Horror of the week 17/05/11

Tony

A high end Mercedes was booked with me today with some really odd handling issues. It had some work done at the dealers but soon after the owner complained of serious handling issues, they measured the geometry and seemingly corrected it. Nevertheless the poor handling continued.

The description was.....

1: Random bolting to either side

2: Scary cornering

3: Steering position "changing"

The car was returned to the main dealer with the owner insisting their work was rechecked and if found to be fine then to continue looking for the cause, the car was returned with no problems found.

I measured the chassis and was really concerned with the NSR toe position at -42', this was despite the toe adjuster was already maxed out? The logical thing to do now is return the adjuster back to it's OEM position so i could establish the full amount of adjustment required, this i did and then held a figure of -2 degrees 48'.

The car had not been in an accident, so what's wrong? Triangulation says the problem is longitudinal so i examined the pick up points that control the toe and found this

post-2-1305659102.jpg

This is the rear toe control arm where it connects to the hub, it would appear the locking bolt was left off during the previous work and the arm was allowed to float and as it did in and out the toe on the NSR changed.

The toe arm has no redundancy's so had the bolt detached it would have been barrier time.