HOTW - F1 Style

voicey

I am over in Barcelona for the F1 winter testing this weekend.  Yesterday I spent the day in the Caterham garage and in the afternoon they were running a race simulation.  After one of the pit stops I noticed a rather bad flat spot on one of the front tyres - it was so bad that the wires were poking out from the core!  Unfortunately as I went to take a picture the Pirelli engineer put his hand over the area!

Full write up here: Link

DSC_0550_zpsc8c0c6ee.jpg

Great stuff! Have you picked up one of the mounted tyres - they are incredibly light.

I'm a little surprised that they even need balance weights as you would have thought that with the precision levels that they work to the rims and tyres would be dynamically perfectly balanced individually.

Question number one...... What you doing over there involved with the F1?

Two: What aree you doing with the Caterham team...

Three: A brake balance/ bias issue i assume?

1.  Just spectating mate, nothing more.

2.  Blagged myself some hospitality - I didn't mention my connections with Ferrari!

3.  No idea what caused the flat spot - they were testing different brake shrouds and cooling ducts so it might have been a braking issue or maybe driver error!

Are there wires in a F1 slick ??? I've never seen one but thought since drag tyres have no wires that F1 would have carbon threads or suchlike ?

No idea to be honest - all I saw was what looked like wire wool sticking out of the flat spot.  I wasn't supposed to be taking pictures in the garage so paused before reaching for my camera (thinking it would make a great HOTW!!).  The pesky Pirelli engineer picked the wheel up ask I snapped the pic!

Great stuff! Have you picked up one of the mounted tyres - they are incredibly light.

I'm a little surprised that they even need balance weights as you would have thought that with the precision levels that they work to the rims and tyres would be dynamically perfectly balanced individually.

I don't know if you read my write up but they have special weights for the inside to cope with the tight tolerances but the outside weights are the same as a normal road car (or so the Pirelli guy said)...

Thanks for sharing, that sounds like an awesome trip! Dunno how you blag your way into this but it's very impressive!

Interesting point on the tyres, so the soft and hard are made for higher temps and the medium for colder temps? Wouldn't have expected that, what's the reason? Not sure on the rules, is it mandatory to have 2 steps between race tyres now?