Rich's 1999 MX5 1.8i S

Rich

Previously I've jacked mine up on the diff casing (block of wood between jack and diff) and axel stands on sills or wishbone mounting points. Another option is make some wood ramps to make the angle up on the ramps more shallow. You can even get pre made metal ones.

You can remove the filter by putting your arm down next to the intake manifold and unscrew it by hand. It's a bit tight but doable. I always get mine out that way. Just put some paper town down under it to catch excess oil.

Thanks Steve will take a look, is it ok jacking on the diff (with a block of wood) it won't damage it?

I can't be bothered with making or buying ramps, the only time I'll use them is undersealing the chassis but I would prefer it being on these than axle stands. I'll have to see how high my jack can get it.

On every car i have owned i have never put axle stands on the sills. I always put them on the lower wishbone pickup point on the chassis.

On the front that's fine but you can't always put stands on the rear so they have to go on the sills.

No jacking it up on the diff wont damage anything. I've done it loads of times with no issue. You just need to put a grppy bit of wood between the jack cup and casing so you it doesn't move and doesn't mark it up. As you jack up just watch the position of the cup on the casing - all the standard safety disclaimers apply! Bricks in front of the front wheels, hard level surface etc.

You should only do this as a temporary means to get some stands under the sills or ramps under the wheels. I've always used stands on the sills at the designated hard points - they are perfectly fine for supporting the cars weight as long as they are not rotten!! i put my wheels under the sills as well so if the worst happens you a least have those in between you and the ground. So in summary i use axel stands, wheels under the car and i also leave the jack in place taking the weight ever so slightly. If you use proper ramps then most of this isn't required,

So in summary i use axel stands, wheels under the car and i also leave the jack in place taking the weight ever so slightly.

That's exactly what I do as well, can never be too careful!  :)

These look great but abit pricey! :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sports-car-long-low-profile-low-angle-incline-lifting-Ramps-2000Kg-a-pair-/251174359693

I'll get shot down in flames for this probably but i have a set of these :

413WACEPc2L._SY300_.jpg

I since i struggle to jet a jack under the car anywhere i use these to get the front up. I have in the past also changed the oil using these in place. Not saying anyone else should do this but i have done so with no issue.

Some people on DW use them as well and if they can support the weight of a caravan they are fine for a car. They just don't seem very high for getting under the car but just to raise it for getting a jack under they're perfect. I think the sump plug on the MX5 is to the side isn't it so they'd be ideal for just raising the car a little to undo the bolt.

Car is taxed and just got back from a drive, really loving it! :D

I might have to watch the battery, it started first time but struggled a little and it's only been a week and half since I last used it. I'll be using it as much as possible now until the end of October so hopefully it'll be ok.

I didn't get to go out, had a few beers! I'm using it all week though and contemplating taking it when we go away to use on the Norfolk country roads but it's going to cost about £60+ extra in petrol, not sure I can justify it.

I don't think I'll be taking it, it's not really fair to make the missus drive all the way up there tonight, maybe next year :)

I drove the car in the rain going home from work on Wednesday and the rear slid a little on a couple of roundabouts, I was driving normally as well. I'll have to watch that, I take it RWD is easier to lose in the wet compared to FWD? Although the Toyo's don't get great reviews in the wet anyway.

In the dry they are pretty grippy, I'm amazed at how quick I can accelerate around roundabouts and bends!!  :D

RWD not necessarily easier to lose, but harder to control. FWD will just give you understeer, RWD can mean a spin before you even know what's happening. Although the MX-5 has quite a decent chassis (from what I hear) and not overloaded with power so should be a good car to learn RWD :)

It doesn't get any more ideal other than checking if you have an lsd.

A different brand of rubber might help in the wet but at least this way you can touch the edge of adhesion without going mad.

You should try driving a supercharged one with Yokos (s***e) in the wet. It keeps you alert ;)

RWD not necessarily easier to lose, but harder to control. FWD will just give you understeer, RWD can mean a spin before you even know what's happening. Although the MX-5 has quite a decent chassis (from what I hear) and not overloaded with power so should be a good car to learn RWD :)

I've only ever lost it once in the wet on a FWD and that was in my Mondeo with ditch finder tyres! I had stopped at a small roundabout in torrential rain, pulled out, turned right and the rear decided to slide out (must've aquaplaned) and I nearly spun but managed to save it!

I'm going to try and do a training day or something on an airfield so I can learn how to deal with things like this properly and find the limits of the car.

It doesn't get any more ideal other than checking if you have an lsd.

A different brand of rubber might help in the wet but at least this way you can touch the edge of adhesion without going mad.

You should try driving a supercharged one with Yokos (s***e) in the wet. It keeps you alert ;)

Yes it has a LSD, which is supposed to help alot.

I can imagine yours is a handful in the wet! :lol:

Personally I would steer clear of airfield days. Loads of rocks and debris around and will destroy your tyres in short order. First and last airfield day I did I got a 5 inch nail in a brand new toyo. Get yourself on a proper swept track it will be so much better.

Sounds like there's probably a few brown pants moments there!
The last vaguely interesting incident was leaving cobham services on the m25. Long left hand bend, wet, loads of diesel down = crossed hands almost and some raised eyebrows from behind (maybe a round of applause) lol I left the bend giggle like a girl and that's why she's still with me 5 years on :)

Personally I would steer clear of airfield days. Loads of rocks and debris around and will destroy your tyres in short order. First and last airfield day I did I got a 5 inch nail in a brand new toyo. Get yourself on a proper swept track it will be so much better.

Thanks for the tip - was toying with the idea of doing an airfield trackday myself, will rule that out straight away!

Thanks Shahz :)

I'd definitely get one, so much fun! :D

How does a nail end up on an airfield :( Haven't you been to Bedford a few times, that's an airfield isn't it?

I think some of these training days actually use their own cars as well so it might be ok on an airfield with those.