Anyone used this, is it worth trying if you suspect problems with the CAT? I think the smell I've been noticing on the Accord is actually from the exhaust, so I'm suspecting it may be that. Amazon is doing it on a lightning deal later today so thinking of getting a bottle.

I've tried fresh petrol and a good blast but that doesn't seem to work. I have been using Esso fuel for months now and most times I put Redex in as well but I filled up yesterday with Shell so I'll see if that helps first.

I have never had a CEL on so if it's a sensor surely it would trigger that? I'll see if switching fuel helps but there was nothing on the exhaust when the MOT was done.

Not always. The engine coolant temp being out of range doesn't necessarily mean it will trigger a fault code. User a code reader to look at the odb data to see what the engine ecu thinks the temperature is.

If the engine ecu gets data that the engine temp is too cold then it will set the injector duration longer ie run the engine richer. Catalytic converters saturated with fuel (relatively speaking)will make them run inefficiently.

The engine temp ecu is usually diffetent to the engine temp gauge on your dashboatd display so use a code reader to verify.

Lambda values and checking that there's no vacuum leaks would be a good basic point also, as well as long term fuel trim.

Good luck

• Like 1

Of course burning redex will smell

I didn't think of that - I bought 4 large bottles of it so have used it every time I've filled up. I'll give it a rest then and see if it helps.

I have never had a CEL on so if it's a sensor surely it would trigger that? I'll see if switching fuel helps but there was nothing on the exhaust when the MOT was done.

Not always. The engine coolant temp being out of range doesn't necessarily mean it will trigger a fault code. User a code reader to look at the odb data to see what the engine ecu thinks the temperature is.

If the engine ecu gets data that the engine temp is too cold then it will set the injector duration longer ie run the engine richer. Catalytic converters saturated with fuel (relatively speaking)will make them run inefficiently.

The engine temp ecu is usually diffetent to the engine temp gauge on your dashboatd display so use a code reader to verify.

Lambda values and checking that there's no vacuum leaks would be a good basic point also, as well as long term fuel trim.

Good luck

Thanks, good advise.

I do have a coder reader that connects to the laptop but it's a chore plugging it in. I think I'll buy a wifi one and get an app for the ipad, it'll be quicker to check things like this then.

If you have an android device the apps are better and you only need a bluetooth reader

I have a bluetooth reader you can have if you pm me your address I'll pop it in the post , its just a cheap ELM327 but will give you the info you need

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-ELM327-OBD2-V2-1-Car-Bluetooth-Scanner-Android-Auto-Scan-Diagnostic-Tool-UK-/252180716703?hash=item3ab7245c9f:g:JnsAAOSw14xWNMjh

I have the ELM327 cable version, it does the job and that was the one I'd get, either BT or WiFi.

I do have a Nexus 7 but it's useless now after all the updates, which is why I was going to use the ipad. Thanks for the offer, I'll see if I can sort the tablet out and let you know :)