Honda Accord ('06 7th Gen) to Civic Typr-R EP3 Wheels upgrade

djwozza

So these are the pretty awful 16" standard rims on my Accord with 205/55R16 Avon Tyres.

No problems with the grip etc, just a severe lack of any style whatsoever....

media7.jpg

Recently I purchased a set of EP3 Civic Type-R 17" Wheels for a bit of a steal. They are in need of a refurb & some fresh rubber, but I can do the refurb myself. I think they will look much better and will allow me to run some wider rubber, which is never a bad thing. i don't throw the Accord around like I did the Lexus, but tbh the only thing holding it back as a car are FWD, slightly soft suspension, & a lack of uprated ARB's. 

Anyway here are the rims

HondaEP317Alloys.jpg

HondaEP317Alloys4.jpg

HondaEP317Alloys1.jpg

All pretty much the same cosmetic condition, but all straight & true. One is missing a centre capAnyway I don't have them here yet as they are currently up near Aberdeen. 

I believe they are 17" 7J ET45 looking up on google, but uncertain 'til Mr Mole confirms for certain shortly. I am looking at tyre options. A lot of the Civic boys run 205/45 and some run 215/40 tyres, but I am wondering if 225/45R17's would just about fit without deformation. The online guides say it needs to be a 7.5J rim but its only 10mm wider than the Civic guys run on a regular basis on these wheels.

What do you think Tony? A tyre too far?

Also if anyone sees a secondhand centre cap going, shout me up!!

I have 7.5x17s on mine with 225/45/17 tyres and I think the standard offset for the Accord is ET55. If you can fit a 225 tyre to a 7" wide rim (I think you can) you shouldn't have any problems, the arches are fairly big. I run 16" Civic Type S rims in the winter and they do stick out slightly more with the ET45 offset but I've not noticed any difference in the handling.

They will be spot on once refurbished wozza, nice find....... Rich where's the tyre/ rim converter you put in the forum?

That was on the old forum, I never added it when we changed the software I'll have to see if I can.

I ran 225/45/17's on my old accord. No issues what so ever... Apart from the car then cried out to be lowered.

I only ever rubbed the arches with brand new tyre and compressed front suspension..even then it was so light it was the smallest of scuffs (would never go through the arch liner as it only bearly touched)

• Like 1

Built in Rim protection lol. I'm not throwing the Honda around like I did the Supercharged Lexus. Additionally that had lowered suspension, TTE ARB's and was RWD, so I won't be stressing the tyres out except in a straight line, but I'd like as much rubber on the road as is reasonably practical.

Just found this table online

Rim width | Min | Ideal Tyre | Max

05.0 Inch | 155 | 165 or 175 | 185

05.5 Inch | 165 | 175 or 185 | 195

06.0 Inch | 175 | 185 or 195 | 205

06.5 Inch | 185 | 195 or 205 | 215

07.0 Inch | 195 | 205 or 215 | 225

07.5 Inch | 205 | 215 or 225 | 235

08.0 Inch | 215 | 225 or 235 | 245

08.5 Inch | 225 | 235 or 245 | 255

09.0 Inch | 235 | 245 or 255 | 265

09.5 Inch | 245 | 255 or 265 | 275

10.0 Inch | 255 | 265 or 275 | 285

10.5 Inch | 265 | 275 or 285 | 295

11.0 Inch | 275 | 285 or 295 | 305

11.5 Inch | 285 | 295 or 305 | 315

12.0 Inch | 295 | 305 or 315 | 325

12.5 Inch | 305 | 315 or 325 | 335

So in theory 225 is the maximum allowed on the 7J

I think I came across that table as well, didn't look like it was written by any authority but I do think you'll be fine on 225 - I'm sure there were people on LOC running 225s on the standard IS200 wheels.

I just wonder whether you'll get the same support out of the sidewalls if they're stretched out of shape slightly but it's such a small amount I can't see it making a massive difference. But yes the accord is a more laid back kind of car so it might not even be an issue.

Does also say this though:

Oversizing tyres

If you want the fat look but don't want to go bonkers with new wheels, you can oversize the tyres on the rims usually by about 20mm (to be safe). So if your standard tyres are 185/60 R14s, you can oversize them to about 205mm. But make sure you recalculate the percentage value to keep the sidewall height the same.

Read more: http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html#ixzz3DarRJEPs

Does also say this though:

Oversizing tyres

If you want the fat look but don't want to go bonkers with new wheels, you can oversize the tyres on the rims usually by about 20mm (to be safe). So if your standard tyres are 185/60 R14s, you can oversize them to about 205mm. But make sure you recalculate the percentage value to keep the sidewall height the same.

Read more: http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html#ixzz3DarRJEPs

and also

Too wide or too narrow - does it make a difference?

Given all the information above, you ought to know one last thing.

A rim that is too narrow in relation to the tyre width will allow the tyre to distort excessively sideways under fast cornering. On the other hand, unduly wide rims on an ordinary car tend to give rather a harsh ride because the sidewalls have not got enough curvature to make them flex over bumps and potholes. That's why there is a range of rim sizes for each tyre size in my Rimwidthulator above. Put a 185/65R14 tyre on a rim narrower than 5inches or wider than 6.5inches and suffer the consequences.

In addition you may find that some places wont fit the tyres on an unsuitable rim , my mate is having this problem with his Suzuki Ignis, only Toyo will allow the tyre he wants to be fitted on the rim he has 

I spoke to Tyre Traders earlier who were happy to confirm the tyres I wanted in size 225/45/17 will fit fine, but would not recommend going any wider on a 7J rim size. I also got it confirmed in writing as well as verbally when I placed my order. 4x 225/45/17 Tyres for Â£164.21 which I am quite happy with. Should have my wheels back from refurb by Tuesday.