Restoring Headlights

Rich

Both the Accord headlights are in a terrible state now and need sorting out. I don't want to buy a kit for a drill as I have the rotary and various pads/polishes.

I'll try a compound first to see if it helps before going the wet sanding route but if I do what's the best paper/grades to get?

Any one got some tips on doing it?

Was this on the Accord, what colour did they go? Mine are looking a bit green and I'm fairly sure it's not on the inside but that's why I want to try polish first to make sure.

Will any laquer do or is regular waxing ok?

Good time for this conversation as I've been thinking about doing the same. I'll get a pic at some point but the ones on the Merc look like they have very fine cracks in the plastic though - are they too far gone to restore?

From my understanding that's only in the laquer or whatever top coat they use on headlights, which is why wet sanding is the best way to remove them. I'll try some polish on mine by hand to see if anything comes off but I'll probably get up getting some wet and dry. If it's not too difficult then I'm going to remove the lights and do them off the car.

What paper did you get Adam, can you get the multi packs with all the grades needed in them?

From my understanding that's only in the laquer or whatever top coat they use on headlights, which is why wet sanding is the best way to remove them. I'll try some polish on mine by hand to see if anything comes off but I'll probably get up getting some wet and dry. If it's not too difficult then I'm going to remove the lights and do them off the car.

What paper did you get Adam, can you get the multi packs with all the grades needed in them?

That's good to know thanks! Sorry to use you as a guinea pig but I'll see how you get on and then I'll prob give it a go too :)

Both the Accord headlights are in a terrible state now and need sorting out. I don't want to buy a kit for a drill as I have the rotary and various pads/polishes.

I'll try a compound first to see if it helps before going the wet sanding route but if I do what's the best paper/grades to get?

Any one got some tips on doing it?

Some pics would help?

I bought this kit some time ago, I've known a few that have used it and the results are great, still not got round to doing mine :lol:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0078IHJ1K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_cglDxb7F02RGQ

I was thinking of getting that but TBH all I need is the sandpaper. I have a rotary, small and large backing plate/pads, 3M tape and polish.

That kit takes a big jump in the grade, P500, P800 and then P3000, plus 500 is quite abrasive. I was thinking of getting this pack of paper, which goes from 400 to 3000 and I'd have plenty left over - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandpaper-Assortment-Automotive-Furniture-Finishing/dp/B01CDYSGKG

Tony, they don't look any different to the photos on the Amazon link above.

• 1 month later...

After some reading I've decided to get this sandpaper, it's the same as what I linked above but you get an extra 2 sheets of each grade for £2 more.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01F6MDL7U

I'll start with 1500, 2000 and finish with 3000, then polish and seal them.

It's just finding the time now when the missus isn't using the car!

• 2 months later...

Well now I've got the car back it's time to start those jobs that need doing, this being the first so I tackled it on Saturday. Took around 3 hours in total with removing the lights. There are still some fine scratches and swirls on them with the lights switched on but they are 100 times better than before. I'm really pleased with the results.

Before

DSC_8092.JPG

DSC_8094.JPG

DSC_8095.JPG

DSC_8096.JPG

DSC_8097.JPG

After wet sanding (1000, 1500, 2000, 3000 grit)

DSC_8099.JPG

DSC_8100.JPG

DSC_8102.JPG

After polishing (Microfibre spot pad and Gtechniq P1 on a rotary)

DSC_8103.JPG

DSC_8106.JPG

DSC_8107.JPG

DSC_8108.JPG

Before on the right, after on the left

DSC_8109.JPG

After, both sides done and protected with Optiseal

DSC_8113.JPG

I rushed the photos of them back on the car so they don't do them justice but I am really pleased with them, definitely a worthwhile job and satisfying.

The only downside is they show the rest of the car up now so I need to polish it asap! :lol:

Looks new...... I watched this being done on Wheeler Dealers and thought it was a load of tosh but by the time they had finished they looked new like yours "as new!.

It's only UV damage to the outer plastic covering, which is why it's best to wet sand that layer off and polish them, it works a treat. I was a little nervous taking sandpaper to my headlights but it's fine. You do need patience though so if that's something you haven't got get someone else to do it.