Honda Civic 1.6. SE Executive Auto

Rich

When I said about doing that on the mondeo you said not to bother as they're very high maintenance. Would they make the handling any firmer over standard? I'll find out how much they are compared to rubber ones.

How does the ball joint work, seems a strange setup to what I'm use to?

Poly bushes are 100 quid so won't be getting those, standard will be fine.

It was a very nice drive up here, especially as I wasn't driving! :lol: All the weight had slowed the car down though. to overtake you'd need a clear run but for a gentle cruise through the country lanes it was perfect :)

I'm not sure if the brake fluid as gone down, if it has it's not much. I'm still keeping an eye on it though.

Polly's are high maintenance but low cost by comparison, it's Hobson's choice?

The car is staying standard so I don't think it's worth spending £££ on poly bushes if standard ones will last 90k+ miles. The squeak my rear arms made when they dried out was terrible, can't be doing with that again. I just need to work out if it will be cheaper replacing the whole arm or just the bushes. Will the car being fully loaded make the worn bush more noticeable. The car felt like it was trying to wander sometimes across the road, abit like when the mondeo bushes are knackered, you get that floaty feeling.

The car made it to Norfolk ok, we averaged 33mpg, which isn't bad considering we had the roof box and it was fully loaded. We got 341 miles to 46 litres of petrol and 150 miles was motorway/A roads the rest around the towns.

I need to order some filters now to do the service. Not sure how I'm going to remove the oil one on the drive as it looks like it's in an awkward place, in the middle halfway down the block.

The missus also managed to hit a tree branch on a country lane and put a full length scratch down the passenger side!! :lol: It's not that deep so should polish out.

• 2 weeks later...

The full tank we put it before we came home from Norfolk got us 290 miles before the light came on, which means there is 42 litres left. That works out to around 30mpg but then half that journey was with the roof box on and then the rest around town so lots of start/stops. On the way home I drove some of it and I seem to activate the kick down more than the missus so that could be where the extra fuel is going! :smile_anim: We're going back to the van next weekend but won't have the roof box this time. Will be interesting to see what the MPG will be.

the light came on, which means there is 42 litres left

Light comes on with over 8 gallons left? Surely not.

With 8 litres yes, not gallons! That's what the handbook says anyway...

• 5 weeks later...

Now it's getting dark earlier the headlights are getting used more. I noticed over the weekend that they keep dimming though when driving. I parked next to a wall and left them on and sure enough they would dim slightly after a couple of minutes before brightening up. Could this be a sign the bulbs going or maybe a bad earth? Don't have a clue what to check!

Now it's getting dark earlier the headlights are getting used more. I noticed over the weekend that they keep dimming though when driving. I parked next to a wall and left them on and sure enough they would dim slightly after a couple of minutes before brightening up. Could this be a sign the bulbs going or maybe a bad earth? Don't have a clue what to check!

was the aircon on ?

I would say that yoruu battery is possibly starting to go OR you could do with replacing the main earth leads on the car.

Also, time to get some better bulbs :o

you also deffo wont need to remove the bumper to get to the lights.

not sure on the civic, but for the side lights on the accord i have to get access through the arch liner, the other lights are tricky to get at but are possible through the engine bay.

was the aircon on ?

I would say that yoruu battery is possibly starting to go OR you could do with replacing the main earth leads on the car.

Also, time to get some better bulbs :o

No it wasn't on. Could be the battery I suppose but the car starts fine and not had any other eletric issues. I suppose it could just be some corrosion on the earth leads, I'll have to take a proper look.

The bulbs are H4, so the all in one jobbies, I hate these! The Mondeo had all separate bulbs so if one went you still had some light. I will probably get some of the Xenon bulbs.

you also deffo wont need to remove the bumper to get to the lights.

I'm sure I read somewhere that to change the bulbs the bumper needs to come off but I've not actually looked yet.

Geez Rich you don't half fuss over your motors eh ? I wouldn't have even noticed untill it stopped working altogether. I spent the whole summer with a wonky brake light becaue I coudn't be arsed to change it. Become a bit of a running joke when I was on the club for Mantas.... :unsure:

:unsure: I've been like that since I got the Mondeo Pete. My other cars I never worked on and didn't really give a toss about them but when I got the Mondeo I told meself I would look after it and fix anything that needs doing....been like it ever since! I would rather get it sorted now though than it fails in the middle of winter and I have to sort it :lol:

• 1 month later...

Haven't looked at what's causing this yet but I noticed the other night that when operating the windows they also cause the lights to dim, so could it be the battery? It does it on the Corolla as well, when operating the windows.

I haven't got around to ordering the wishbones yet but I saw these on ebay for £60 delivered and that's a pair! Seems very cheap to me seeing that I was going to pay £55 for a single arm. Trouble is do I get them and hope they last longer than 12 months. Get the single arm, which could be the same quality or get a genuine arm for £200. Although the bushes on these arms are alot thicker than those on the Mondeo I just don't want to be changing arms every year or 2 like I did on that.

• 3 weeks later...

I think they put the wrong price on those wishbones for £60 a pair as they're now £110!!! Seems they've sold a few already at the lower price and I was going to buy them soon. Teach me to dither, when I see a good deal I should just buy it! :)

• 3 weeks later...

What a stupid place to put the damn oil filter!!! At the rear of the engine halfway up above the driveshaft. The only way I could get to it was crawl under the car on my back, undo it as quickly as I could while oil dripped down the sleeve of my arm and then quickly put it over the pan to drain the oil out...what a messy job!! On the Corolla it's at the front and vertical so I just unscrew it and as long as you keep it upright hardly any oil comes out.

And when I was pouring the old oil into the bottle the flaming sump bolt washer was in the bottom! :D I was feeling around the hole when I removed the bolt for a washer but couldn't find/feel it. Must've been stuck to the sump and then fell in. Hopefully it will be ok without it, will have to check it for leaks over the next few weeks.

Haven't looked at what's causing this yet but I noticed the other night that when operating the windows they also cause the lights to dim, so could it be the battery? It does it on the Corolla as well, when operating the windows.

Bit delayed but my Lexus does this as well, the lights and dash lighting dim if you put extra load through. It gets worse as the battery gets older, but it's still there even when new, just to a lesser extent.

It must be a Jap thing :D

Bit delayed but my Lexus does this as well, the lights and dash lighting dim if you put extra load through. It gets worse as the battery gets older, but it's still there even when new, just to a lesser extent.

It must be a Jap thing :D

The Corolla does it as well but it's worse and more noticeable with an LED dash, but it only tends to be when the car is still warm. Apparently it's to do with the air pump on my car.

• 3 months later...

Bought some more rims and collected those Friday night, they're the same Honda ones but in better condition, i.e. no corrosion although some kerbing. The summer tyres will be going on these, which are the 2 P6000's we removed and going for Uniroyal Rainexpert for the other 2 as they get very good reviews.

When I went to collect the wheels I noticed the guy has a car behind his locked gated driveway covered up. I thought it was a 300SX with the big sloping bonnet so I asked him and it was a Lotus Esprit (2.2 Turbo) in grey, was mint! :) I've pointed him in this direction.