Lexus IS200 - 'Loose' feeling steering

BillNick

Hi Tony/WIM,

Visited WIM a couple of months back having had new bottom ball joints and wishbone bushes replaced I wanted the famous WIM geo settings applied to my IS200 once again. Unfortunately due to a seized steering rod Pete could not apply the settings and I went on my way to get a new steering rod fitted.

I have had the seized rod replaced now and plan to come back for the GEO. 

However aside from this over the past few months I have experienced a feeling of looseness in my steering which I have not felt before owning the car for 5 years.

I can't help but feel that there is play somewhere in the steering. I can wobble the steering wheel side to side whilst driving along without hardly any movement on the road. The car also wonders into any dips or creases in the road when I am braking even when I hold the steering wheel firmly with 2 hands.

I only had one steering rod replaced. Do you think there could be play in the other side? Have hit 100k now.

Do you think coming up to WIM for replacement steering rod on the 2nd side and a full Lexus IS200 geo at WIM would tighten up the response in the steering?

The steering wheel is also very slightly off centre and the car slightly veers to the left if i let go.

Help and advise appreciated as usual :-)

Bill

Hi Bill

I think we just need to do our stuff..... Thing is if the steering arm was seized then Pete wouldn't have been able to set the camber on that side because any adjustment on camber drastically effects the toe which he couldn't move. It's probable the balance of angles is off now hence the feeling.