MX5 Mk3 Sport sounds clunky

se12

Hello,

Hope someone can help?

I've had my MX-5 MK3 2.0 sport for around eight years and it has covered 75k miles. When I drive along the road it feels much more 'clunky' going over bumps and potholes in the road than it used to do a few years ago. It doesn't particularly feel like anything is broken, but I definitely feel more bumps than I used to.

Is there anything that I can do to make the car's suspension feel 'newer' again? 

I've read about the geo-check and coilovers that WIM can do - would this bring a new lease of life back to my car? Or could it be that new shock-absorbers are needed?? 

I still like the car but I'm not sure if its just showing its age and maybe I should upgrade to a newer model?

Thanks in advance

Hello

At 75k the shocks are considered as job done. The recognized mileage is around 60k so the problem now is you cannot just change the coils because the dampers won't be able to control the rebound. Changing the coils and oils for OEM is very expensive so most turn to adjustable coilovers where you have control over everything.

Hello

At 75k the shocks are considered as job done. The recognized mileage is around 60k so the problem now is you cannot just change the coils because the dampers won't be able to control the rebound. Changing the coils and oils for OEM is very expensive so most turn to adjustable coilovers where you have control over everything.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info.

So to fix my problem would you say that I need to replace the shocks? Do you have a ballpark figure that WIM would charge for that?

Cheers

Definitely the oils and coils..... What type of suspension are you thinking? Non OEM dampers and coils would be the cheapest but not perform anywhere near as good as coilovers and then if your thinking coilovers what level of adjustment do you want..... Our preference is BC Racing coilovers because they are fully adjustable and come with new top mounts.

Hi Tony,

Thanks again for your reply. Unfortunately oils/coils/non-OEM dampers - it's all a bit over my head! :-)

I just want the car to feel the same way that it did when new - not harder or softer. Is that possible?

Thanks

Hmmm yes Tony, but what's the cost difference?

My personal experience with coilovers is they have a fairly hard ride. With a good shock/spring combo is near OEM albeit a bit stiffer with a drop

The ride on mine with BCR coilovers is great on smooth roads but as soon as you hit the dips and bumps you can feel it, same if you come off a speed bump too quickly. I think for long commutes it would get tiresome but as a weekend/summer car it's fine.

Hmmm yes Tony, but what's the cost difference?

My personal experience with coilovers is they have a fairly hard ride. With a good shock/spring combo is near OEM albeit a bit stiffer with a drop

Something like the BCR is cheaper than to replace with OEM.

Thanks for the info guys.

I don't want the suspension to be any stiffer and since I use the car daily for commuting and don't do any track days it sounds like BCR coilovers aren't for me. 

Tony:

Are you able to give me a price to fit OEM shocks/springs and do a GEO check?

Thanks

Tony. Would a non OEM shock spring combo be better and cheaper than OEM?

There are companies that offer fixed ride height and damping shock sets that offer a small drop and a little firmer ride.

Basically updated OEM stuff? Like spax , h&r, koni etc

I personally Will never touch height adjustable coilovers again. They have always been more trouble than they are worth. I would rather have a damper than I can adjust bump and rebound and have a non adjustable ride height

Tony. Would a non OEM shock spring combo be better and cheaper than OEM?

There are companies that offer fixed ride height and damping shock sets that offer a small drop and a little firmer ride.

Basically updated OEM stuff? Like spax , h&r, koni etc

se12 is looking to get the ride back to what it was. Most after market stuff will offer additions to the OEM like lower or harder plus getting the right combo to suit se12 would be a gamble for us.

Didn't the MK3 have the suspension raised before they were brought over here? So really OEM shocks and lowering springs to get it back to the height it's supposed to be is the way to go?