Vectra B steering wheel vibration at 80mph

Hi - I so wish I was closer to you guys, followed many of your posts on the Vauxhall forums

My 2001 Vectra B has 61k - bought it recently. Steering wheel was off centre and vibrations from around 60mph so I got a full geometry setup and all wheels balanced on inner/outer rim. I did see the machine produce 0-0 when balancing

I now have a vibrating steering wheel at 78-82mph. Checked over suspension etc, all has no play so I'm guessing as its so high in mph that its still slight balancing

You guys are clearly the experts in what seems like a completely murky world - are they any hints/tips that you could help me with on resolving this?

Thanks in advance

this may be a stab in the dark, but check both drive shafts. they could have possible damage causing this 'vibration'

some cars have a drive shaft ballancer which is a rubber 'wheel' that sits on the drive shaft to stop this happening.

Hello

Problem with the Vectra wheel is the centre hole they use to mount the wheel on the balancer is cosmetically central, they need to be mounted like this

post-2-1272542905.jpg

post-2-1272542918.jpg

Anywhere that can balance centerless wheels ( French cars ) can correctly balance your wheels.

Hello

Problem with the Vectra wheel is the centre hole they use to mount the wheel on the balancer is cosmetically central, they need to be mounted like this

Hi Tony,

Ah man, they balanced them in the centre of the wheel - will explain it. At 80mph with small vibes through the steering, what weight would you expect a wheel to be out by - 5-10g?

Thanks my friend, I'll be taking this to Vauxhall main dealer - they have the correct fitment plates

I had a Vectra and tested the error between centre mounting and stud mounting and it averaged 25gms :(

As much as that !!

I wonder why the cones are still used then........

Because the Huweka kit costs 2k. Most garages would rather the occasional complaint than spend the money.

Tony, one more question. I've booked into a Pug dealer who has confirmed they use stud mount - would you insist on balancing on the inner and outer rim?

Thanks mate

Inner unless the wheels offset is zero.

Please do, and maybe the Vectra forum because i read this is an ongoing issue.

Amazing result, thanks for your help. Took the car to the 'old boys' garage and explained the situation, they were very reluctant to do it as they were concerned that their equipment was old fashioned etc. Gave them the go ahead regardless

They setup stud mount and balanced the fronts - I took it up to the dual carriageway and drove a significant speed, NO VIBRATION!!!!

Old fashioned balancer vs. centre mount all singing all dancing dynamic balancer = old fashioned wins

Priceless, will not touch another garage unless they use stud mount and will spread the word