Insurance time again!

As I took out a multi policy with Admiral last year both cars are due for renewal at the end of this month. I've not had a renewal quote yet, when do they send them is it 2 weeks before it's due?

Last year it was £205 and £215 to insure them after doing several quotes on the Admiral website and it went down each time, if anyone remembers! I was going to try and do a quote as a new customer but it recognises that I'm an existing one.

The help bit for convictions made me laugh, as if anyone is going to declare points that are no longer on their license - how would they find out if they've been removed!

Include all conviction codes that appear on the paper counterpart of the licence or have expired and have been removed but are still within the last 5 years. For Northern Ireland, you may need to use the nearest UK equivalent.

So far quotes are coming in at around £250 per car but with unknown insurance companies who get bad reviews and I think I'm probably best to avoid them?

Use Chrome browser and tools ( far right ) and Open new incognito window - then try. Sure you can do it with other browsers but I don't use them. This then doesn't use existing cookies or save them or save data at the end :)

That's the first thing I do every day at work and how I've been doing the quotes! :) I think with Admiral my details (and the cars) are obviously on their system.

I didn't realise Google had a comparison site now, I've just done one and the cheapest for the Accord is £237 but the companies are getcover.co.uk, autonet, devitt, screen trade and so on  <_>

Aviva want over £400 and I haven't tried Direct Line yet but previous quotes have been similar.

There doesn't seem to be many cashback offers and usually the quotes with those are more anyway.

Has anyone used Barry Grainger?

I've not tried CK, Sky I won't use again and Prestige has a minimum premium of £300.

Greenlight are for performance/modified cars otherwise I would've got a quote from them.

I'll try some of the cashback quotes when I get home and I know they'll track properly.

Sky owe me money but won't give it to, instead they've kept it as a credit on 'my account'! That's reminded me I was supposed to write to them saying I wasn't happy with them holding on to my money, I must do that!

Chris Knott were good but then Sky started beating them, can't hurt to get a quote I suppose.

I still hadn't received my renewal so I emailed them earlier and just got a reply to say they're online now! They want £200 more for both cars than what I paid last year!! The breakdown shows it's £100 more per car  :thumbsdown_anim:

I can't do a new quote online under a different name now cos it recognises the address, unless I do one with my neighbours number maybe just to see what it comes back with.

I suppose I could use the quotes from the unknown companies on the comparison sites to get them to match or beat it, which is £100 cheaper than renewal but still £100 more than last year. I'd rather move away from Admiral altogether though.

I'll give CK a try, do they have a minimum premium amount?

Edit - Just did a quote with Direct Line just for my car and it's £466 - what a joke!

Have you spoken to Admiral on the phone? I found my renewals got more expensive this year but after I'd finished with them on the phone they were considerably cheaper.

Last year the Ferrari was pretty much £1000 (expected as the first year), this year even after the accident (admittedly non-fault) and the 3 points for speeding my renewal ended up as £800 after haggling which I was very happy with.

No not yet I'll probably ring them tomorrow or Friday once I've got some more quotes. Is this what you did or did you just complain it was too high so they dropped it?

I'm actually finding the online quotes for Admiral as single policies are around the same as renewal now. The cheapest ones are still around £250-£260 per car but Tescos is £280 and TCB is doing £42 back as well. I'll do a quote on the Tesco Bank website later to see how it compares.

Paying just over £200 a car would be ideal but it looks like I'll have to settle for £250 this year.

I got a better rate going with axa direct including each other on other insurance as banned drivers with business full comprehensive. Far cheaper than the multi car admiral did.

I've found the comparison sites biased on the results but Money-supermarket was more neutral in this area.

It's like dealing with the stock exchange :(

No not yet I'll probably ring them tomorrow or Friday once I've got some more quotes. Is this what you did or did you just complain it was too high so they dropped it?

I tried the comparison sites first but nothing was really coming out cheaper than my renewals, so thought I'd just have a go at complaining on the phone and it worked! Called up and just said it's too expensive and they applied discounts to the 3 premiums and made them all cheaper. It seems they have a certain allowance available to them that they can apply to satisfy customers that complain.

• Like 1

Shahz, how much are you paying with CK?

The problem with companies like AXA is they quote stupid prices for me, maybe my age is still against me with some companies. I did a multi car quote with Aviva, which was just over £700, then I realised I hadn't added protected no claims or reduced the excess and it's now £840 for both cars!  :blink:

The cheapest quote for the Accord so far is directly on the Tesco website (not comparison) at £272 but with a £450 excess. I reduced that to £100 and it's £302, minus £42 cashback so £260 but that is still £45 more than last year! I just need a quote for the Civic now but I'll ring Admiral once I have and see what they say.

If I remember right it went up a bit this year but then so did my mrs premium, guess that's just a general premium increase; around £600 with protected NCB, again off the top of my head excess of £250.

I had the same, some companies were quoting £1800 odd, guess it's just there way of saying we don't really want to insure you, they see a rear wheel drive 3ltr car and think forget it.

Hats off to CK for actually asking me when I first insured it if I had experience of a rear wheel drive. Said yes, 10 years plus in the Lexus and they said that's fine!

Still quite a jump in comparison to the Lexus which I was paying around the £270 mark!

Yeah I think that's alot of it, some companies just want a certain type of driver and if you don't meet their requirements they over price you. Fair enough if it's an 18 year old who's just passed their test but I'm in my mid 30s! :lol: Aviva ask for accidents under 4 years so I didn't even have to declare that to them.

It does sound like I won't be getting it for less than £500 for both cars and they have said insurance has increased this year as well. I suppose it could be worse, I would hate to be a new driver nowadays with the starting premiums they have to face!

Yep it's a joke with all the hassle renewal causes! Give me a fair price and I'd probably just renew it.

Was on the phone to Admiral for around 10 minutes, they knocked £40 off each policy then had some kind of glitch so need to phone me back later! They still haven't knocked enough off though.

Try calling them back to talk to someone else rather than wait for them to come back to you, you'll end up getting more of a discount (I did anyway)

Insurance prices have gone up in general, I think it's a bit silly that insurance on the Lexus is about £400 when on the Ferrari it's £800 - that difference doesn't really make any sense given how worlds apart they are in terms of value and performance.

I bet they don't phone any way. They need to drop it another £40-£50 until it's at a price I'm happy with. If they won't I'll just cancel and buy the Tesco quotes I've done.

I missed the call on Friday but the person I spoke to just rung again. Quoted £574 with free upgraded legal protection but said it was still expensive. Dropped it to £544 but I still think that's too much so they cancelled the renewal.

I'll try some more online quotes but think I'll be going with Tesco. Will be £17 more after cash back but I really didn't want to stay with Admiral unless they dropped the price significantly.

Fair enough, I done the same with the AA, after 15 + years of getting ripped off, I finally got a quote from rac who where considerably cheaper, aa said they would match it, I said unless you can beat it I'm not renewing! I'm now with Rac

The AA and RAC are always double what the best quotes are for me! I was actually surprised this time cos Admiral, Elephant, Bell etc always come out at or very close to the top. This time the online quotes were almost £100 more than the cheapest  :blink: Maybe they've had to pay out on a lot of claims in the last year.

I don't think there is anyone left to try now apart from the smaller insurers but I can't see them being cheaper, most have a minimum premium policy as well.