can tell you this is definately not a cosmetic issue.

As horrible as it looks i can assure you it is. If you lift the flap no cords will be seen, it's purely a poor join, nevertheless it's deamed as a complaint tyre/s, so i would send them back.

Thank you very much Tony. Will let you know how things progress, but I can tell you this is definately not a cosmetic issue.

As horrible as it looks i can assure you it is. If you lift the flap no cords will be seen, it's purely a poor join, nevertheless it's deamed as a complaint tyre/s, so i would send them back.

The car has been making some funny noises and generating a lot of bad feedback through the steering wheel and chassis, I had booked the car into a garage expecting a bill for new CV joints / gearbox diff / steering components. It turned out to be the tyres all a long. Parked with the wheels on full lock, the inner side wall of the tyre is completely disfigured and does not follow the curvature of the alloy. To put it blunty, these tyres are f****d - this is not a cosmetic issue!

There is a difference between the opinion of poor feedback, in comparison to audible and physically feedback. I will not drive with these tyres on regardless of which axle they are on.

I have spoken with Goodyear and my local tyre garage, they have confirmed everything Tony said concerning returns. Unfortunately no-where local can source winter tyres until next week, and its the same story for Vredestein summer tyres - so I have had to opt for another pair of Asymmetrics. Hopefully these will not go the same way, it will be my 4th pair on the car (the other two pairs have been faultless).

After several days of being messed around I finally have new rubber on the car. The good news is that my alloys weren’t damaged and the car drives much better, the bad news is that I’m £286 lighter and I am still feeling some impurity on full lock.

The car rides so much better though, and the steering feels twice as sturdy. In comparison the old tyres were like driving flat, with no sidewall rigidity (they were definitely at fault).

Not really had the chance to experiment, but will let you know how they progress. Only thing that concerns me is that maybe it’s the cars fault for damaging the tyres – is that possible?

• 2 months later...

Just an update on this;

Dec 2nd - Dropped tyres off at retailer with appropriate paperwork for the wholesaler they were being returned to, I am lead to believe the wholesaler received them the same day.

I have been in touch with the retailer who says the tyres are at goodyear, so I spoke with goodyear who denied this being the case and the whole saga is going round in circles. I've tried to speak with the wholesaler but they wont acknowledge my enquires as I do not have a trade account with them.

What a load of tosh.