Is my BMW a write off?....

Tony

I need to be a little restrained because the person who did this has been arrested....

The damage is NSF wing, NSF door and OSR quarter panel. The damage in all three areas is along the creases so i doubt they can be repaired without replacing the skins and if so i fear they will write it off?

post-2-0-58684200-1512293088.jpg

post-2-0-27910300-1512293111.jpg

post-2-0-01358600-1512293126.jpg

post-2-0-46467200-1512293138.jpg

post-2-0-54320000-1512293149.jpg

HiTony,

You need to talk with a solicitor and/or your insurance company about raising a civil claim against the person responsible.

That will be a tort of trespass to goods (IIRC) and you should be entitled to recover the damages* caused (plus your costs). This needs to be done before the criminal case, then you have the civil case riding on the back of the criminal one.

Obviously, you can only get money from the accused if he/she actually has any - which is why it's worth starting as soon as you can and involving the insurance company/solicitor - they have better access to investigations than you do.

Don't wait - the civil case needs to be started as soon as you can - once the criminal case is over, I believe you've lost your window.

* legal damages should put you back in the same position as before the incident - either a total repair or another BMW in the same condition as yours was.

Colin

• Like 1

I'm surprised people still get TPFT insurance.

Maybe this could work to your advantage as I thought you were trying to sell the car so at least if it's written off you'll have the money. Maybe see how much you can buy it back for and sell it to someone who can repair it themselves.

The girl only paid £500 for the car and being a single mum TPFT is all she could afford. Sad thing is she only had the car for a day before it was written off :crying_anim02:

You are correct Rich i was thinking of selling the car but i know it's only worth book value by the insurance, the fact it was unmarked and only 65k won't help the true value. As for buying it back.....I don;t think so because it would cost to much to repair.

The girl only paid £500 for the car and being a single mum TPFT is all she could afford. Sad thing is she only had the car for a day before it was written off :crying_anim02:

You are correct Rich i was thinking of selling the car but i know it's only worth book value by the insurance, the fact it was unmarked and only 65k won't help the true value. As for buying it back.....I don;t think so because it would cost to much to repair.

In a lot of cases fully comp is cheap than TPFT, people assume it's more expensive.

I didn't say you had to repair it but if they let you keep the car you could sell it damaged as spares/repair to top up the insurance money.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did haggle but they weren't having any of it saying they have been fair with the market price although they would sell the car back to me at a fair price but i declined. Reason for this is the car would have a cat:D od C? marker on it plus it will need insuring again and so on.

Last week i bought her another newer BMW with better spec but it's an expense i didn't want but nothing a steel bar and some knee caps won't resolve whistle.gif

I thought you were selling the BMW anyway cos it doesn't get used so why buy another one? :huh:

I would've asked how much you can buy it back for first. If it's cheap enough you could just sell it on to a breaker.

Since i decided to put the 360 to bed for the winter it means i need the Vectra for work so Elaine needs transport... I could see the old BMW start to cost money due to it's age. The insurer hinted about 1k to buy it back but then add insurance and maybe tax it just wasn't worth the aggro.

You won't need to tax and insure it if you sell it on. I'm sure someone who can break it or can repair it themselves would pay more than £1k for it. You'd have to see how much that model is selling for in good condition and weigh up whether it's worth it.