S2IM's MK2 1.8iS MX5

S2IM

So after a whirlwind weekend where the Corolla got bought by a family member, I took a day off to find another car quickly for running to and from work.

Test drove a Smart Roadster Coupe and an MX5. Choice was between the two. Absolutely could not get on with the Smart to plumped for the MX5!

Picked up a 99 1.8is with 75k on the clock. Owner didn't really know a great deal about the car but after having one 10 years ago I knew a little but it did have:

1. Full service history

2. A  years MOT

3. 9 months Tax

No cabin leaks and a small mark on the bonnet. Standard wheels have been swapped for 14's for some reason. All decent tread tyres but there are what I would call ditchfinders. Avent and Nokian's?

After 45 minutes of having it, I phoned up WIM and got it straight up onto the ramps for an inspection and Geo. Pete had a good look over and came back with some alarming figures. Basically its never been done so there was a sea of red everywhere. He pulled in what he could to ensure it was driveable but looks like it needs a new rear control arm to pull the drivers side into tolerance so waiting on the chaps getting back to me about that then it can be Geo'd fully. Car was also missing the sun visors so second hand ones ordered for a tenner :)

Have a few images of it but not sure how to upload if anyone can advise!

post-438-0-62238900-1392120325_thumb.jpg

post-438-0-19662800-1392132780_thumb.jpg

post-438-0-87263600-1392120331.jpg

Nice find...... The rear toe issue and i assume it's toe is quite common so don't think you've bought a catD or something.

On the image side of things go to the top right of the thread and click on "reply to this topic", once done at the bottom of the page you will see a "browse" option, from there you can upload the image after attaching it.

Looking forward to seeing it mate and the Corolla is back home - well down the same road anyway! :D I'll be interested to see what mpg you get out of this compared to the Corolla.

Email me the photos mate I'll put them up for you or just use tinypic.

Nice find...... The rear toe issue and i assume it's toe is quite common so don't think you've bought a catD or something.

On the image side of things go to the top right of the thread and click on "reply to this topic", once done at the bottom of the page you will see a "browse" option, from there you can upload the image after attaching it.

Iain isn't a gold member so can't upload directly to the forum :)

Hmm I can only see add/preview or cancel. No browse option. Do I need to be a gold member?

I had the car HPI'd before handing the money over and all clear on that front. Likely its hit a massive pot hole or had a bump off a kerb Pete reckoned.

Can you see the Geo results that were recorded yesterday Tony?

Hmm I can only see add/preview or cancel. No browse option. Do I need to be a gold member?

I had the car HPI'd before handing the money over and all clear on that front. Likely its hit a massive pot hole or had a bump off a kerb Pete reckoned.

Can you see the Geo results that were recorded yesterday Tony?

Seemingly you do need to be a gold member, sorry but it's only £10py.

And no i can't see the results but i would like to.

I road tested the Smart roadsters the day they went on release in the UK and yes it's like a go-kart, surprisingly quick and a great buzz to drive especially with an open top on a sunny day. They have been fraught with leaks in some of them through the door and mirror seals and through the scuttle which gets into the SAM.

Indeed as above. The one I looked at was being sold as water tight as it was from a smart indy. But I just didn't get on with it. The gear change was too slow. Too much lag on the turbo. Very mechanical sounding inside and lastly too harsh a ride for 45 miles a day.

But the MPG is amazing and the ability to take the roof of was a plus however the MX5 easily pipped it (even with a dodgy alignment set up!)

Just awaiting on the WIM chaps getting it booked back in for part replacement and set up again :)

Welcome back to MX5 ownership. Theres no contest between the mx5 and smart roadster for the reasons you mentioned above. MX5's cost peanuts to own and run - as long as you dont go silly with them..... :lol:

Me and Bitchard are planning a track day in a month or two - i suggest you get on it also.

I totally agree with Steve..... The MX5's handling, balance and grip limits are outstanding so i suspect you are vastly under driving the car. A day on track will display to you the grip limits and then you will realise the true reason people say the 5 gives the most smiles per mile than any other car in it's price range.

I totally agree with Steve..... The MX5's handling, balance and grip limits are outstanding so i suspect you are vastly under driving the car. A day on track will display to you the grip limits and then you will realise the true reason people say the 5 gives the most smiles per mile than any other car in it's price range.

Its your fault i have one tony. That bloody demo car!! :P

I'm vastly under driving it as it has cheap tyres on and a duff rear wishbone. Don't fancy a closer inspection of a crash barrier or hedge  :lol:

I had one back in 2004 (1.8i) which was done with Eibachs, set of lightweight 15's and Toyo Proxies and it was brilliant! So with the help of WIM I need to get this one to that stage again.

What are the WIM springs for the MX5?

Last time it was discussed i recall Tone knocked them on the head as their performance was being judged by people who run them on worn/past it shocks.

Sure he will be along to clarify anyway! I run them for a couple of years with no complaints.

Our own coils became unpredictable not because they were pants but the results laid fully on the dampers condition. Knowing this we decided to drop them.

Put it this way if your fitting 350lb coils on the front and 250lb on the rear and the dampers have done 80K then they cannot control the rebound despite the fact the actual poundage is reasonable.

Thats how i understood it. Its a shame really as they were good and the issue is the same across any springs that are manufacturered like eibach and koni etc etc. The difference is you care about the end result and customer satisfaction - which is fair enough ! :)

Completely different type of car but the Eibach I had on my Mondeo were fitted to worn shocks on the rear, the front were new. They had done around 160k miles when I fitted them, I thought they were brilliant.

So what happened with these MX5 springs if fitted to worn shocks, how would the car behave?

I would expect it to be bouncy and unpredictable towards the limits as the damper is not controlling the spring in a linear and controlled way. Basically not a desirable trait to have on the car. That is my understanding of it anyway.

And that makes sense. As the shocks get older I guess they slow down on the damping and don't work to the best of the springs. Ill probably hold of for some decent coilovers. Kind of handy having a jacked up MX5 in this weather :D

Roll on tomorrow when its going back in that's all I can say, Been driving on tenderhooks since Monday!

Coils and oils are a marriage, most owners are not aware of the history of the suspension so our only clue for the dampening would be the mileage. It could be assumed that 80k on the clock it has had new dampers fitted but that's the pinnacle point "assumed". New coils and 80k worn dampers results in a bouncy car and a complaint our coils suck...... It's for this unknown area i decided to discontinue the product.