Forum Issues

Has anyone been having any issues lately?

I know thread notifications aren't working and some new accounts or email changes aren't validating.

Sometimes when I post it looks like it hasn't and I get the egg timer but if I refresh the page it has posted. This doesn't happen all the time so I'm not sure if it's me or the forum.

• Like 1

Yes, I get the long time to post. I tend to open another window to see if it's posted or C&P just in case it's lost.

Just got it again, green egg timer thing and Saving post..

Not noticed it on this forum but had a few issues this past few days. Mine seems to be an issue with the latest Chrome update. I'm using Chrome Canary now which is the latest version but pre release and designed for devs. It's very fast and stable though. It lives alongside Chrome fine so you won;t lose anything. You  can get it HERE

Yep - that was the one I was having an issue with. 

Version 51.0.2704.84 m (64-bit)

I got frustrated so now use the dev version.

Version 53.0.2767.0 canary (64-bit)

Google Chrome is up to date.

I'm sure they'll sort the Release version out I'm just too impatient. Had to go and get my extensions again but no biggie, I only use a couple.

Mmm, I'm using the same version of Chrome at home and I also use it at work but will need to check it's the same version. I'll do some testing on other browsers for the posting issues.

I'm sure times used to show as 24hrs i.e. 19:00 for 7pm, has this changed or is it a setting I can change as it's now difficult to look down the posts for ones since you know you last logged on. If you get my jist.

This is usually due to high server load or database locking (or mostly a combo of both, with one causing the other), meaning the read thread following the post thread gets hung.

Are your www and db servers on the same server, and what are the load averages like?

This is usually due to high server load or database locking (or mostly a combo of both, with one causing the other), meaning the read thread following the post thread gets hung.

Are your www and db servers on the same server, and what are the load averages like?

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don't have access to the servers so I'm not 100% sure but I think they are. As for the load averages is there anyway of finding out without admin access?

Ah, OK, guess you're on a shared server then, which may explain the variable page loading times I see on WIM.

Most admin panels, such as cPanel, should have a option to display Unix load index, or if you have shell access, the unix command "uptime" will give it without admin rights.

If you're still not able to get it, I'll dig out or write some cgi-bin stuff for you to upload to get the info (would be a webpage that you give a unique name to (that only you know))

Ah, OK, guess you're on a shared server then, which may explain the variable page loading times I see on WIM.

Most admin panels, such as cPanel, should have a option to display Unix load index, or if you have shell access, the unix command "uptime" will give it without admin rights.

If you're still not able to get it, I'll dig out or write some cgi-bin stuff for you to upload to get the info (would be a webpage that you give a unique name to (that only you know))

I see you're hosted by Zen Internet. Give them a call, they are good enough that they should be able to give you the info you need :)

I don't have any admin access to the domain/server side of things, just the forum, which is why issues like this are more tricky for me to solve.

Tony and I don't have any access, it's taken care of by Blackboots, who give the work to a web design company and it was them who chose Zen as the host, therefore they won't tell me anything. I obviously have to go through a few people to find out basic things like this, which is annoying.

If you have some code that would tell me the information that would be very helpful and alot easier :)

• 1 month later...

Yes I knew that anyway but usually it only happens for a short period of time. It's like the The Boy said we're probably on a shared server so it'll more than likely happen again.

I am getting email notifications now so I think I've sorted that issue out.

Recently I have had a recurring problem with scrolling (it won't scroll or scrolls very slowly) it's not doing it at present and I've wondered whether it might be a problem with the batteries in my (ancient) Microsoft wireless mouse.

Recently I have had a recurring problem with scrolling (it won't scroll or scrolls very slowly) it's not doing it at present and I've wondered whether it might be a problem with the batteries in my (ancient) Microsoft wireless mouse.

Erratic scrolling will be a local (to you) computer issue, most likely your system is struggling to do what is being asked.  This can be embedded ads causing trouble, an old machine, or a compromised machine.

It could be the mouse, check if its only when using scroll wheel, or if also happens when using scroll bar on right of browser window.

It could be the mouse, check if its only when using scroll wheel, or if also happens when using scroll bar on right of browser window.

It's not giving trouble at present, but when it was, neither the scroll wheel nor the scroll bar would work. What really caused me to think it might be site related is that it doesn't do it on any of the other sites that I use.

That's strange, I've never experienced that before but I'm certain it can't be related to the forum. Have you tried the forum on different browsers to see if the behaviour is the same?

• 1 month later...