Wider rear tyres = more grip always?

Carl_Silva

Assuming all the other factors stay same, including tread pattern, engine power, is this always so?

Also does it always result in faster acceleration?

And by wider rear tyres, I mean the sorts of sizes that are readily available in places like KwikFit, and Blackcircles ets, not F1 tyres...

What are the downsides of having wider rear tyres in real world situations? - Apart from the price of replacement!

Thanks

(Sorry I know this subject has been touched on before here)

Why would it result in faster acceleration? I don't know what power you're running (or whether you're AWD or not) but you probably won't saturate rear tyre grip in any other gear than first, and only then for launching. Even for launching the different between something like a 225 and a 245 section will be unnoticeable to you.

Whether a tyre works on your car is dependant on the rim width. Go to a wide tyre on a narrow rim and you'll get all sorts of handling oddities.

My understanding of having wider on the rear is to reduce oversteer, so if your car is well behaved already then you risk inducing understeer by increasing the rear width... :crying_anim02:

The wider tyre has the obvious dry weather grip advantage as does a wider rear track. Tyre saturation and pneumatic slip is less evident but..... In the wet another story. The wider tyre spreads the cars weight over a wider area so reducing the dispersal in the contact patch, also the ability to disperse water is compromised. F1 is a perfect example... Dry= slicks wet= grooved. Tyre calibration on a domestic level is very hard so i would say 'wide is not always wise'.