LUL indeed........

Tony

Cars will just have identity chips built into them that transmit their registration.

within ten years number plates will be obsolete. overnight cherished plates will be worthless!

Really.... Why?

will people still be driving themselves or will the cars be self-driving?

and ANPR :)

If you had a hit & run, drive off at a petrol station, armed robbery etc. you would need to identify the car visibly.

The smart technology would have registered the car on entry to the petrol station. With no cash what is the point of an armed robbery? The only way to steal money is through cybercrime.

ANPR would be redundant as the smart cars would always be connected to a network and be individually identifiable at any time. Look up "IOT Cars" or "Connected Cars". This is all being developed right now.

https://tmt.knect365.com/connected-cars-autonomous-vehicles/

and ANPR :)

If you had a hit & run, drive off at a petrol station, armed robbery etc. you would need to identify the car visibly.

And in 10 years time, does everyone suddenly get a new car with the connected technology? Or are we all going to be told that we need to take our cars into DVLA for reverse fitment of the new technology?

And where is all the infrastructure for this all going to come from? We've had electric cars for some years now, and I can count on one hand the number of charging points I've see this year, so rolling out new licensing infrastructure is going to take quite some time, then each individual with the requirement (like petrol stations, car parks, supermarkets, etc.) will need to invest and install new technology.

Each car on the road at the moment is still going to need it's identity, and there are cars on the road from many years ago, at a wild guess I'd say 100 year old cars are still road legal and will be used occasionally, so I can't see the good old number plate disappearing in my lifetime.

Plus would a connected car be a negative sale point.... Would the connected car also have big brother insurance watching you drive 24/ 7?.... Some time back there was talk about tazzer like guns to fry electrics if the police want to stop the car. The topic was born from the fact stop sticks don't work on run-flat tyres. So in the event of a connected car could anyone just turn it off?

And in 10 years time, does everyone suddenly get a new car with the connected technology? Or are we all going to be told that we need to take our cars into DVLA for reverse fitment of the new technology?

And where is all the infrastructure for this all going to come from? We've had electric cars for some years now, and I can count on one hand the number of charging points I've see this year, so rolling out new licensing infrastructure is going to take quite some time, then each individual with the requirement (like petrol stations, car parks, supermarkets, etc.) will need to invest and install new technology.

Each car on the road at the moment is still going to need it's identity, and there are cars on the road from many years ago, at a wild guess I'd say 100 year old cars are still road legal and will be used occasionally, so I can't see the good old number plate disappearing in my lifetime.

Should be easy enough to retrofit - just a small black box and some transponders that look like stickers.

Plus would a connected car be a negative sale point.... Would the connected car also have big brother insurance watching you drive 24/ 7?.... Some time back there was talk about tazzer like guns to fry electrics if the police want to stop the car. The topic was born from the fact stop sticks don't work on run-flat tyres. So in the event of a connected car could anyone just turn it off?

The big brother telematic car insurance is already with us - younger drivers can get big discounts. If you drive around with a smartphone with google maps installed you already have a record of all your movements stored. The positive will probably outweigh the negatives imho. 

Very interesting since this is a bike but notice it's only on track which is a very small hazard compared to the road. In addition a argument was had on TV questioning blame in the event of an accident and i think this could open some very taxing questions but i also believe it will happen.